What do you use in your toilet?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Tried pretty much everything over the last 15 years of which 10 have been pretty much full timing so have spent a few nights in vans .
Black tank is best and cassette toilets are pretty useless in a Motorhome and stink no matter what you think, most people’s vans stink of Rrrrrrr’s and the ones that only wee in their toilet as they think it’s better, well they smell worse :xrofl::xdoh:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a Carthago and it came fitted as standard, I'll try the match / joss stick idea - thanks for the advice.
My 2012 Le Voyageur came with the Thetford version of the SOG - and the fan was installed wrong way round :xeek:.

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
My 2012 Le Voyageur came with the Thetford version of the SOG - and the fan was installed wrong way round :xeek:.

Yea, I must get round to checking it. I'm off to Spain tomorrow for a few weeks - I'd imagine I'll find the time.........

D

DL42846

Deleted User
As so many new members are joining daily, I thought it may be time to mention again, alternative materials to use in your toilet. I used to use the blue stuff but hated the smell and its not eco friendly. Then came the green eco fluid and others designed to be eco friendly and smell ok.
For the last few years we now only use the little green biological jelly packs made for washing machines. It smells good, does a perfect job and is much cheaper than toilet fluids. One warning though, the cassette must have no traces of chemical fluids left or they will kill the little jelly packs and will not work.
Another alternative is SOG but just the name puts me off.

Having read a few articles concerning SOG I decided to fit one in mine and try it out. Both the above methods do leave a bit of an unpleasant pong during the hot summers we get here in France. So far I'm sold on the SOG system. People say that its unpleasant when you empty it but I haven't found that. I have also tried the SOG with both Boi and the blue tablets. I don't like the smell of the blue tablets. Boi are OK but its also OK without any tablets. SOG works for us.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
What are these bio/non bio tabs you speak of? Are they the type that go in the washing machine (I’ve only ever used powder but there are some Bold 2-1 Lenor lavender and camomile tabs in the cupboard, will these do)? Sorry to sound really thick. What make/brand do you use?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What are these bio/non bio tabs you speak of? Are they the type that go in the washing machine (I’ve only ever used powder but there are some Bold 2-1 Lenor lavender and camomile tabs in the cupboard, will these do)? Sorry to sound really thick. What make/brand do you use?
Any brand of Bio laundry detergent will do apparently, however we tried them and went back to the chemicals as my man who deals with effluent (Nick) says they are more effective, we do use the stuff that does not contain formaldehyde though.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any brand of Bio laundry detergent will do apparently, however we tried them and went back to the chemicals as my man who deals with effluent (Nick) says they are more effective, we do use the stuff that does not contain formaldehyde though.
We use the cheapest bio washing 'capsules' (soft sachet thingies) usually Lidl or Aldi. They also keep the inside of the cassette pretty clean.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016
For the last few months (October to December) with no hot scorching hot sun I have not been using the usual blue chemical and have relied on the little extractor fan built into my Thetford toilet. I have not noticed any smells in the bathroom as the tiny fan extracts any nasty toilet odours (and farts). Next time I need to empty the cassette down an ordinary white domestic toilet bowl it will no longer stain the porcelain a nasty shade of blue. I have noticed that the solid contents of the cassette appear to have dissolved, or at least softened enough so I haven't experienced blockages or any other issues.

Each time the toilet is "used" the cassette's extractor fan draws oxygen (that's in the air) into the cassette and I understand it is the oxygen that causes the cassette's solid contents to decompose naturally - in the same that a sewage farm works. I don't even start off an empty cassette by putting a few litres of clean water into it each time I empty it and rinse it out with water. Of course, time will tell (in other words if we get another a hot summer) if this system continues to work well.

Some time ago, after over a year of frequent use the Thetford toilet's activated carbon exhaust filter finally gave up the ghost (it's only supposed to last a "camping season" which apparently is about 8 weeks) so I completely removed it and at over £18 a pop I don't think I will be renewing it and giving my camping neighbours the privilege of enjoying a 100% down-wind from me odour free rally. Nobody has complained yet but please mention it to me if you ever notice the occasional fruity smell. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Does anyone know what to put in the water thats used to flush to stop it getting black mould/bit in .
I use currently pink additive and get black mould/stuff in the water

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does anyone know what to put in the water thats used to flush to stop it getting black mould/bit in .
Why bother just use plain water and you won't get a problem. Most vans the flush water comes from the main tank so you can't add anything anyway.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It was specially formulated by Thetford so they could sell you mould remover :xsmile:. Just use it well diluted in a spare sprayer that can be used when you feel the bowl needs it - we have to do that anyway because (as @Lenny HB says) the flush is fed from the main tank.

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi guys, I am using the blue stuff in capsule form at the moment but will change when these have finished , do I buy the non bio or the bio from which ever supermarket !! or do I go down the organic route , we don't use for number 2's if we can help it ,but you never know.

M-J

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Am I right in thinking I just add 1xbio liquid tab (normally for washing clothes) and half a litre of water every time I empty the cassette?

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I went the SOG route and don't regret it at all. Best thing I have fitted to our MH. No need to use anything in the toilet and no smells.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We use the NON bio wash tabs - - as we were advised to do (but at that time it was liquid in a bottle) by the owner of a French site that used a Fosse Septique (Septic Tank) they advised againt using BIO as it harms the culture in the tank - an occassional one wouldn't hurt but too many would cause it to die

We buy the cheapest Lidl or Aldi ones we can find works well for us

filopastry

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I went the SOG route and don't regret it at all. Best thing I have fitted to our MH. No need to use anything in the toilet and no smells.
We have the SOG system but add a little bio-laundry liquid, egg cup full, just makes it smell a little nicer ... not that I sniff it too closely but I'm the man that does the emptying

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So 1) My SOG is not working, I think the wiring is F****d somewhere, so for the moment I an using the "green" stuff. I do miss the old R-V system though, 60 (US) gall of black (and 60 of grey). Could easily get a long weekend out of it with "room to spare". Connect up the old "macerator" and dispose of it down virtually ANY hole that would take it (legally of course) up to 50 yards away down 1" flat hose. Then run the grey behind it. chuck in a couple of "tablets". "Job"(by) done. When we did the self build, I put in a dedicated inlet in the yard at home straight into the foul drain!. Trouble with cassettes is they need to be emptied too often, best daily IMHO, or they give trouble. P.S. are cheap dishwasher tablets any Good?.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Sog with bio washing liquid for me never had any bad smells in the bathroom since moving to this combination

River gypsys

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Sog and water, works brilliantly

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't put water in after emptying Someone will piss in it soon enough. No point in filling it unnecessarily
Don't rinse unless really needed as it flushes out the bacteria needed to break things down

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have a SOG fan vented through roof, so hopefully haven't upset any neighbours yet.
We still have some chemicals to use up from buying a huge amount for the caravan a couple of years back, and I aint wasting them:D
Pink stuff in a trigger squirt bottle to rinse bowl is a must for me, as it keeps the bowl fresh.
But then there's also SODS law.
Sods law One: is that you will need the loo for number 2's when you have left the site or restaurant, and there aren't any other choices but the Thetford Cassette.
Sods Law 2: I will always have to empty it:( I agreed of course with a disclaimer...in the event that TinaL starts shaving her face, then she can take over(y):D
Les

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi everyone, just been reading about something similar to this in the MMM magazine someone has just had a SOG fitted and were asking can they use biological washing powder/liquid to fragrance the cassette but some have said it will degrade the rubber seals , but Thetford have said you can't use ANY household detergents in the toilet as it will damage the rubber and mechanisms , Dometic and Thetford say the same household detergent don't work the same as caravan chemicals, so do you use the washing tabs or not (just bought some from Aldi) bio or non bio.

JJ

Mágica
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Nothing.

Every couple of months I drive over an appropriate dump spot... slide open the black tank valve... contents, now mostly broken down into liquid, slurp downwards... all sorted!

JJ :cool:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Whilst on the toilet thread, I have a question someone might know!

In my Autotrail Apache 700, 2 years old, when I touch the toilet flush button a fan switches on. Its quite noisy so I always switch it off manually as soon as it starts.
What is it for? Is it a sog?

I've looked around but cant see where it is venting or what it is doing!
Any idea what its for please?
If it's the same as was on our 2013 Tracker FB it was not vented at all and the fan just whirred around against the floor making a racket.
I fitted a SOG after I discovered it having a little more knowledge about it now I could have drilled a hole and vented through the floor as it should have been in the first place.(y)

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Speve, we have a 68 plate Imala with a fan that switches on when the button is pressed , it seems to be located under the cassette, I also can't see where it vents out, I thought the idea was to vent out from a hole in the cassette via a small tube ? might be wrong , could anyone enlighten me.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Apart from the fact you are all just talking sh1te...How bout this idea?

I have in the past used dry bio toilets. Basically a fancy hole in the ground with a suitable shed and throne above. When one had conducted one's business...you were required to fling a small handful of dried soil down the chute. Job done, no smell, naturally composted. Completely 100% natural, no chemicals. I was struck by the lack of odour; it seemed a bit too good to be true but it was working, in a public toilet, in the summer!

Could the same idea be used in a cassette system? Very little liquid required, no chemicals, tabs, powders, lotions or potions need be added. I would assume that the resulting sludge would be non bio-hazardous, composted waste and would only require added water to flush out the cassette.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Speve, we have a 68 plate Imala with a fan that switches on when the button is pressed , it seems to be located under the cassette, I also can't see where it vents out, I thought the idea was to vent out from a hole in the cassette via a small tube ? might be wrong , could anyone enlighten me.
Under the cassette on mine is a removable filter unit (looks like a plastic box) & under that is the fan. There is a vent below the fan. A hole in the top face of the filter has a raised bar across it that operates a valve in the cassette. It's a Thetford fan unit and the cassette is designed to work with it.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Only paper then air freshener, all I need !:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun