Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 194
Exp
2000 in some capacity
Smoked sausage, tin of mackerel in tomato sauce, tin of beans.

But definitely get some alternatives after reading all the entries, ie: M+S curry, M+S chicken and also some corned beef with tined tatties. Not many shouts for brekkie cereal, that a proper emergency !

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with a pack of Aldi 3 minute noodles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Smoked sausage, tin of mackerel in tomato sauce, tin of beans.

But definitely get some alternatives after reading all the entries, ie: M+S curry, M+S chicken and also some corned beef with tined tatties. Not many shouts for brekkie cereal, that a proper emergency !
What's tyres got to do with it????
Mud and Snow Curry and
Mud and Snow Chicken!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure why so many focus on tinned potatoes. We always have real ones in the cupboard, plus carrots in the fridge, which can be cooked together in a single pan. Onions also keep for weeks in the cupboard. Just like at home. Or is cooking in the van such a rare event that maintaining food stocks is unrealistic? Tuna added to macaroni cheese is a staple fallback meal for me. Tinned meat - ham? corned beef? But the real solution is having a fridge with a freezer compartment which always has mince and chicken thighs in it plus some frozen veg.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Not sure if this could qualify as an emergency meal but it’s certainly an easy meal-
Fry some bacon lardons or chopped bacon add Baked beans to pan heat thru.
Plate up and add two fried eggs, with bread it’s a good solid meal, quick & easy.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail MoHawk 2015
Exp
Since 2009

Thanks.
Always carry a backup tin of Potatoes and a can of good old Bacon Grille :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Can you help us make an emergency meal? We have about 100 herbs and spices. And nearly as many bottles of oils, lotions, potions, mostly from Thai/Vietnam/Chinese flavours. Stale bread, and sprouting potatoes.

Upvote 0

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Can you help us make an emergency meal? We have about 100 herbs and spices. And nearly as many bottles of oils, lotions, potions, mostly from Thai/Vietnam/Chinese flavours. Stale bread, and sprouting potatoes.
I’d make fried potatoes and croutons with many oils. And garnish with 100 herbs and spices.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

Not sure why so many focus on tinned potatoes. We always have real ones in the cupboard, plus carrots in the fridge, which can be cooked together in a single pan. Onions also keep for weeks in the cupboard. Just like at home. Or is cooking in the van such a rare event that maintaining food stocks is unrealistic? Tuna added to macaroni cheese is a staple fallback meal for me. Tinned meat - ham? corned beef? But the real solution is having a fridge with a freezer compartment which always has mince and chicken thighs in it plus some frozen veg.
Just to clarify, I was really looking for things that could sit a year or more in the back of the van and only come out when needs must.

All the answers are interesting though - thanks again!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Just to clarify, I was really looking for things that could sit a year or more in the back of the van and only come out when needs must.

Yep I know....
That's why I said Fray Bentos Steak Pies..
They last for ever and ever and ever, and still taste gourmet..🤣🤣🥰🥰

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

Tinned fish, dried pasta and rice seem to have the longest shelf-lives.

I don’t think that ring-pull tins of vegetables etc last as long as old fashioned tins that you open with a can opener.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Whatever I can cadge from next doors van/caravan/ tent/yurt/ beach hut or bivvie.
Not fussed, me.
Liquids are very favourably accepted, especially alcoholic ones.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back