Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Send it back for geography lessons - as N from Calais would take it back to UK.
If we are going to be precise about our geography I think N from Calais misses the UK mainland altogether and goes all the way to the N Pole. You should be close enough to wave at Suffolk and Norfolk as you pass so you would be in UK waters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When parking up, and you have a choice. Is there an optimum direction to point your van. Should the van point north for example. Also what do you use to decide, compass or phone app?
Use the sun it's more reliable, if the 🌞 not shining, park in any direction! 😄

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
You must point your van using the correct corner to the correct post according to the UK Kamp Kommandant.. Simples.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As our new van shower drainage hole is diagonally opposite to where it was in the old van and it never drained I will try to remember to park how I used to park that one as it should have drained that van and didn’t. I know that makes sense but I bet it won’t work either and I’ll be left with a puddle!

Seriously though preferably with the sliding door in afternoon/ evening sun assuming this is safe. Suits us after a nice walk or bike ride. This means fridge is on cooler side in hottest part of day although we’ve got a compressor fridge now.

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Depends on the circumstances on the day.

If wilding then consider a quick way out.
If it’s hot consider shade.
If it’s sloping think of (our three way) fridge..not applicable to smug compressor types.
If its wet keep high.
If it’s a gale beware the tree branches and face the wind.
Mix those up and find the best view!

Alternatively just pitch up in the dark and see what awaits in the morning.

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
When parking up, and you have a choice. Is there an optimum direction to point your van. Should the van point north for example. Also what do you use to decide, compass or phone app?
We have a saying as we arrived at any site, "west is best". This allows the sun to arc around the side door. My Fiat Ducati has a compass built into the radio head, so quite simple to achieve. Clearly the site often dictates the actual orientation and my neighbours privacy is a factor too.
I write this sitting with a beautiful view of Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire. Facing west(ish). ☺️ 20240805_111919.jpg

May 14, 2020
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis autoquest 100
Exp
Im a newbie
We tend to park where it’s best for either our wind out awning or our awning attached to the Fiamma wind out. Generally though we reverse into the pitch and take it from there.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I can’t remember the last time we were told which way to park on a pitch. As others we would prefer the front down if not level. So far this year I used one leveling ramp because one back wheel was in a hole. It was easier than turning the van round and face the opposite way to everyone else.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
There are far too many variables here 😁

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Some European sites won’t let you go door to door for privacy so you have to go however they tell you. If European vans are parked nose in Brit vans with passenger side Hab door have to reverse in. Other than that we go for sun, view and front into the wind if very windy.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I park depending on the location ... I have dogs so I tend to park with the hab door facing away from anyone else .. preferably near grass etc for them going out to the toilet. If there are lots of people about I park nose in to trees or whatever so all the nosey buggers don't constantly stare in the front window. I'm quite anti social with strangers so I tend to park as far from other campers as I can unless it's people I know. If windy face the wind , if raining face it so the rain hits the opposite side from the door. If sunny point the front in opposite direction . It's very rare that I'm sat right outside my van as I'm normally on wildspots and carparks . At the minute I'm In a laybye on a forest road under a huge big oak tree .

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995
Order of preference based on availability.
1. Best view looking out from my patio door aka sliding door.
2. Facing up hill if on an incline as others have pointed out vans tend to be front down.
3. Clearview if available for satellite dish

Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
LWB VW T6.1
Have you nothing better to worry about!
Just park up and see how you feel
If stopping more than one night we often turn around to get a different view, more, sun or less sun, or avoid any wind, away from neighbours etc

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We are at a site we have used with grandchildren for 14 years, we were here a few weeks ago too.
This time we we were told we had to reverse onto pitch.I asked why was told you have always had to reverse on first time I have heard that and have been coming her for a long time. She insisted it had always been like that. First time I came here on my own in this van I was shown to a slope turned van round so had sun most of the day no need for ramps not a word was said and I had parked sideways when in my doblo.
CMC wasn’t so rigid last time I was in a site.
So as you are told here. We now have arse end to the kids play area and can’t watch grandkids from the van.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
It's not good etiquette when parking up to have your Habitation door facing a neighbour's door, if can be avoided, same as walking across someone's pitch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back