What way to point your van. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi all. In Naples, we parked on a site(rare for us) and was told by the warden to turn round and face the other way. I think he used to run a Caravan Club site in a previous life.
In general, we park to get the view.
D

Feb 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1974
It seems pretty random in some cases there's a temporary site near us on a school field and someone has chosen to park away from everyone else next to the fence nearest the main road a very odd choice!
Not an odd choice possibly they have a dog who is best kept away from other dogs. I can think of several members in our club who always like to be away from other vans for whatever reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
When parking up, and you have a choice. Is there an optimum direction to point your van. Should the van point north for example. Also what do you use to decide, compass or phone app?
We point ours in the best direction for my Autolift which comes out the passenger side IF we are staying more than one night off grid.

On campsite we try to accommodate both lift & hook up points .

TBH never think of direction EXCEPT for windy days in which case into the wind nose first is best 😜

Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Always North, true North though not magnetic north :giggle:
Good thinking... but declination is less than 1% in the UK currently, good luck with being that precise...

I found the OPs question difficult, there seem to be so many factors .. but normally on a site you have only two choices, nose in or nose out.. so usually, I make a spur of the moment decison, and then reverse it later ...

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The only time I ever consider pointing the motorhome in any direction would be in a very strong gale when I would face into the prevailing weather.

I might be tempted to face our back into the wind, since we have a high overcab with two pan windows!!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's not good etiquette when parking up to have your Habitation door facing a neighbour's door, if can be avoided, same as walking across someone's pitch
I don't think I ever decided to park one way or the other based on that. The slope, sun , wind etc maybe but which way doors faced didn't come into it.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
There is some sort of saying about parking facing out in case you have to move quickly, it's often quoted on here but for the life of me can't remember the exact words.
I seem to remember Jim said it once.
'Always park facing out' (when visiting clients) is the advice I gave to student social workers when I used to teach them. It mostly wasn't important but you often couldn't tell in advance.

We have a PVC with sofa facing the side door so, all other things being equal the default setting is side door to best view. If there's no 'view' at all it's side door to south so we can have the door open & wind-out canopy shading the inside.

I always know which way is south because I was a boy scout.

Last edited:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
'Always park facing out' (when visiting clients) is the advice I gave to student social workers when I used to teach them. It mostly wasn't important but you often couldn't tell in advance.

We have a PVC with sofa facing the side door so, all other things being equal the default setting is side door to best view. If there's no 'view' at all it's side door to south so we can have the door open & wind-out canopy shading the inside.

I always know which way is south because I was a boy scout.

We had a similar thing with certain mental health patients....never let them get between you and the door!

Oct 25, 2023
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Only since April 2024 (but caravanning since 2020)
The AI answer from FunBot is:

When parking your motorhome in an open flat field, there are several considerations to take into account regarding the direction in which you park:

1. Sun Orientation: Consider parking your motorhome so that your main living areas, such as your windows and patio area, are facing away from the sun during the hottest parts of the day. This can help keep the interior cooler and more comfortable.

2. Wind Direction: Park your motorhome in a direction that minimizes exposure to strong winds. Positioning your motorhome perpendicular to the prevailing wind can help reduce the impact of wind on your vehicle and improve stability.

3. Privacy and Views: If you have a preference for privacy or scenic views, consider the orientation of your motorhome to take advantage of the surrounding landscape. Parking with a view of a lake, mountain, or other natural features can enhance your camping experience.

4. Access and Safety: Ensure that your motorhome is parked in a safe location that allows for easy access to amenities such as water, power, and facilities. Additionally, consider factors such as proximity to fire pits, picnic tables, and other campsite features when choosing a parking spot.

5. Level Ground: It is important to park your motorhome on level ground to ensure stability and prevent issues with appliances, doors, and general comfort inside the vehicle. Use leveling blocks or ramps if necessary to achieve a level parking spot.

By considering these factors, you can choose the best direction to park your motorhome in an open flat field to optimize your camping experience in terms of comfort, safety, and enjoyment of the surroundings.

Which means someone can write an app to tell you where to go and in which direction to park !
What an answer!! Crikey! The co pilot is likely to lose her advisory role (or should that be dictatorial role?) if we ask AI questions in future,

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Both the C&CC and the C&MC advise to always park across a slope in case the handbrake fails

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Both the C&CC and the C&MC advise to always park across a slope in case the handbrake fails
I rather suspect that's just for amateurs and their own insurance/protection in case they get blamed for anything.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Not relevant for anyone who (a) has an automatic, or (b) has enough nous to leave it in gear, or (c) is on .. but hey, a & b are enough

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back