Which WiFi system to install

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
I hope to fit a WiFi or it is MiFi system in the van.
So advice please, do I go for a complete system from Falcon or Avtex or a mix of components such as roof antenna and router?
Also which system if a complete one is best for reception (I know a lot of this would also depend on SIM card providers). As there seems to be a great variation in price from various models of same maker.
Last bit, biggest data use would most likely be TV streaming (I think)
Thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Do what I did and contact the experts
Motorhome Wifi
After discussion we worked out what I needed, and which provider etc, and then they arranged for it to be fitted.
A pair of mobile technicians arrived in a van from Birmingham (van was in Kent) and fitted and tested the entire system in about 1 hour!
(They were doing 4 more that day in the same area)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
I have the Avtex system. Combined with an EE sim it provides great Wi-Fi in most places we visit, which tend to be rural and off grid.

Our use is largely tv streaming, Netflix and prime

What would I do next time?
Buy a Poynting antenna and a router and ‘home brew’ it.
Spend as much as you can on the antenna.

Piece of cake to fit.

Tony

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I bought this MIFI from eBay, listed as ‘grade C with heavy marks’ but it is perfect condition, not a mark on it. I’m very pleased with the whole setup
IMG_0173.png

And I already had this antenna

I’ve also had a holder made by PaulandChrissy
1728647108434.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Apart from the holder we've got the same as Manic. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
“A complete system” from one of those companies is just a mix of antenna and router, so why not choose your own mix.
I started off with a second hand Cat 4 Teltonika RUT950 bought off eBay for £85. It had x2 LTE x2 WiFi connections so I looked for the best aerial to match and after a lot of research about performance I chose a Panorama (5G Great White), though the Poynting was also on my list.
I’ve since upgraded to a Teltonika RUTX11 router that is Cat 6. I chose that because it also has x2 LTE x2 WiFi. I won’t be changing now as 4G Cat 6 is more than adequate for streaming TV, using laptops, pads etc.
The antenna has proved brilliant, getting a clear signal in areas where our phones were completely useless.
There’s loads of threads on here about the subject and companies like Avtex ect simply put something together and charge you a premium for doing so.
We also use EE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OttovanKamper
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
“A complete system” from one of those companies is just a mix of antenna and router, so why not choose your own mix.
I started off with a second hand Cat 4 Teltonika RUT950 bought off eBay for £85. It had x2 LTE x2 WiFi connections so I looked for the best aerial to match and after a lot of research about performance I chose a Panorama (5G Great White), though the Poynting was also on my list.
I’ve since upgraded to a Teltonika RUTX11 router that is Cat 6. I chose that because it also has x2 LTE x2 WiFi. I won’t be changing now as 4G Cat 6 is more than adequate for streaming TV, using laptops, pads etc.
The antenna has proved brilliant, getting a clear signal in areas where our phones were completely useless.
There’s loads of threads on here about the subject and companies like Avtex ect simply put something together and charge you a premium for doing so.
We also use EE.
I have just used your antenna choice and done a search. It has a lot of choices for connections and cables so not sure exactly what I should choose.
I agree it would be a better option than getting a system from Avtex. Just need to sort out the configuration now.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I have just used your antenna choice and done a search. It has a lot of choices for connections and cables so not sure exactly what I should choose.
I agree it would be a better option than getting a system from Avtex. Just need to sort out the configuration now.
If you look closely at the Avtex system it comprises of a x2 LTE lead Panorama, cheaper end antenna, together with what is clearly a Teltonika router, probably something like the RUT955 Cat4 or similar.
It’s the Avtex system that I based my system on, I just upgraded the antenna and router choice.
Have a look at Poynting and Panorama for antennas, you just need to decide on what router you want and match the number and type of leads accordingly.
If I was starting again I’d choose the RUTX50 (5G) and either a Poynting or Panorama antenna that had the x4 LTE x2 WiFi leads.
Though as I said previously Cat6/4g is more than enough for motorhome use, so I won’t be changing now.

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have the system from Motorhome WiFi with an EE sim and it just works flawlessly all over Europe, with 50gb in eu per month!
Never let me down👍👍👌🏼

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I have the Avtex system. Combined with an EE sim it provides great Wi-Fi in most places we visit, which tend to be rural and off grid.

+1 for Avtex (AMR985)

Have used it from Italy to Norway and all places in between. Has worked really well with no problems. You can interrogate it through the IP address to find the best network available when abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do what I did and contact the experts
Motorhome Wifi
After discussion we worked out what I needed, and which provider etc, and then they arranged for it to be fitted.
A pair of mobile technicians arrived in a van from Birmingham (van was in Kent) and fitted and tested the entire system in about 1 hour!
(They were doing 4 more that day in the same area)
I had the Motorhome WiFi fitted by the dealer when we bought the MH in 2021. I was looking at downsizing and found a suitable replacement.

When the dealer went round my van with his damp meter he found high damp readings under the antenna, the gasket which is fitted to the bottom of the antenna is not very good at sealing.
I have talked to a caravan motorhome fitter and he told me he has come across the same problem before.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
This can be a minefield as there are a number of variables, but the hard part is figuring out what you need to buy, the install is going to be pretty much the same with any system.

The bottom line is that it's balancing budget with requirement and matching antennas to routers.

There's no point spending the extra money on a 4 x 4 antenna if your router is only 2 x 2 MIMO etc.

I've had a few systems over the years and have also come to the conclusion that the 'budget' options tend not to be worthwhile.

In my last van I had a Netgear Nighthawk M1 (which can be had second hand for about £150) and a Poynting xpol antenna.

It worked pretty well and I could reliably expect to be able to stream Netflix etc in most places.

I upgraded to a Teltonika router and a Poynting puck antenna for the new van.

Why? Well, a few reasons.

My xpol antenna was never designed for vehicle use and while it did OK it wasn't the right tool for the job.

The M1 is a popular choice for van use, but reading various reports they can be a bit hit and miss in terms of being permanently powered. Mine wouldn't run off 12v power without the battery in (some do, some don't) and would sometimes flake out with the battery in. That's luck of the draw as some units seem to work flawlessly. The Teltonika, however, is designed for exactly this sort of use and is fitted to a lot of the vehicles that do the Paris - Dakar so my needs seem tame by comparison.

When looking for an LTE router (Long Term Evolution - or SIM card based in normal language) then you need to balance cost with the Category (CAT) of the router.

The higher the Cat, the better the performance.

Realistically Cat 6 is what I would consider a minimum for a 'modern' set up but the higher the Cat, the higher the maximum speed.

Whether it's worth paying the (not inconsiderable) premium for 5G very much depends on whether you're in (or will travel frequently in) a 5G area.

That might change over the next few years, the way things do with technology.

Pick a budget, shop around, and when you think you've got a better idea of what you want then let us know and we'll happily help nudge you towards the right options!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back