Where have all the birds gone and why? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Sorry my cat is responsible for at least one dead robin yesterday! It was presented to me as a “gift”first thing in the morning before I got my slippers on 😐

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Cat owners often don’t help.

There are too many domestic cats allowed to roam beyond their boundaries here in London, and that is without taking into account those without owners.
I watch my neighbours cat hiding below fences waiting to pounce on sparrows etc

I don’t know why it is considered OK for someone’s pet to decimate wildlife or defecate in other peoples back gardens or jump all over other peoples cars

Like dogs, I love well all behaved pets.

It’s the owners that I have problems with
Thinking you can manage a cat like a dog, never going to work. There is a expression "like herding cats" for something that is impossible to do..

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Thinking you can manage a cat like a dog, never going to work. There is a expression "like herding cats" for something that is impossible to do..
My neighbour a prolific gardener complained that the cat would go to the toilet in his newly prepared border! I bought him a super soaker water gun from Argos and he only had to pump it up for the cat to disappear no need for water! 🤪

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
In our garden and field, in France, we've seen a reduction in the number of birds this year up to about 3 days ago, when they all re-appeared. We now have lots and lots of them again, which is great. I've no idea where they've all been. Butterfly numbers are up this year but we've seen fewer bees and wasps. Fly numbers are about the same (I know this because most of them die in our Red Top fly traps :) ).

The saddest news of all is that a little Robin died this morning when he flew into our window. He died instantly. I have been able to bring round a couple of birds who have done the same in the past by holding them close to me until they recover from the shock but this little guy this morning didn't have a chance :cry:

Recently, we drove from here to the UK and back and noticed how few flies, midges etc were on the car. Something is definitely changing from how it used to be.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I get the odd bird fly onto the patio doors
They don't do it when the window blind is down 1/3 .it seems to stop them thinking they can fly straight through. None died.only shunned. I leave them alone and they soon fly off

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We used to have birds singing all day in our garden then all of a sudden it went quiet. I have had pigeons nesting for years in a tree next to the bedroom window, one night for some reason it hit the bedroom window which I was surprised but in the morning I found it's wing on the grass and a few nights later looked out of the window and a Sparrow Hawk had the other one on the lawn and was tearing it to pieces, it was headless. Since then I hardly ever hear birdsong so I thought that was why they had disappeared. So sad:cry:

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We used to have birds singing all day in our garden then all of a sudden it went quiet. I have had pigeons nesting for years in a tree next to the bedroom window, one night for some reason it hit the bedroom window which I was surprised but in the morning I found it's wing on the grass and a few nights later looked out of the window and a Sparrow Hawk had the other one on the lawn and was tearing it to pieces, it was headless. Since then I hardly ever hear birdsong so I thought that was why they had disappeared. So sad:cry:
Sparrow hawk arrived at brothers all the little birds hid in the hedges and travelled to nest boxes under cover. They stayed away from feeding stations .
After a week.or so the sparrow hawk got hungry and moved on .
The birds returned to the grass and the feeders as soon as it left .

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
What has happened to all the birds? Our garden is normally a hive of avian activity plus raptors circling and gulls making a lot of noise and being a nuisance but in the last three weeks we have only seen the odd pigeon.

Earlier this week we spent a day in Weymouth and noticed the almost complete absence of sea birds. One could eat a sandwich or chips without be mobbed by gulls. Yesterday we spent the day in Lyme Regis scene of many gull attacks on unsuspecting grockles, but again hardly a gull or any other bird in sight. Can anyone suggest a reason for this and has anyone noticed similar?
Well, you will find, that the birds in the garden have had their young, and once the young are ready to fly, they will endevour
to seak new adventures. Just like us!

As for the sea gulls (well, land gulls, because they don't live at sea), they too have new adventures, but never seem to go very far from home.
Living in Brixham, I'm glad to see them bugger off, just for a bit of peace and quiet! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

BUT IT NEVER LAST'S....

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
In our garden and field, in France, we've seen a reduction in the number of birds this year up to about 3 days ago, when they all re-appeared. We now have lots and lots of them again, which is great. I've no idea where they've all been. Butterfly numbers are up this year but we've seen fewer bees and wasps. Fly numbers are about the same (I know this because most of them die in our Red Top fly traps :) ).

The saddest news of all is that a little Robin died this morning when he flew into our window. He died instantly. I have been able to bring round a couple of birds who have done the same in the past by holding them close to me until they recover from the shock but this little guy this morning didn't have a chance :cry:

Recently, we drove from here to the UK and back and noticed how few flies, midges etc were on the car. Something is definitely changing from how it used to be.

Industrial farming, pesticides, climate changes, French , Cypriots and others still catching and or shooting migrating birds to eat (WTF!!!).

What do we expect?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Industrial farming, pesticides, climate changes, French , Cypriots and others still catching and or shooting migrating birds to eat (WTF!!!).

What do we expect?

Really? I never knew this. What birds are caught or shot in France to eat, please?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Too many magpies
Too many cats
Too many sparrowhawks
Too much weird weather.
Too much bird flu.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We shoot birds to eat too don't we?? pheasant, partridge, pigeon and grouse. I don't see them anymore around here either. I once saw 6 male pheasants sitting in line on the fence on our field. I wish I had my phone with me at the time it was so funny.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I get the odd bird fly onto the patio doors
They don't do it when the window blind is down 1/3 .it seems to stop them thinking they can fly straight through. None died.only shunned. I leave them alone and they soon fly off
We had a Sparrowhawk do that, it just lay stunned for a few minutes, we got quite close to it, you could see its heart beating, then in an instant, it was gone.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We just had the mechanical cutter trim our back hedge (front still to be done) and there are dozens of small birds who have taken refuge in our gutters at the moment!!

Mostly various varieties of sparrow and a few yellowhammers.

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back