Which base vehicles make the best motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A very good point. Those low profile tyre are going to transmit every bump and pothole. makes you wonder if the design team have ever driven a motorhome.
The places we go in a Motorhome my bill for new wheels would be tens of thousands a year. 😭

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
When I was stationed in Germany, I spoke with many taxi drivers over the Merc. They run them down the production line in the beige colour and when delivered, the owners have already paid for a replacement ECU. When I enquired about it, the drivers told me that this is all that’s expected to need replacing at 800k miles!!!

Apart from wear and tear items, that’s brilliant, 800k, makes my eyes water just getting my head around it 👍🏻

Used to make a thing about looking at the mileage every time I got in one and not unusual to see 500k+ miles on them.
Miles not km?

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
If only the Japanese made bigger truck chassis.

It would have to be Toyota.

Older then I'd say merc or Toyota

But let's face it I'd always choose older anyway, new stuff just isn't built or designed to last. Too much electronics
Toyota Landcruiser?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So in reality somebody has been messing around with AI and come up with some decent looking concepts, it would be interesting if another player came into the top end of the market and shook things up a bit but the volume is so small compared to cars I can't really see anything happening, Morelo produce around 500 vans per year vs the Munich BMW plant that produces close to 1000 cars per day.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you want a PVC of 6m or less, then Ducato (/Peugeot/Citroen/etc). Because it's a little wider, the bonnet and cab are compact and the sides are nearly vertical. The bit of extra space makes it far more livable. The latest Transit 6m with the highest roof is also fairly practical.

Longer PVC, then recent Sprinters or recent VW/MAN. They're a good drive. Probably still need a side flare if you want a transverse bed though.

For coachbuilds up to about 4.5t, I'd take Merc if I had a choice.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Well, it goes against everything I have ever said about French vehicles but our van is a nissan nv400, so it's really a renault master, it's a 2015, and we have put some serious miles on it in the last 20 months, I think 14k so far, it's on 128k now and we just got back from Scotland and over 1k miles for our trip.
The thing is an absolute machine, it just takes diesel and goes.
Sounds as if the Renault is really a Nissan!! 🙂

Jun 4, 2024
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Mk8
So I went for the high roof and longest Transit. The suspension steering and refinement are far superior to the Fiats we’ve had previously. However I cannot recommend it as the reliability of the Panther engine is terrible, just google wet belt. Also if like me you don’t do long trips regularly then the dpf and injectors will fail; my repair quote was over £4000! And that was at 10000 miles and just 1000 miles since they were done under warranty! Honestly? Just pay a little extra and go for the Mercedes unless you only drive on smooth roads in which case the Fiat is fine and as has been remarked already it’s a far better shape if you are converting.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Regardless of brand I will say I would have to be really really tempted by the layout ,price etc to go for a front wheel drive motorhome again after having rear wheel drive.

In 9 months and 12000 miles round Europe I've not lost traction once on any surface from sand,grass, gravel to tarmac on wet steep inclines . All my front wheel drive fiat based models struggled with some of the steep windy roads when wet.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Regardless of brand I will say I would have to be really really tempted by the layout ,price etc to go for a front wheel drive motorhome again after having rear wheel drive.

In 9 months and 12000 miles round Europe I've not lost traction once on any surface from sand,grass, gravel to tarmac on wet steep inclines . All my front wheel drive fiat based models struggled with some of the steep windy roads when wet.
My brother was leading a Duke of Edinburgh expedition last weekend. The brand new RWD Sprinter full of all the kids' kit got stuck at the bottom of the wet grass field. Several drivers, several approaches, each ending up further down the field than they started. The kids ended up pushing it out (and dented it). The FWD Ducato minibus drove straight out with the kids it in.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My brother was leading a Duke of Edinburgh expedition last weekend. The brand new RWD Sprinter full of all the kids' kit got stuck at the bottom of the wet grass field. Several drivers, several approaches, each ending up further down the field than they started. The kids ended up pushing it out (and dented it). The FWD Ducato minibus drove straight out with the kids it in.
Surprising as the weight is over the wheels I'm the sprinter and not in the fiat.

I'd bet money that was down to driver and tyres

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Surprising as the weight is over the wheels I'm the sprinter and not in the fiat.

I'd bet money that was down to driver and tyres
I suspect that the Sprinter probably wasn't that heavy. The kids would have weighed a lot more than their gear.

My brother isn't a petrol head. Doesn't know petrol from diesel other than the hose is a different colour. He had no issues getting the Ducato out. Several of the adults attempted to get the Merc out on several approaches and techniques up the field.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Money no object, assuming standard motorhome habitation module, and ruling out things like Overlanders, Unimog's etc.
Then I'd go for:
  1. Iveco/MAN Daily
  2. Mercedes Sprinter
  3. VW Crafter
In all cases I'd go for the heaviest weight chassis, manual gearbox and 4x4

I'd then be looking for a matching German habitation module.

You only have to look at the van fleet magazines to see who has won 'van of the year' over the last few years, which means the Ford Transit should be in the list above, but having driven many of them over the last 40 years, I can't bring myself to even consider it.
(And Transits have a tendency to get stolen, as very easy to sell for spares)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'd argue that what makes a good fleet van is quite different to what makes a good motorhome chassis.
True;
But I've driven most makes of vans in the last few years and I'm a regular driver of Transits and Ducattos.
My Motorhome is a Mercedes Sprinter.

Jus' sayin'
;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back