Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I see the old 'it's just a bit of soapy water' argument is being trotted out again.
We all know that it's not.
Grey waste has bits of food, leftover liquids from cooking or drinking and chemicals in it.

But that's all it is, and it's harmless. We have literally hundreds of gallons a year thrown in our hedges and around trees, it does no harm at all, in fact the berries and nettles are more prolific where the grey is dumped. That said, I agree with you, leaving it on a pitch is not on.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Campsites sound lovely places .

And from the comments of folk using them you can see why I dont🤣🤣

Word association.

Camps always always make me think aushwitz etc

And wardens always make me think shawshank redemption.

You get numpties wildcamping too but at least I'm not paying for them.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Try dumping your washing up water at home onto the same part of your garden every single day for 8 months, see how long it is before it stinks to high heaven and attracts flies and rats. We stopped putting food into the bird feeders because it attracted rats after only a few weeks.
If a site provides facilities to dispose of grey waste, use them. The same people would be first to criticise the campsite if their pitch smelled. There's too many people around these days who feel entitled to do as they please, to hell with everyone else :(

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Try dumping your washing up water at home onto the same part of your garden every single day for 8 months, see how long it is before it stinks to high heaven and attracts flies and rats. We stopped putting food into the bird feeders because it attracted rats after only a few weeks.
If a site provides facilities to dispose of grey waste, use them. The same people would be first to criticise the campsite if their pitch smelled. There's too many people around these days who feel entitled to do as they please, to hell with everyone else :(
I've done exactly that for 6 months each year for the last 4 or 5 years. No smell no sign it's ever happened.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I've done exactly that for 6 months each year for the last 4 or 5 years. No smell no sign it's ever happened.
And that’s great, I throw any bowls of washing up water, car wash water etc over the garden, however, it’s not the point, the OP was asked not to do it on this particular site, they ain’t going to change the rules for him, he simply has to comply. If you don’t like to comply, and many don’t, then you simply book somewhere else next time or stay off grid where you can put your waste under any hedge, shit in a bag and put it in a waste bin, or do whatever you like, I think the big problem here was the warden tried to give reasons, in this case the environmental agency, he should have just said, ‘you ain’t doing it here, if you don’t like it, push off’. I agree with the OP, it was a pathetic excuse, however, I don’t agree with the fact the OP took issue with it. We have had a number of articles on this site about CAMC site rules, lots of us like them, loads don’t, however, they still seem to use them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And that’s great, I throw any bowls of washing up water, car wash water etc over the garden, however, it’s not the point, the OP was asked not to do it on this particular site, they ain’t going to change the rules for him, he simply has to comply. If you don’t like to comply, and many don’t, then you simply book somewhere else next time or stay off grid where you can put your waste under any hedge, shit in a bag and put it in a waste bin, or do whatever you like, I think the big problem here was the warden tried to give reasons, in this case the environmental agency, he should have just said, ‘you ain’t doing it here, if you don’t like it, push off’. I agree with the OP, it was a pathetic excuse, however, I don’t agree with the fact the OP took issue with it. We have had a number of articles on this site about CAMC site rules, lots of us like them, loads don’t, however, they still seem to use them.
I couldn't care less to be honest I don't and never will use sites. I was just answering someone who said

"Try dumping your washing up water at home onto the same part of your garden every single day for 8 months, see how long it is before it stinks to high heaven and attracts flies and rats"

And told them I've done exactly that ... but no flies and certainly no rats. No food waste either I should add as anyone with any sense doesn't let food waste go in to a plastic tank in their motorhome.

Then again it was only for 6 months at a time ...maybe 8 months would have been different.

But I doubt it.

So I'm not sure why you're lecturing me.

The warden may well have been right. But the fact he didn't speak to any of the folk doing it with buckets does kind of dilute his point a bit.

Personally I think he was a jobsworth . But I don't know him personally

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Because of the cost of water in Cornwall my mother always used the washing up water for her garden plants in Summer.
Is water more expensive in Cornwall?

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
On arrival I aways ask the site how they want me to dispose of grey waste. If they're happy with the hedge then that's where it goes, if not then it goes in their designated waste point. I wouldn't assume a hedge is OK without checking as I've seen some sites with explicit rules against it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
As the OP, I took issue with the fact :-
  • Nowhere on the site or in its visitor information did it state you could/ should not discharge into hedges
  • The weak reasoning for not allowing it
  • The insinuation that I was the only culprit, when clearly others were discharging into hedges.

In actual fact, whilst my waste pipe was placed in the hedge, all the waste was still collecting in my tank, So I hadn’t actually discharged into the hedge..

Reactions: HKF

hallhmik

Free Member
May 21, 2023
Chichester, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057DBL
I assume that nowhere on site did it state you should not shit in the hedge. Why would they produce a great long list of what you should not do. Their welcome pack will have had a map showing where grey waste should be dumped so it should be dumped there and nowhere else.

Are they also supposed to watch your waste pipe for hours to see if you are actually dumping or still keeping it in the tank. You had the pipe connected so clearly had the intention of dumping into the hedge which they asked you not to do.

Just because a lot of campers do not let food waste go down their sink does not mean that everybody does the same. Are they also supposed to check what waste you are discharging before asking you to stop.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I assume that nowhere on site did it state you should not shit in the hedge. Why would they produce a great long list of what you should not do. Their welcome pack will have had a map showing where grey waste should be dumped so it should be dumped there and nowhere else.

Are they also supposed to watch your waste pipe for hours to see if you are actually dumping or still keeping it in the tank. You had the pipe connected so clearly had the intention of dumping into the hedge which they asked you not to do.

Just because a lot of campers do not let food waste go down their sink does not mean that everybody does the same. Are they also supposed to check what waste you are discharging before asking you to stop.
Well at least human excrement naturally breaks down and becomes a fertiliser… win win for the hedge and natural habitat…(y)

In terms of signage on CAMC sites…. They have a sign for everything…. well almost everything..:unsure:

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
I'm sorry to see that people think that emptying waste water directly out of their vans is acceptable. I think it's as acceptable as dropping litter, and let's face it, plenty of people in this country think dropping litter is perfectly acceptable. I would not want to be parked by someone who is emptying grey waste straight out of their vehicles. For one thing, that water definitely smells.

Presumably, it is the same people who leave trails of waste water on the camp site roads?

I am glad that the club sites have fairly strict rules and that they maintain good standards.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I wouldn't empty my grey onto the ground on a site, road or anywhere else. I just think it's a bit antisocial. However, I have done it at home on the gravelled yard. We don't have any neighbours. The only downside to that is that it waters the weeds!!! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do you carry your own 'sod of earth' around with you when travelling then? 😄

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Me too. I prefer not to have any food residing in the waste tank.
Just had this email from our water company. Interesting info. Just saying!

IMG_0402.png

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I spent 3 weeks in the Alps on a campsite in 35 degree temperatures. The grey water from the caravan was emptied at the back of the pitch from a pipe every day.

The result after three weeks was lush grass and no smell at all. Compare that with a day of collecting it in the waste master which always stank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back