What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Fitted a pair of front mudflaps to a ducato cab - left side was a bit of faffing as a big dollop of underseal in area that the clips go needed digging out.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
At long last, removed the obsolete VisionPlus aerial from the van roof. Originally, was going to put a 4/5g wifi aerial on the roof using the hole left by the aerial bt decided that, at the moment, the signal we get using our phones is adequate for streaming in the van.

So just blanked off the hole with a plastic blanking plate.
IMG_5119.jpeg

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have the Dometic TEC29 petrol generator fitted to my motorhome and they are renowned for being very temperamental when starting and would more often than not ‘hunt’ for a few seconds before stopping and a ‘generator alert’ would come on the panel.

The main reason for this is typically because they used for short bursts of time, never really being used in anger and then left for long periods of time allowing the fuel to gum up the carburetor etc.

Well over the last couple of days I decided to tackle it and stripped down the head, re-ground the valves and replaced the carburetor and spark plug, gave the cylinder head a good clean and reset the valve clearances and low and behold runs like a dream now, starts first time and no hunting or stalling at all 👍

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have the Dometic TEC29 petrol generator fitted to my motorhome and they are renowned for being very temperamental when starting and would more often than not ‘hunt’ for a few seconds before stopping and a ‘generator alert’ would come on the panel.

The main reason for this is typically because they used for short bursts of time, never really being used in anger and then left for long periods of time allowing the fuel to gum up the carburetor etc.

Well over the last couple of days I decided to tackle it and stripped down the head, re-ground the valves and replaced the carburetor and spark plug, gave the cylinder head a good clean and reset the valve clearances and low and behold runs like a dream now, starts first time and no hunting or stalling at all 👍
That is why I would look at a propane/LPG conversion if I was to ever get a generator again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Apparently the same happens the LPG fueled ones too, I’m on a couple of the German forums and they report the same with LPG.

The main problem is low compression due to badly seated valves. It was evident when I released the valve spring and just placed my finger in the valve top how easy it was to turn it, indicating badly seated valves. Once I re-ground them and did the same they would not turn a mm 👍

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently the same happens the LPG fueled ones too, I’m on a couple of the German forums and they report the same with LPG.

The main problem is low compression due to badly seated valves. It was evident when I released the valve spring and just placed my finger in the valve top how easy it was to turn it, indicating badly seated valves. Once I re-ground them and did the same they would not turn a mm 👍
I agree valve issues will happen no matter what fuel. But the gumming caused by petrol evaporation is not an issue with LPG I understood?

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Repaired fly screen in rear window. Fitted a Oxford disc lock to drivers seat and refitted my electroblok ebl99 after it had a full sevice ,now got a 18amp charger module ,16 amp one beyond repair, so upgraded.😊👌

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Replaced one of the gas hob burner T/Cs, Italian made hob with no recognizable spare part numbers. Eyed up dimensions ect. ordered, fitted and happy days.

Also renewing the top silicon seal around, the bathroom sink shelf (have to remove sink to access) and the shower tray. Was looking iffy.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Removed 2 x 200w solar panels,cut 2 X holes in roof and inner ceiling fitted 2 X 300 x 300 opening roof vents,washed solar panels just have to rewire reposition 200 w panels and add 2 x 120w panels then change B2B / Solar controller for bigger 1,and sell 30amp B2B /Solar controller

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Internally my van has a couple of slide out cupboards. On the way home from a rally last weekend one which appeared latched slid out when taking a bend. So got round to taking a look today. It was a simple case of loose screws on the runners allowing it to drop at the lock end. What got me was how solidly built the cabinets are

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
We have a 3 month old Carado cv540 and today I fixed the washroom handle that had come loose, thats it .... its the only thing that has gome wrong up to now :)

Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2000
Blue&Me module killed my battery
New battery £133
Sent off module for repair, 'twas unrepairable, £10
Purchased 2nd hand module £160
Installed module did not work
Purchased MES and cables £112
Finall worked out how to proxi align it
Yay! it's working now
Oh forgot I gave a tenner to car radio guy to get the radio out, very stiff!!

May 29, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B640 (1999)
Exp
Replaced crappy solar cables with decent quality cables, fitted a 32amp breaker pre solar controller and moved the solar controller to the battery box from the wardrobe. Next up + and - bus bars, smart shunt and leisure battery isolation switch.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
fitted new Victron solar controller as Sun store had failed. Just for info the issue on examination with the sun store unit quality was less than adequate with broken connections and dry soldered joints.
Alas the B!!!!'44 Kenwood radio again threw teddy out the pram and said Antenna Error and refused to do anything else. So had to remove unit and disconnect aerial connector to reset antenna power off.

Accumulator for the water system has failed and discussing with Amazon why supplier hasn't replied to me or them.

But on the bright side it hasn't rained today. .... YET

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
1. Replaced a 12v cigarette lighter type socket.
2. Secured Burstner control panel.
3. Repaired hab door central locking cables for the 6th time ( crap design).

Jobs for this week:
1. Bleach awning to remove damp / mould spots.
2. Seal awning to MH body to stop rain water running down side of van.

May 29, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B640 (1999)
Exp
fitted new Victron solar controller as Sun store had failed. Just for info the issue on examination with the sun store unit quality was less than adequate with broken connections and dry soldered joints.
Alas the B!!!!'44 Kenwood radio again threw teddy out the pram and said Antenna Error and refused to do anything else. So had to remove unit and disconnect aerial connector to reset antenna power off.

Accumulator for the water system has failed and discussing with Amazon why supplier hasn't replied to me or them.

But on the bright side it hasn't rained today. .... YET
What controller have you fitted, I've got a sunstore 6 at the moment and I'm not exactly happy with it (have measured 15v output to the lead acid batteries on occasion) I cant go above 10a as my EBL 104-3 won't allow for more unless I bypass it

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
What controller have you fitted, I've got a sunstore 6 at the moment and I'm not exactly happy with it (have measured 15v output to the lead acid batteries on occasion) I cant go above 10a as my EBL 104-3 won't allow for more unless I bypass it
Fitted viktron 100/20.

Found sunstroke unit never topped state battery so have vanbitz battery master.

Bit of a shoe horn job and not happy with short cable lengths. Tis what it given wasted space in Rapido build

Read between the lines for auto correct mistakes

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I fixed a broken blind on our skylight and I'm super pleased with myself!! :)

The little plastic lug thing had perished with time and had just broken. It was too small and carrying too much pressure from the wound blind that it would be impossible to just glue it, so we used the little spacers to give strength to it. It's not the neatest of repairs as it's in a fiddly place, with fiddly bits of plastic, but it works :)

It was also VERY dirty on the inside when I took it down, so it's had a good clean and is now back working perfectly :) It's a bit yellow due to age (nowhere near how it appears in the last pic!), so I'll eventually replace it with a new one but, for now, it's doing it's job again :)

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The rail that the bed straps to on our hymer had the vinyl coming off
1721505515728.png

Today I removed the rail ( really heavy metal U section ), two bolts each side hold the top rail and re-glued the vinyl to the metal , looks a lot better.
IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3722.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Removed all the curtains, even the ones for decorative effect, all cushion covers, throws, blankets, mattress covers and protectors and everything went through the washing machine. 8 loads in total and just need putting back and curtains rehanging etc 👍🏻

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Went through a few deep puddles when parked up in a pub carpark, that splashed what looked like, brown water up the sides and over the wheels. Tried to wash it off the next day and it would not budge. Tried autoglym motorhome cleaner, t-cut, colour fast, autoglym resin polish et all. The only thing that would shift it was my 20 year old tube of chrome cleaner that I brought in Germany when I was stationed there. Did the trick quite nicely and the chrome exhaust end looks shiny too 👍🏻

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Nothing yet but the list of stuff that has malfunctioned on this trip is growing longer. USB socket above the freezer, Roof blind cords(again), intermittent spurting from taps, TV aerial, microwave. Enough to keep me busy until the kids go back to school and I can venture out again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've put some new sticky-back plastic on my hob glass covers (1 covers 1 burner, the other covers 2 burners), it took ages to get the old glue etc off from the previous stuff and in the end I removed them rather than do it in situ. I managed to get the plastic on okay but there were 8 little clear plastic 'washers' on either side of the fixing 'bolts' to stop the glass from sliding around and to give some cushioning and the 4 underside ones had disintegrated, due to the heat I assume ... bummer! Fortunately being a bit of a hoarder and keeping stuff 'just in case' I have some bits and bobs from my late Dad which included a sectioned tin with loads of different washers in so I used some old fibre washers I found in there to replace the disintegrated ones and have put some spares in the camper in case I need them in the future.

Now all I need is to find something to replace the screw caps that hold the hob in place as they have distorted due to heat and no way am I paying the hob manufacturer's no doubt extortionate prices!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back