Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 27, 2022
Banbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
When parking up, and you have a choice. Is there an optimum direction to point your van. Should the van point north for example. Also what do you use to decide, compass or phone app?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The base vehicles for MH like Mercedes and Fiat have a front nose down tendency so with no levelling always park nose uphill if there's a slope, otherwise the place you are stopping will generally dictate how you park to fit in with others.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are rear end high so depends very much if there is a slope and which way it goes. Also European door so on posh sites we have to make sure we can roll the awning out and peg it on grass.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is some sort of saying about parking facing out in case you have to move quickly, it's often quoted on here but for the life of me can't remember the exact words.
I seem to remember Jim said it once.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There is some sort of saying about parking facing out in case you have to move quickly, it's often quoted on here but for the life of me can't remember the exact words.

In a security article I advised people not to be a ā€˜Nosey Parkerā€™

in other words always park up in a way that means you can easily drive away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In a security article I advised people not to be a ā€˜Nosey Parkerā€™

in other words always park up in a way that means you can easily drive away.
Or in bad weather so that the towing eye faces outward which enables a straight pull if stuck in mud!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Another consideration is sun, in the doorway side and not on fridge side.
Unless your fridge and the hab door are on the same side of course :) . . . . Given the choice, we generally park to make the most of the sun and the least of the prevailing weather but being level generally trumps these considerations, along with a modicum of privacy and respect for others' privacy.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
In addition to the above, and depending on where we are, we may try to park considerately so, if possible, in a space that a car might use overhanging grass behind, rather than across 2-3 spaces.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
In short it depends. All the above are relevant. But three factors not mentioned so far:

1. Organised sites will often dictate which way round you park so that everybody gets some privacy under their awning.
2. If you have no EHU or it is time limited try to make sure that your solar panel is not shaded by trees.
3. On serviced pitches parking one way of the other may limit the trip hazard of EHU cable and also hosepipe.

P.S. I like to follow Jim's "Nosey Parker" advice but, being a continental van, I am sometimes forced to do the opposite!

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Ley linesā€¦ā€¦.

Or towards Mecca?

Usually facing the sea!

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We are rear end high so depends very much if there is a slope and which way it goes. Also European door so on posh sites we have to make sure we can roll the awning out and peg it on grass.
The don't allow awnings on grass if on a hardstanding pitch at CMC sites or have you found different. mean just the pegs?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The don't allow awnings on grass if on a hardstanding pitch at CMC sites or have you found different. mean just the pegs?
I thought the Idea of a hard standing was the an was parked on the gravel and the awning out on the grass.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I parked nose in to be level on a site near the river in Bordeaux and was told to turn round.
The reason given was safety - presumably in case of fire or flooding........quick exit (y)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There are many considerations to be taken into account. But given an empty field that is flat and open then I'd put the direction in order:

The Sun: We would normally point the Hab door due south, so we can shade the van with the wind out awning.
In Sunnier climes, we would also put shade high on the list and try to work out where the shade from any trees will be in the afternoon.
It's fine to have sun in the morning and evening, but between mid day and late afternoon, ideally you want shade.

The Wind: If it more than a gentle breeze I may point the van broadside, with the hab door on the lee side, It means you can still sit outside and even have a BBQ without the van filling with smoke
If the wind is more than a breeze, then I'll park head to wind, it stops the van rocking.

The Rain: Books can be written on the subject!
Check vegetation, hardness of the ground, any slight dip or slope, direction of pull if you need to be extracted.

The View:
Which may trump all other considerations.

Noise: Not to be near noise, especially at night time, unless it's the sea of course!

And then there are the other campers to consider ......

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The AI answer from FunBot is:

When parking your motorhome in an open flat field, there are several considerations to take into account regarding the direction in which you park:

1. Sun Orientation: Consider parking your motorhome so that your main living areas, such as your windows and patio area, are facing away from the sun during the hottest parts of the day. This can help keep the interior cooler and more comfortable.

2. Wind Direction: Park your motorhome in a direction that minimizes exposure to strong winds. Positioning your motorhome perpendicular to the prevailing wind can help reduce the impact of wind on your vehicle and improve stability.

3. Privacy and Views: If you have a preference for privacy or scenic views, consider the orientation of your motorhome to take advantage of the surrounding landscape. Parking with a view of a lake, mountain, or other natural features can enhance your camping experience.

4. Access and Safety: Ensure that your motorhome is parked in a safe location that allows for easy access to amenities such as water, power, and facilities. Additionally, consider factors such as proximity to fire pits, picnic tables, and other campsite features when choosing a parking spot.

5. Level Ground: It is important to park your motorhome on level ground to ensure stability and prevent issues with appliances, doors, and general comfort inside the vehicle. Use leveling blocks or ramps if necessary to achieve a level parking spot.

By considering these factors, you can choose the best direction to park your motorhome in an open flat field to optimize your camping experience in terms of comfort, safety, and enjoyment of the surroundings.

Which means someone can write an app to tell you where to go and in which direction to park !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That usually for wild camping.
If you get trouble from local yobs you can drive straight off without faffing about manouvering.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Points I have rolling around for consideration;

Nose out and ready for a fast departure.
Ƒose into any strong winds.
Nose into sun which reduces over heating affect of living areas.
Nose up as shower only one drain, that is too the rear.
Nose down as kitchen sink only has one drain, too the front.

All too confusing for me. šŸ˜€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back