Where have all the birds gone and why? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Sorry my cat is responsible for at least one dead robin yesterday! It was presented to me as a “gift”first thing in the morning before I got my slippers on 😐

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Cat owners often don’t help.

There are too many domestic cats allowed to roam beyond their boundaries here in London, and that is without taking into account those without owners.
I watch my neighbours cat hiding below fences waiting to pounce on sparrows etc

I don’t know why it is considered OK for someone’s pet to decimate wildlife or defecate in other peoples back gardens or jump all over other peoples cars

Like dogs, I love well all behaved pets.

It’s the owners that I have problems with
Thinking you can manage a cat like a dog, never going to work. There is a expression "like herding cats" for something that is impossible to do..

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Thinking you can manage a cat like a dog, never going to work. There is a expression "like herding cats" for something that is impossible to do..
My neighbour a prolific gardener complained that the cat would go to the toilet in his newly prepared border! I bought him a super soaker water gun from Argos and he only had to pump it up for the cat to disappear no need for water! 🤪

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
You’d like to think so 😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
In our garden and field, in France, we've seen a reduction in the number of birds this year up to about 3 days ago, when they all re-appeared. We now have lots and lots of them again, which is great. I've no idea where they've all been. Butterfly numbers are up this year but we've seen fewer bees and wasps. Fly numbers are about the same (I know this because most of them die in our Red Top fly traps :) ).

The saddest news of all is that a little Robin died this morning when he flew into our window. He died instantly. I have been able to bring round a couple of birds who have done the same in the past by holding them close to me until they recover from the shock but this little guy this morning didn't have a chance :cry:

Recently, we drove from here to the UK and back and noticed how few flies, midges etc were on the car. Something is definitely changing from how it used to be.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I get the odd bird fly onto the patio doors
They don't do it when the window blind is down 1/3 .it seems to stop them thinking they can fly straight through. None died.only shunned. I leave them alone and they soon fly off

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We used to have birds singing all day in our garden then all of a sudden it went quiet. I have had pigeons nesting for years in a tree next to the bedroom window, one night for some reason it hit the bedroom window which I was surprised but in the morning I found it's wing on the grass and a few nights later looked out of the window and a Sparrow Hawk had the other one on the lawn and was tearing it to pieces, it was headless. Since then I hardly ever hear birdsong so I thought that was why they had disappeared. So sad:cry:

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We used to have birds singing all day in our garden then all of a sudden it went quiet. I have had pigeons nesting for years in a tree next to the bedroom window, one night for some reason it hit the bedroom window which I was surprised but in the morning I found it's wing on the grass and a few nights later looked out of the window and a Sparrow Hawk had the other one on the lawn and was tearing it to pieces, it was headless. Since then I hardly ever hear birdsong so I thought that was why they had disappeared. So sad:cry:
Sparrow hawk arrived at brothers all the little birds hid in the hedges and travelled to nest boxes under cover. They stayed away from feeding stations .
After a week.or so the sparrow hawk got hungry and moved on .
The birds returned to the grass and the feeders as soon as it left .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back