What do you use in your toilet? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Apart from the fact you are all just talking sh1te...How bout this idea?

I have in the past used dry bio toilets. Basically a fancy hole in the ground with a suitable shed and throne above. When one had conducted one's business...you were required to fling a small handful of dried soil down the chute. Job done, no smell, naturally composted. Completely 100% natural, no chemicals. I was struck by the lack of odour; it seemed a bit too good to be true but it was working, in a public toilet, in the summer!

Could the same idea be used in a cassette system? Very little liquid required, no chemicals, tabs, powders, lotions or potions need be added. I would assume that the resulting sludge would be non bio-hazardous, composted waste and would only require added water to flush out the cassette.

In the USA, out in the "boonies" what are called "Vault" toilets are quite common. Same principle (composting) but it comprises a very large pit (and deep, so you dont take your i-phone in there!(y)) which is vented to the outside up a stack pipe. The only difference is you dont throw and dirt in, (just the odd i-phone:LOL:). There is access, but no one ventures in very often!

P.s. Come to think of it. There may be one similar on the Crossways (CCC) site in Dorset?.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
When one had conducted one's business...you were required to fling a small handful of dried soil down the chute...

...Could the same idea be used in a cassette system?

Look at ‘Nature’s Head’ and other so called composting toilets (they produce waste suitable for composting, they don’t produce compost):

https://natureshead.net/

They separate the pee into a separate container to stop the solid stuff getting waterlogged. Disposing of the pee is apparently more objectionable than the other stuff. Some narrowboaters use them in the UK, and they’re all the rage with US #vanlifers :)

Decent description here:

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I’ll try again

Bio or non bio washing capsules?

Or blue or pink fluid?

Not interested in SOG, digging a hole or composting.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Always bio liquid or tablets. Any problem with the seals is a bit of a red herring as the liquid in the cassette will only come in contact with the seal if its very full. The only time I've had to replace seals was years ago when I was using blue.

Reactions: M-J
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Speve, we have a 68 plate Imala with a fan that switches on when the button is pressed , it seems to be located under the cassette, I also can't see where it vents out, I thought the idea was to vent out from a hole in the cassette via a small tube ? might be wrong , could anyone enlighten me.
If when you take out the casset you can see the filter in the base of the locker if you lift that out as @tonyidle said previously the fan is there and should vent through the floor if fitted correctly.
You would need to through floor and then insert a sleeve with a mesh on the outside to stop anything crawling in and. Seal around it to prevent any water ingress.(y) (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You would need to through floor and then insert a sleeve with a mesh on the outside to stop anything crawling in and. Seal around it to prevent any water ingress.(y) (y)
On mine they've used a standard domestic 1 1/4" plastic sink outlet (plug 'ole).

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
I’ll try again

Bio or non bio washing capsules?

Or blue or pink fluid?

Not interested in SOG, digging a hole or composting.
sorry if just hit the exit button oop,s pj.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
sorry if just hit the exit button oop,s pj.
Bio capsule, dilute Pink in a spray bottle. SOG or equivalent makes the biggest single difference to use of a toilet within feet of living and cooking areas - don't dismiss the idea.

tanex

Free Member
Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We were not impressed with our SOG... then realised the fan had died...Installed a new fan . All good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back