What have you done to your motorhome today? (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
WARNING - TOILET THREAD😢

On our trip around France we found “foul water”, (nicest expression I could think of), was filling the recesses in the cassette compartment. Suspecting the seal had failed we rang around various Caravan/motorhome dealers to find a supplier.

Picking two up on our way between sites, one for now and one for the inevitable next time I decided to fit in on the camp site. Having checked Thetford’s video on YouTube, just to be careful, I started the job.

Remove the slide cover, place it in the grooves opposite and turn anti-clockwise”.

Yeh, right! The cover wouldn’t shift, unlike the obviously brand new one in the demo video.

If it doesn’t move turn harder and then harder still until the mechanism sheared completely.😱

Keep legs crossed until the following day when complete new cassette bought from another dealership, en route to our next stop. Problem solved for just €145 for the re-fresh kit, cassette and toilet seat assembly combined, plus a further €46 euros for the two, now superfluous seals.☹️

What is the betting that they will never be needed but will be carried around several countries, just in case.😎
Pouring hot water on the area around the slide cover might loosen it or using a hot air gun but don't get it too hot.
The slide covers are available as a spare part.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Pouring hot water on the area around the slide cover might loosen it or using a hot air gun but don't get it too hot.
The slide covers are available as a spare part.
Thanks.

It is the guide vanes where the slide cover fits that simply shattered when I applied too much pressure. I must admit I didn’t know the cover was available as a separate part but obtaining it via eBay in France, with no fixed abode, may have been difficult.

I had actually done the job before on a previous motorhome without any problem. When I found that it wouldn’t move I sprayed silicon lubricant around the perimeter hoping it would lubricate the large “O” ring under the cover. Still no joy.

Although frustrating, and expensive in the end, it was worth it. Cleaning out the cassette compartment on a daily basis was not pleasant.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Thanks.

It is the guide vanes where the slide cover fits that simply shattered when I applied too much pressure. I must admit I didn’t know the cover was available as a separate part but obtaining it via eBay in France, with no fixed abode, may have been difficult.

I had actually done the job before on a previous motorhome without any problem. When I found that it wouldn’t move I sprayed silicon lubricant around the perimeter hoping it would lubricate the large “O” ring under the cover. Still no joy.

Although frustrating, and expensive in the end, it was worth it. Cleaning out the cassette compartment on a daily basis was not pleasant.
And we all know you have spares if anyone needs them on future :wink:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
And we all know you have spares if anyone needs them on future :wink:
One will be carried in the motorhome and the other will be kept in our permanently sited caravan, just in case.

However, in order to recoup some of my expense I may be open to offers!😎

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
One will be carried in the motorhome and the other will be kept in our permanently sited caravan, just in case.

However, in order to recoup some of my expense I may be open to offers!😎
For the MH or caravan :whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
WARNING - TOILET THREAD😢

On our trip around France we found “foul water”, (nicest expression I could think of), was filling the recesses in the cassette compartment. Suspecting the seal had failed we rang around various Caravan/motorhome dealers to find a supplier.

Picking two up on our way between sites, one for now and one for the inevitable next time I decided to fit in on the camp site. Having checked Thetford’s video on YouTube, just to be careful, I started the job.

Remove the slide cover, place it in the grooves opposite and turn anti-clockwise”.

Yeh, right! The cover wouldn’t shift, unlike the obviously brand new one in the demo video.

If it doesn’t move turn harder and then harder still until the mechanism sheared completely.😱

Keep legs crossed until the following day when complete new cassette bought from another dealership, en route to our next stop. Problem solved for just €145 for the re-fresh kit, cassette and toilet seat assembly combined, plus a further €46 euros for the two, now superfluous seals.☹️

What is the betting that they will never be needed but will be carried around several countries, just in case.😎
Perhaps you should change the seal on the new cassette with one of the spare ones so that you will know how to do it in the future when needed. 🙂
I have changed my seal twice without breakage? 🤔

PS. Open to offers ay?
I'll give you a tenner for the new cassette? 😄

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps you should change the seal on the new cassette with one of the spare ones so that you will know how to do it in the future when needed. 🙂
I have changed my seal twice without breakage? 🤔

PS. Open to offers ay?
I'll give you a tenner for the new cassette? 😄
Post #242 states that I have previously changed the seal without problems. Not so this time, alas.

Your kind offer for the cassette is, unfortunately, rejected. Unless that is for the old but repairable one.

In that case it is in a skip in Grignan if you would like to collect it!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Post #242 states that I have previously changed the seal without problems. Not so this time, alas.

Your kind offer for the cassette is, unfortunately, rejected. Unless that is for the old but repairable one.

In that case it is in a skip in Grignan if you would like to collect it!
Yes I know you wrote that you have changed them before, but we are all getting older and more forgetful so I thought you might want to change it just to remind yourself how you did it in the past while it's nice and clean with no excuses of it getting stuck? 🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back