What do the continentals do with their bedding? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Us Continentals either have a gin palace with all the mod cons Inc washing machine etc or are like us, not so far from home, we carry a spare sheet and duvet covers, but we are rarely away for more than 4 weeks so one swap is enough, maybe when we do longer Trips we will re-think our strategy.
We are on holiday, cooking, cleaning etc are kept to a minimum :giggle:
We take spare bedding so we don't have to wash it also enough undies etc for our entire 2 month holidays, usually 60 pairs of knickers each plus a few spares 'just in case'. :LOL:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We can wash duvet covers, but the king size duvet itself needs dry cleaning every spring as being Hungarian goose down it cant go in a washing machine she tells me. I don't argue as I can remember only too well how much these John Lewis duvets cost! :eek:
PS: they don't come back looking any cleaner either, just need further airing due to the dry cleaning chemicals.
We now use sleeping bags in the van, zip up in winter, open in summer, job done, bed made in seconds.
LES

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013

We use these duvets, pillows and mattress protectors on all beds at home and the Motorhome.

The extra light weight duvet is perfect for the Motorhome in warm climates. Being wool it regulates your temperature better. I found them very helpful when going through the menopause. Being menopausal is very trendy at the moment so I’m mentioning it at every opportunity…

We go away for 3 month long trips and take 3 sets of bedding. Changed weekly, same as home. All 100% cotton and high thread count. I did try linen bedding but it made the van look like a Tracey Emin exhibit.

Nothing better than a lovely fresh bed to dive into.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Being menopausal is very trendy at the moment so I’m mentioning it at every opportunity…
Get yourself a Chillow or similar cooling pad, my hubby's boss told me about it and it was a lifesaver at night when I was turning into an inferno!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Get yourself a Chillow or similar cooling pad, my hubby's boss told me about it and it was a lifesaver at night when I was turning into an inferno!
I use a dog cooling mat from aldi if only i could remember where I stored it for the winter 🤣 was cheaper than same size 'human' one .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We always have plenty of duvet covers with us , but in hot climes we air duvets at least once every couple of weeks . Sunlight is an excellent natural disinfectant and airing in strong sunlight for a few hours is as good as washing, it gets rid of bacteria, dust mites etc and really freshens it up (y).

OP
OP
Rocking Rivet
Sep 9, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Since 2012
These are the bags we have been using all cotton
QUECHUA

COTTON SLEEPING BAG FOR CAMPING - ULTIMCOMFORT 20° COTTON KHAKI​

At 2m long, there's nothing better than combining it with a second sleeping bag of the same model so that 2 people can sleep in it.Can be opened up & used as a duvet.Machine washable: easy to maintain

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We drove through a housing estate in Holland one summer and just about every house had their duvets hanging half out their bedroom windows for airing.

I don't see the point in that. Whatever bedding they hang out is just getting dirty from the window frame, wall, or balcony. What's wrong with just turning the bed back and opening the window? That way, both the room and bedding get aired 🤷‍♂️

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We take two sets of bedding.
One in the laundry bag other on the bed, and swap every time we do laundry (about every 2-3 weeks depending on weather and campsite)

We have 3 duvets.
A 1 tog, a 4 tog and a 10 tog.
In the winter I have the 10 tog and the wife has the 4 tog and maybe the 1 tog as well.
In the summer I have the 4 tog and she has the 1 tog. The 10 tog lives in a vacuum storage bag.

On the rare occasions when it hot, very sunny and we have a lazing around in the campsite type of day, then I have been known to get out the duvets and air them all and kill off anything in the hot sun.

As backup I also have a Swiss Army blanket.
They are still usually available on Ebay for about £30-40
Very warm! But as they have been in storage since the 1960's they smell of wet dog when you first get them and they need to be aired for at least a month before the smell goes.
But I've slept under it in a hammock in January, so they really work and I've just bought another to convert into a campfire poncho.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I don't see the point in that. Whatever bedding they hang out is just getting dirty from the window frame, wall, or balcony. What's wrong with just turning the bed back and opening the window? That way, both the room and bedding get aired 🤷‍♂️

Because in the Netherlands their window frames are clean, like in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It’s a common practice where i could show you that many in our village do most Saturday mornings, as you said though they leave the window open to air the room at the same time.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Because in the Netherlands their window frames are clean, like in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It’s a common practice where i could show you that many in our village do most Saturday mornings, as you said though they leave the window open to air the room at the same time.

The frames may be clean but do you wash the walls, too? I see this practice in France and Spain, too. I wouldn't want my clean bedding hanging against an outside wall.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The frames may be clean but do you wash the walls, too? I see this practice in France and Spain, too. I wouldn't want my clean bedding hanging against an outside wall.
It’s Switzerland, we wash everything here😁

Don’t see the issue and never have taken our duvet in and seen anything on it, and as probably a few hundred people do it that i see every week it’s either a non issue or maybe people just tolerate it in preference for fresh smelling bedding without using chemicals.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
At my 4th floor flat in Cologne the vertically hinged windows opened inwards into the room making cleaning them a doddle. Back home windows open outwards so I need to have a window cleaner. Seems daft why 'ours' don't open inwards like the ones in Germany. :unsure:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
At my 4th floor flat in Cologne the vertically hinged windows opened inwards into the room making cleaning them a doddle. Back home windows open outwards so I need to have a window cleaner. Seems daft why 'ours' don't open inwards like the ones in Germany. :unsure:

Same here, all windows open inwards and in most cases can be removed off their hinges.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Same here, all windows open inwards and in most cases can be removed off their hinges.
Yes, it seems so obvious that I can't see why 'ours' aren't like that except that perhaps having them open outwards makes it simpler (cheaper?) to seal them against the weather - but the Germans manage it O.K.
The flats were rebuilt immediately after being destroyed in WW2 and the other thing that puzzled me was that the toilet pan (oh dear, sorry, toilets) had a shelf halfway down above the water. My German OH said it was because many of the German people liked the option to inspect their 'doings' before flushing. :unsure:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, it seems so obvious that I can't see why 'ours' aren't like that except that perhaps having them open outwards makes it simpler (cheaper?) to seal them against the weather - but the Germans manage it O.K.
The flats were rebuilt immediately after being destroyed in WW2 and the other thing that puzzled me was that the toilet pan (oh dear, sorry, toilets) had a shelf halfway down above the water. My German OH said it was because many of the German people liked the option to inspect their 'doings' before flushing. :unsure:

Yes the inspection chamber was quite common, less so these days it seems.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC

We use these duvets, pillows and mattress protectors on all beds at home and the Motorhome.

The extra light weight duvet is perfect for the Motorhome in warm climates. Being wool it regulates your temperature better. I found them very helpful when going through the menopause. Being menopausal is very trendy at the moment so I’m mentioning it at every opportunity…

We go away for 3 month long trips and take 3 sets of bedding. Changed weekly, same as home. All 100% cotton and high thread count. I did try linen bedding but it made the van look like a Tracey Emin exhibit.

Nothing better than a lovely fresh bed to dive into.
Can males be included in this new trend or are we excluded?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Can males be included in this new trend or are we excluded?

Feel free to join the waning hormones club, luckily you won’t have vaginal atrophy to deal with though….🫣

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
In our PVC, we use the spare duvet cover as a curtain to blank off the bed area, when needed. It uses a B&Q lightweight plastic curtain rail where the sliders are mini bulldog clips.
Then it airs automatically.
But we also try to get the whole duvet out for airing every few days, or at least keep turning it over.

You regularly see experienced campers airing a sleeping bag on the top of their tents on a Sunday morning etc, inside out, before it's packed away tight.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Every time I refurb a house I make sure the windows open inwards, or tilt and turn.

I also have a policy of one of the windows into the main room(s) being able to be opened on a tilt for normal ventilation but also to be opened inward on a side hinge so that large items of furniture such as sofas and beds can easily be moved in and out.

1723983758544.png

Every time I spec it, I get questioned by the window company.
Every time I have it installed I get comments from the builders and fitters on what a bright idea it was and they will do the same in future.
And new tenants and furniture companies love it.

It never ceases to amaze me that in this day and age it's not standard fitting instructions for every window salesman in the land.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Due to HSE directives, I have installed large amounts of these tilt and turns. However, they are more fragile than either conventional alternative, and a right royal PIA when they go wrong due use/miss use/lack of maintenance. They are good when working.
Mike.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Due to HSE directives, I have installed large amounts of these tilt and turns. However, they are more fragile than either conventional alternative, and a right royal PIA when they go wrong due use/miss use/lack of maintenance. They are good when working.
Mike.
Thanks. Worth noting.

I've been specing them into our properties since about 2010.
Yet to have one go wrong, as they mainly only get used for the tilt function.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Thanks. Worth noting.

I've been specing them into our properties since about 2010.
Yet to have one go wrong, as they mainly only get used for the tilt function.
My work was more industrial units, so operatives use them with a less sympathetic manner, [ brute force], that and fully repairing leases seemed to be a recipe for frequent failure.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back