What is your Emergency Motorhome meal? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I always keep "the makings" of a few meals in the van and like you only have 2 rings, no oven. It's easy once you get your head around it and do not try to have exactly the same food you would cook at home or order in a restaurant.

For example:
Dried pasta, a jar of decent quality Tomato & Mascarpone sauce, can of tuna, jar of olives if you like them.
One gas ring to cook pasta, the other to heat up all the other ingredients.

I have jars of roasted peppers (in olive oil), mushrooms and artichoke hearts as well. All go well in a sauce that goes on top of pasta, only require heating.

An Indian alternative could be a jar of whatever sauce you like (mine is Pataks Butter Chicken or Tikka Masala) and a tin of green lentils or chickpeas, served with a packet of Tilda pre-cooked Basmati rice.

You mentioned tinned potato: add a can of corned beef, a bit of ketchup (or a tomato-based sauce from a jar), and you've got an instant "hash".

None of these will not be the most wonderful meal you have ever had, but it will be hot, quick and much better than nothing.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Tin of cassoulet (I keep a couple stacked away after French trips) or a tinned All Day Breakfast, or....
A tin of each: stewed steak or frankfurters, carrots, peas, butter beans and pots. We still call it 'Coastguard stew' from the years when it used to be our emergency meal on the yacht. In very bad weather heated in the non-spill pressure cooker secured with the pan clamps on the hob we'd have: Packet of savoury rice with the addition of a heaped spoonful of curry powder - perfect when cold and wet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Chunky soups + rice (uncooked or precooked), but rice into soup to cook. I wish Progresso soups were sold in UK/Europe their chowders make a great base.
Corned beef, tinned new potatoes, onion + imagination for corn beef hash.
Eggs, tinned new potatoes, sausages planned leftover from previous meal, + imagination for scambled egg + mix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back