What is the life of gel batteries? (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I'm having trouble following you as well?
How have I drained my batteries too quickly - unless you are referring to trying an inverter which turned on and instantly off and I am not doing anything to charge the batteries other than using the CTEK equipment as it was designed and professionally installed?
I am asking them for their opinion on the fact that it has been suggested to me that they can output too much current for the job they are designed for and could therefore have overcharged my batteries.
What I am saying is that you are the user therefore it is up to you to ensure that what you are doing is within the battery recommended specs.
Any problems caused by not staying within the specs of the battery are down to you.
I am sure that is what CTEK will say.
CTEK made the charger, they can't be held responsible as to how you have used it.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Autorouter has basically said this twice:

Your batteries should be charged at no more than 40a for the pair (20a each).

Your setup has been charging them at 100a.

QED.
I have to say I don't understand this, I was under the impression that the rate a lead acid battery charges at is defined by its internal resistance, which is why the current reduces as the internal resistance increases as it becomes more charged, are you saying it's possible to push more amps into a battery then its internal resistance would allow? My B2B can provide a 30 amp charge but when I had gel batteries if they were only a little discharged it would only provide 8 amps and I never saw more then 18 amps when they were down to 50%.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
This might be apples & oranges, but I have a small gel battery in a ride-on lawnmower; the mower is used a couple of times a year to cut a meadow and the rest of the year has a tow hitch and drags a small trailer around.

It lives in a non-insulated shed hooked up to a Ctek unit when not in use.

Both the battery and Ctek are at least ten years old . . . (and the only occasion the engine did not start first time was because we'd missed an annual service and it needed some TLC).

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
I have to say I don't understand this, I was under the impression that the rate a lead acid battery charges at is defined by its internal resistance, which is why the current reduces as the internal resistance increases as it becomes more charged, are you saying it's possible to push more amps into a battery then its internal resistance would allow? My B2B can provide a 30 amp charge but when I had gel batteries if they were only a little discharged it would only provide 8 amps and I never saw more then 18 amps when they were down to 50%.
I have to say that's exactly how I understood it šŸ¤”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Yes I obviously bugger my batteries up on purpose šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ and only Ā£400 a time!
So what you're saying is that if you get done for doing 100mph it's not your fault it's the car manufacturers fault for making and selling a car capable of breaking the speed limit.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So what you're saying is that if you get done for doing 100mph it's not your fault it's the car manufacturers fault for making and selling a car capable of breaking the speed limit.
Not quite, he didn't know he was doing 100mph šŸ˜œ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
I think we may be talking at cross purposes here.
How am I able to alter how much charge the CTEK units are putting into my batteries? And how am I responsible for them doing that?

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I think we may be talking at cross purposes here.
How am I able to alter how much charge the CTEK units are putting into my batteries? And how am I responsible for them doing that?
You can't alter how the charger works but the onus is on you to ensure that the charger is suitable for your needs.
If it is not then it is your problem not the charger manufacturers problem and you have to suck up the result.
I cant see you getting anywhere with CTEK.
I suppose you could try the "professional " who fitted the charger ?

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
A wet lead acid battery if re-charged at a high voltage/current will start to produce heat during the process, sufficient to induce gassing and reduce the electrolyte level within the battery, so in the past many batteries relied on being topped up with water to cover the plates again as they depleted. The higher the voltage and current, the more gassing takes place and the more they needed topping up.

Commonly now leisure batteries are sealed/vented and do not require topping up, but in reality they are just made with higher electrolyte fill from new to allow for depletion, and failure often arises because the electrolyte becomes stronger as the water element is gassed off.

When Gel batteries are subjected to the same situation of being charged at high voltage/current the electrolyte, being a gel can't gas off in the same way, and can't be topped up, so they need to be kept within their specification or they will get damaged. Different manufacturers may use different Gels - I don't know, but the Victron/Sonnechein/Exide ones in my experience (Limited and out of date now!) were very reliable.

So a battery will accept a given charge current in proportion to the voltage being supplied - the higher the voltage the higher the acceptance rate, but at some point that will be sufficiently high to produce sufficient heat to "boil" or "Fizz" the electrolyte, or even buckle the plates. In selecting a charger the rule used to be for around the charger to be a max of around 15% of the batteries AH capacity, 15amp for a 100amp battery. A "smart" charger (as AutoRouter has explained) may start it's programme by increasing its output voltage to a level where the batteries are accepting the chargers maximum output current. If this is 15amps the 100amp battery should cope, however if the charger can increase the voltage sufficiently the battery may accept far more, and the possibility exists for that level to damage a battery not designed for it.

One of the benefits with Lithium is the charge rate, because they can manage a very high charge current compared to LA, especially compared to cheap leisure batteries, and even purpose made deep cycle wet lead acid batteries such as the Trojan T105. Gels benefit is that they don't need any maintenance, gas very little if at all and can cope with deep cycles and PSOC storage better than most other LA types, but their downside is they are comparatively slow to recharge, and are not the best choice for high current loads, but they do work well as leisure batteries......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back