Which grey/waste tank cleaner - votes please (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
The branded thetford stuff is the only stuff that stops any rancid smell.
We've tried every option, coke, washing power, but the smell can still be awful when empting.
Its not a huge expense, a small amount capful every few tanks, and no smell when emptying. We use less than the recommended dose.

(We have traps so never have internal smells, but I don't like leaving a stink bomb at disposal points - though seems I'm in the minority on this! Mines electric dump too so I don't even need to be near it, but still.....)

715RbamAI4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

+1 for this. Tried the rest and now using the best

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I see above people using citric acid in their boilers. I assume there is no detrimental effect to the innards?
If using the powder what ratio of powder to water please?

Thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I see above people using citric acid in their boilers. I assume there is no detrimental effect to the innards?
If using the powder what ratio of powder to water please?

Thanks
I use this formula
Descaling Dilute 1 or 2 tablespoons of citric acid in 1L of cold water and use this solution to descale coffee machines, kettles, cups, taps, showerheads and more Rinse with clear water afterwards. Toilet bowl cleaner Pour half the bag into your toilet and leave overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 13, 2019
Son en Breugel, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Line
Exp
Since June 2020, newbies
Thanks for this advice. These chemicals are so expensive and it’s good to hear a solid recommendation.
I agree - we use it now for all our trips, and we have had a couple of longer trips, 60+ days, works well. We do take a couple of bottles with us to last 😊- not always easy to buy in some countries.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
White vinegar. Cheaper than chips (certainly in France) and no smell or sugar. Pop a litre down the drains now and again. Drive around, then dump (in a designated drain of course). At the end of each big trip, a couple of litres in the main tank and run through the boiler and pump and aftwards run a half tank of clean water. No smells, no calcification.
I just bought some: 39p for 500ml in Lidl 🙂👍

Oct 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
We used to use a couple of the largest bottles of dilute orange juice just add a bit of water to it, a good slosh around and leave for a couple of days and flush out. Another one we use regularly now is 3 or 4 steradent tablets into the full fresh water tank drive it all thru into the grey tank leave a few hours flush it all thru.

Feb 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
1000029819.jpg
This is what I use. It works brilliantly, killing two birds with one stone! Great washing up liquid, with a lovely smell, plus it cleans the pipes and keeps the waste tank smelling fresh.
I already use a Qualkem product for cleaning and soaking my brass instrument, so I know it's a good make, and their products work

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back