Which grey/waste tank cleaner - votes please (15 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Same here, cheap cola.

We bought a PVC some years back and the grey waste was very slow to drain even with the aid of a stick pushed up the drain tap to try and clear the grot, so I poured in 6 litres of cheap Aldi cola and went for a bumpy and wobbley ride around the country lanes for ten miles or so, and then drained the grey tank down the next morning. Verdict, yes cheap cola does work and a pretty impressive job at that.

1719914763086.png

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Same here, cheap cola.

We bought a PVC some years back and the grey waste was very slow to drain even with the aid of a stick pushed up the drain tap to try and clear the grot, so I poured in 6 litres of cheap Aldi cola and went for a bumpy and wobbley ride around the country lanes for ten miles or so, and then drained the grey tank down the next morning. Verdict, yes cheap cola does work and a pretty impressive job at that.

View attachment 918006
I would have used a finer filter than that before putting it in the Bacardi though!:whistle2::giggler:

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've never tried the cheap cola because I always thought that it would leave everything sticky inside!

I've owned my pvc since 2019, and twice I've dropped the tank off and pressure washed it out, once upon first purchasing, and last winter getting it ready for our 3 month tour of Europe.

In Italy a month ago, in the red hot heat, and having not moved for 7 days we had a horrible stink coming from the waste tank, even though we'd hardly used any water, so hardly any gone down, talking to a German neighbour, who could probably smell it too, he recommended a small solution of toilet fluid after dumping, which we've done regularly since and had no more smells

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I always put hot water and a couple of crushed dish washing tabs in is as we are about to set off, the drive agitatess the water and cleans the tank perfectly... Just have a sick bag ready for when you open the drain 🤮😁

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Not diet cola though.
An alternative is Citric acid, in the spring, heat the solution in the on-board boiler letting work it in there for a couple hours, and then running it through the pipework, pumping it down to the grey tank and then go for a drive. Drain it off the next morning. Double use of one product.
I sometimes do it just before we're due away, and let the liquid slosh about in the tank till we get to our destination, dumping it then as we take on more water.
Mike.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I went the opposite way down the pH scale and used warm washing soda. it came out quite brown so it must have done something. The level sensor now reads both 25% and 50% whereas before it only read 25% but still doesn't reach 75% or 100%.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
The branded thetford stuff is the only stuff that stops any rancid smell.
We've tried every option, coke, washing power, but the smell can still be awful when empting.
Its not a huge expense, a small amount capful every few tanks, and no smell when emptying. We use less than the recommended dose.

(We have traps so never have internal smells, but I don't like leaving a stink bomb at disposal points - though seems I'm in the minority on this! Mines electric dump too so I don't even need to be near it, but still.....)

715RbamAI4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Richard n Ann , Lenny HB

I try to wipe all plates and pots with kitchen paper before they go near the sink so that "bits" don't get into the tank in the first place.
Couple of disher tablets crushed into hot water, and then a few miles on twisty roads :giggle: Works really well in the toilet cassette as well.
In four years of Motorhoming we have also always used kitchen roll to wipe pots, pans, plates, cutlery etc prior to washing up. We consider it good practice to avoid blockages.

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Which is your favourite product and why?
White vinegar. Cheaper than chips (certainly in France) and no smell or sugar. Pop a litre down the drains now and again. Drive around, then dump (in a designated drain of course). At the end of each big trip, a couple of litres in the main tank and run through the boiler and pump and aftwards run a half tank of clean water. No smells, no calcification.

OP
OP
leobliss2025

leobliss2025

Free Member
Jul 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo M 690
White vinegar. Cheaper than chips (certainly in France) and no smell or sugar. Pop a litre down the drains now and again. Drive around, then dump (in a designated drain of course). At the end of each big trip, a couple of litres in the main tank and run through the boiler and pump and aftwards run a half tank of clean water. No smells, no calcification.
Really smart idea.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I had the stinkiest grey waste ever, had it for years! Chucked in half a bottle of the green loo fluid, drove 200 Miles (1/4 full to slosh) and left it for 2 weeks - drained the tank and zero stink! Was (and remain) very impressed

Jim

OP
OP
leobliss2025

leobliss2025

Free Member
Jul 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo M 690
The branded thetford stuff is the only stuff that stops any rancid smell.
We've tried every option, coke, washing power, but the smell can still be awful when empting.
Its not a huge expense, a small amount capful every few tanks, and no smell when emptying. We use less than the recommended dose.

(We have traps so never have internal smells, but I don't like leaving a stink bomb at disposal points - though seems I'm in the minority on this! Mines electric dump too so I don't even need to be near it, but still.....)

715RbamAI4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thanks for this advice. These chemicals are so expensive and it’s good to hear a solid recommendation.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
A splash of Solbio https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/solbio-eco-toilet-waste-water-treatment.273365/ down the plugholes keeps the nasty niffs away when in use. Also once the grey waste tank is emptied on leaving a campsite we run some water & Solbio (just a splash) down all the plugholes then it gets jiggled all around the grey waste tank on the way home - it can be a bit frothy to empty then (if too much Solbio is used) but clean for the next trip.
Using a bowl for washing up, using Ecover washing up liquid & trying to avoid pouring washing up water, pasta water or anything with food debris down the sink drain are tips that we learnt from this forum early on (y)

1719995423588.png

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
We use Puri Sol. I add Puri Sol to the fresh tank about once every 6 months, go for a drive, leave for 24 hours then drain through all the taps and shower and repeat the drive and 24 hour soak before draining the grey tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back