What car to tow (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
We have a 2010 Autotrail frontier navajo.
Thinking of getting a car to tow.
What cars do you tow?
We are on our 2nd Hyundai i10 . Great little car . Fun to drive 4 door hatch . We have the tow bar 2 tow car towing A Frame . No complaints at all.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I tow with a VW up. We tried various small cars and found the Up to have more room, smoother gear box and bigger boot. Free tax, excellent mpg and a great little run around.

I’d be more concerned with which company you are going to use (if not already on car) for adapting the car and supplying the frame. We had a frightening experience with Towtal and then got the work rectified at TAF, Chesterfield. Would never recommend Towtal but TAF were brilliant and safe!
VW Up and TAF, great combination. I wouldn’t consider an A frame type that uses the towing eyes.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Tell me more about your MX5 Please! We have an MX5 mk2.5 Phoenix, I’d read that you can’t tow them as it buggers up the gearbox and differential. Did you have any issues? We currently tow Kathryn’s Aygo but when the Samoyeds pass away we’ll only have Rosie the Yorkshire Terrorist with us and she loves the ‘5. (The Samoyeds and the Terrorist can’t all fit in the ‘5 if I take SHWMBO as well)

Cheers!

Russ
There won't be any issues because it's on a trailer.

KLWinton

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 12, 2023
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Ecore 255
Exp
On and off for 30 years
Cheap, economical and no problems on any pitch. Perfect for the wife and I with our two Westies.
IMG_1982.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
We tow a VW Up with our PVC and find it very easy and adds loads of flexibility to our holidays when staying on a site for more than a couple of nights. If we are on a touring/moving around break we don’t take the car.
Some may think it odd to tow a car with a PVC, but we were replacing our home runabout anyway and it made sense to get a toad for versatility - the Up gives that in spades!
Long story behind purchase, however! We were conned big time by a motorhome dealer who was selling the car as a ‘tow
car’. We discovered after we bought it that the A frame was illegal as it was unbraked and the attachment to the car was lethal! We went to TAF and they replaced the A frame with a PROPER job (they actually use our old frame as an example of how NOT to do it!). Can’t recommend TAF enough and we now have the perfect combo for us.

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Toyota Aygo with Towbars to Towcars set up.
Very light, easy to park, no road fund(TAX) and sips fuel. Can’t beat the reliability of Japanese either!

Oct 28, 2016
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
7 years
I have an Autotrail 09 reg. I've been towing a Smart car (smart 4 two) for 6 years. I'd be lost without it, as I don't do public transport. I tow it on an 'A' frame, and you wouldn't know it was there. Easy to see on rear cameras. I use a trailer when travelling abroad, for obvious reasons. Smart car can be parked in ridiculously small places that other cars can only dream of. I have hardly ever failed to park where I want.

Feb 29, 2020
Fordingbridge
Funster No
MH
Terry mabbatt
Exp
Auto trail savannah
Before looking for a car check your train weight.
That's the weight of both van and car combined.
If it's withing the train weight then ok.
If it's more it's not legal.
What cars do you tow?
We pull a c1 Citroen don’t even know it’s there 👍👍

PxJ

Dec 1, 2021
Bottesford, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
BESSACARR 442
Exp
Whichever company you use or buy a car with conversion, all tell you the same, you can tow your car in Europe & give you the paperwork in umpteen languages. So some people say use a trailer & some use “A Frame”

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Taf manufacture a new cross member that is bolted direct to the chassis legs and cut 2 discreet holes in the lower front grill to connect the a frame to the car

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Taf manufacture a new cross member that is bolted direct to the chassis legs and cut 2 discreet holes in the lower front grill to connect the a frame to the car
Yes they do it properly, the towing eyes are not designed for the stresses and strains of an A frame.

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Suzuki Ignis on a trailer. About the only small car that can have a tow bar fitted, so can move the trailer when we finish our trip. Great little car.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
We tow a VW Up with our PVC and find it very easy and adds loads of flexibility to our holidays when staying on a site for more than a couple of nights. If we are on a touring/moving around break we don’t take the car.
Some may think it odd to tow a car with a PVC, but we were replacing our home runabout anyway and it made sense to get a toad for versatility - the Up gives that in spades!
Long story behind purchase, however! We were conned big time by a motorhome dealer who was selling the car as a ‘tow
car’. We discovered after we bought it that the A frame was illegal as it was unbraked and the attachment to the car was lethal! We went to TAF and they replaced the A frame with a PROPER job (they actually use our old frame as an example of how NOT to do it!). Can’t recommend TAF enough and we now have the perfect combo for us.
We are downsizing to a PVC next year and will continue to tow our VW Up GTI on the TowAFrame A-frame we had recently installed, it’s a great bit of kit and a great combination, the car is a real pleasure to drive with a nice bit of power if needed, unlike our old Hyundai i10 which was way underpowered. The whole rig is a pleasure to use.

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Peugeot 108 1.2 means you can go up a hill with the aircon on !
Great car, five door, good performance, no road tax, 50 mpg and handles well.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Citroen C3 for us. Weighs just 980kg. With the MAM being 5,400kg and 4,400kg MGW there is plenty of allowance as we usually go out at 4,100kg. Being a 3.0l we don't even know it is behind the Autotrail Cheyenne 740SE.
Thinking of upgrading to a Seat Arona FS Sport, which weighs in at 1291kg, taking us to maximum MAM.

IMG_20200901_163002_6.jpg

Jul 15, 2023
Eggborough, Goole, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649
Exp
Since 2003
What cars do you tow?
Suzuki Celerio. 820KG with 1/4 tank of petrol ( this is before the towing bracket was fitted). it will seat 5 adults. And we can squeeze the wife's mobility scooter in the boot.

Jul 15, 2023
Eggborough, Goole, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649
Exp
Since 2003
Suzuki Celerio. 820KG with 1/4 tank of petrol ( this is before the towing bracket was fitted). it will seat 5 adults. And we can squeeze the wife's mobility scooter in the boot.
Also I would suggest putting the car on the weighbridge and get an accurate weight. I was told that a 22 plate Citroën C3 1.2 shine plus weighed under 950 kg. On the weighbridge with 1/2 tank petrol it weighed in at 1200kg which would have made made my unit seriously overweight. It pays to check things out yourself and don't rely on the logbook or manufacturer as any extras will ramp up the weight.

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Hi, I thought long and hard about buying a car to tow behind our motorhome but could not justify the cost. If I’m away and staying in the same location for 3 or more days I tend to hire a car locally. Devon £150 for a week including insurance. Dorset £120 for 3 days. Cornwall I used the local buses. In total this year using Taxis, buses, car hire £400ish. Compared to purchasing and running another car ?

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
We are downsizing to a PVC next year and will continue to tow our VW Up GTI on the TowAFrame A-frame we had recently installed, it’s a great bit of kit and a great combination, the car is a real pleasure to drive with a nice bit of power if needed, unlike our old Hyundai i10 which was way underpowered. The whole rig is a pleasure to use.
How can you compare a VW gti with the i10 which we have. Yes it's no sports car but it is a very good little run about and toes very well.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
2yrs with a VW Polo 1.4sri with wife’s mobility scooter in the luggage area, towed on a towtal A frame, bit heavy same design as Armitages
I added 2 x small trolley wheels to the frame so I can wheel it about like a barrow, I also have a jockey wheel fitted so when fitted to car I can drive car up to Moho and see when hitch is bang on tow all

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We just don't get this tow a car behind a motorhome thing, surely if you want to tow it would be better going down the car/caravan route.
Our thoughts are how much to fit a tow bar, buy the tow car, then the means with which to tow it, cost of insurance, service etc etc.
When away and we need a car we just phone Enterprise or whoever and they deliver a car, when we are finished with it they come and pick it up, so we avoid all the hassle and expense of owning and towing.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
We just don't get this tow a car behind a motorhome thing, surely if you want to tow it would be better going down the car/caravan route.
Our thoughts are how much to fit a tow bar, buy the tow car, then the means with which to tow it, cost of insurance, service etc etc.
When away and we need a car we just phone Enterprise or whoever and they deliver a car, when we are finished with it they come and pick it up, so we avoid all the hassle and expense of owning and towing.
Car & Caravan = heavy car required to tow decent sized Caravan. Potentially unstable if wrongly loaded. Difficulty parking large car.

Motorhome & Smart = No stability issues. Always a parking space left by some bad parkers fit for a Smart. 70mpg instead of 30mpg whilst exploring.

Motorhome on it's own = depending on size (anything much bigger than a T5) marooned on site. Extreme difficulty parking it anywhere (especially UK touring). Packing up each time you want to explore.

Personally if I could not take the Smart I would not have the Motorhome at all. They come as an outfit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back