Which gps?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Looking for a new gps as my Tom Tom Sat nav keeps giving up the ghost at the most inconvenient times( the dreaded white screen) and before I throw it out of the window does anyone have recommendations?
Not interested in Google maps or whatever on my phone as it( iPhone 8)keeps going off as well) 😐

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Personally I like the nova tek sat navs. Easy to use and reliable. Cheap and large screens. Can input motorhome dimensions . Free maps for everwhere.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Haven't had a stand alone GPS for decades...modern day vehicles come with them pre-installed, I was so impressed with the one in our car, I retro-fitted one in our Hymer....large readable screen that multi-functions....I have a choice of GPS apps installed....it's my radio also....great fun

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
With a PVC, I wouldn't bother with a campervan specific satnav. You're only slightly wider than a car. You can go anywhere a delivery driver can, which is pretty much anywhere.

I agree. Get a phone upgrade as a two-for-one and use a free satnav like Google Maps or Waze.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Definitely not Garmin that uses “here” maps, their navigation is awful at times.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Definitely not Garmin that uses “here” maps, their navigation is awful at times.
And yet it's HERE mapping that the cheap Chinese Sat Navs use Sandra, and most (if not all) of us are happy with them. Maybe it's the Garmin unit rather than the mapping that's the problem. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
And yet it's HERE mapping that the cheap Chinese Sat Navs use Sandra, and most (if not all) of us are happy with them. Maybe it's the Garmin unit rather than the mapping that's the problem. ;)

Cheers,

There are very few mapping companies. Pretty much all the satnavs use Here (Navteq) or TomTom (TeleAtlas) or increasingly OpenStreetMap. Only Google (with Waze) and Apple have their own mapping as far as I'm aware.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Time for a new phone. I have the Fiat 10" screen don't like the satnav on it so use an app on my phone it displays on the screen works well. Been trying out different apps so far Mapy is the favourite.

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO
Exp
Since 2012

Cheers,

Ye I was happy with the maps but the Garmin would switch on and off(12v supply fine)and it took 5 mins to boot up alot of the time ,a bit of a pita after fueling up and not knowing the area when leaving the fuel station 😅.
Using Tomtom camper and Xgody back up at moment,never been keen on using my mobile for some reason?

Cheers Cris🍻

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There are very few mapping companies. Pretty much all the satnavs use Here (Navteq) or TomTom (TeleAtlas) or increasingly OpenStreetMap. Only Google (with Waze) and Apple have their own mapping as far as I'm aware.
HERE maps from Navteq it is then. 🤷‍♂️

Jock.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The op says not interested in phone apps, me too. Too flaky, and oh cannot operate a mobile so it's down to me to operate it while driving. What's the UK law on using a phone app while driving?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Another vote for phone. Used with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto gives you all the benefits of a bigger screen plus the constantly updated free maps/traffic that come with a phone.

And can also test and/or switch mapping apps instantly to compare routing etc. I recently found Apple Maps to give the most up to date information on temporary road closures (due to accidents) and mobile speed camera operations. Magic Earth is my usual preference for a free navigation app due to being able to enter vehicle dimensions in ‘Truck’ mode.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Go everywhere with my Apple Maps on the iPad. Mounts on the dash nicely in my Fiat and very easy to use and great display too.

iPhone 8, that’s from the arc, look for one of those deals on a new phone and free iPad, you won’t be sorry.

A few screenshots from mine, also showing speed cameras and if I’m going above the speed limit, then it tells me off and to watch my speed.

IMG_2773.jpeg
IMG_2209.png
IMG_2203.png
IMG_2208.png
IMG_1474.png

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
But some people do not like using phone apps while driving. What is the UK law? Certainly not expensive Apples which constantly become obsolete 😁

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
But some people do not like using phone apps while driving. What is the UK law?
You’re not using the app while driving. You set it up to the destination, look at the multiple options it gives you, select your route and place it on the dash to look at.

At no time are you touching or using apps while driving. I also load Heart 70’s that plays in the background of the iPad. Win win 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You’re not using the app while driving. You set it up to the destination, look at the multiple options it gives you, select your route and place it on the dash to look at.

At no time are you touching or using apps while driving. I also load Heart 70’s that plays in the background of the iPad. Win win 👍🏻
Some of us have no Heart🙄

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But some people do not like using phone apps while driving. What is the UK law? Certainly not expensive Apples which constantly become obsolete 😁
Once it's connected to your head unit it disables use on the phone & you use the cars screen.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Any handheld device is likely to be illegal. No one is suggesting using a phone whilst driving. A properly mounted device in a safe position with hands free operation is best and a head unit with CarPlay/Auto achieves that as do most modern phones.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Any handheld device is likely to be illegal. No one is suggesting using a phone whilst driving. A properly mounted device in a safe position with hands free operation is best and a head unit with CarPlay/Auto achieves that as do most modern phones.
No head unit on my 2020 Boxer, at least no screen. I do have bluetooth though. And yellow teeth😁!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Looking for a new gps as my Tom Tom Sat nav keeps giving up the ghost at the most inconvenient times( the dreaded white screen) and before I throw it out of the window does anyone have recommendations?
Not interested in Google maps or whatever on my phone as it( iPhone 8)keeps going off as well) 😐

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I have a Totom trucker 6in which still works well but we now need a 7in screen (which is arriving today). Free maps and you can input size of vehicle etc. haven’t bothered updating software but will do later. Any offers? Used the Apple Maps and google maps through CarPlay over the weekend as we were going away just to try them out but it wasn’t as intuitive as the TomTom.
IMG_2435.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back