Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I see the old 'it's just a bit of soapy water' argument is being trotted out again.
We all know that it's not.
Grey waste has bits of food, leftover liquids from cooking or drinking and chemicals in it.

In terms of throwing grey water into hedges, that may be ok on SOME sites, where they ask you to do it or say that it's fine, and where it's managed. Or in some event situations such as described in P24.
It's not ok to just do it and assume it's fine, especially where there are grey disposal facilities on site.

It's especially not ok to let it run off onto your pitch as some do. I do not want to encourage vermin anywhere near my van, and that is what happens when food scraps etc are left lying underneath or nearby. And I wouldn't like to arrive on a pitch which has the residue from someone else's waste water soaked into it. Where a pitch could have an awning or a tent that's even more disgusting.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
In New Zealand, the NZ Motor Caravan Association (to which approximately 95% of motorhome and caravan owners belong) bans members from dumping grey waste anywhere other than a dump station. Anyone found breaking the rule is excluded from the club which is a major penalty considering the NZMCA operates a large number of the most popular sites around the country and has a big say in local and national government policy on camping.
Personally, I fail to see the problem with dumping grey waste around trees and shrubs, but then I’m no scientist and the NZMCA, Department of Conservation, Environment Agency, etc employ people who are and they make the rules so I think I should abide by them.
Incidentally, almost every town in NZ has a public dump station for grey and black waste which is free of charge and this makes wild camping so much easier.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Both sides are correct in this case.

If large sites allowed everyone to dump grey water into the hedges over the season the ground would be saturated and the "food residue" would go rancid, stink and attract flies. Not nice for late season users.

A few years back I ran the infrastructure side of a large (8000+) weekend camp on an agricultural showground. We were advised by both the showground staff and the local water company rep to dispose of grey water either by scattering in the hedgerows or into the "french drains". The Crows and Seagulls would take care of the food residue, water will pass back into the aquifers quicker and the soil will act as a filter. Difference between that and a large campsite was once we'd packed up a left it would be several weeks before anyone else was likely to do similar. Time for mother nature to clean up.

Finally, the way some people act when on site I'm not surprised wardens get grumpy. I certainly would at some of the behaviour I've witnessed.
Do people actually allow food waste to go down the narrow waste pipes in their vans? Unbelievable..I would not do that in my house..Just wipe the plates before washing..BUSBY

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well we all know that’s utter tosh, and grey water on many Club CL’s is requested to be used to water the hedges I would have asked to be shown that rule
It's there in black and white if a member requests it on an affected site. The environmental lobby is slowly strangling our way of camping

Just last week we got final judgement from the council and Natural England. A site we have used for decades, just along the road from Blue Pool and half a mile from Wytch farm has been permanently removed from our list of acceptable sites. All because of the nutrient neutrality issues. Ridiculous thing is we get banned from camping there because it could contaminate Poole harbour. A few months ago Wytch farm had a crude oil spill in that very same harbour. Will take years to clean up with soaps. That very same soap in our grey waste. Go figure that one out.

If we camp there we will be fined but the owners of the oil well get off Scotland free for environmental destruction

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
There is no food waste or grease in our Grey waste tank, as I have always adopted the method of wiping pots & plates and washing them outside the van in a separate wash bowl. The Grey waste from the tank is collected in a bucket, then disposed of as required by the site or in our case Rally Field, which is normally in a hedge or onto the grass.
Never had a smelly grey tank as its always emptied as we use it, as for a smelly pitch or hedgerow contaminated with food waste or worse, thats nothing a bucket of Bleach wouldn't sort out.:giggle::imoutahere:
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
These are CAMC sites, you do as you are asked and everyone is happy, you want to do it your way, you go to a boutique campsite that caters for individual needs, do not understand why anyone expects the site to change their rules to suit them. You want to feed your waste to the hedge go to a site that gives you that option, there are plenty of them.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
If it’s all so harmless, not smelly, has no food in it etc, why not just let it drain on your pitch and save the effort of having to bucket it and carry it to the hedge? Won’t cause any issues treading it around and inside the van if it’s only a bit of water!

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
What is the matter with people in general these days? From what the OP has written, the warden wasn't rude and explained why he asked the OP not to dump it in the hedge. I'm no big fan of wardens but this request seems reasonable. Just do as asked, it isn't a big ask after all.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Encourages flies from flying into vans and around the site..to hedgerows..brilliant

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think if it's their site and they ask not to dump it in the hedge that's fair enough. If anyone wants to avoid a warden asking them not to ask on arrival if it's allowed although I suspect a lot won't want to as they might get the answer they don't want!

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We have a pre wash in the van our 2 dogs no residues on our plates before washing
Chasnam.
I have a disabled brother in law. Years ago when he was much younger his mum asked him where his plate was after tea. In cupboard, he replied. Did you wash it she asked. Sweep cleaned it, he said. Sweep was the dog! No one knows how long he’d been doing it for!

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
In New Zealand, the NZ Motor Caravan Association (to which approximately 95% of motorhome and caravan owners belong) bans members from dumping grey waste anywhere other than a dump station. Anyone found breaking the rule is excluded from the club which is a major penalty considering the NZMCA operates a large number of the most popular sites around the country and has a big say in local and national government policy on camping.
Personally, I fail to see the problem with dumping grey waste around trees and shrubs, but then I’m no scientist and the NZMCA, Department of Conservation, Environment Agency, etc employ people who are and they make the rules so I think I should abide by them.
Incidentally, almost every town in NZ has a public dump station for grey and black waste which is free of charge and this makes wild camping so much easier.
You’ve hit the nail on the head Kiwi. Over there we have options for easy waste disposal. Same when we go to Germany and France. Not so here. Putting bath or shower water on your garden is a world away from chucking your nasty greasy old washing up water into the same bit of hedge. It’s the same when you pee in your garden; you don’t pee in the same place, do you? Or maybe that wasn’t such a good example…

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well we all know that’s utter tosh, and grey water on many Club CL’s is requested to be used to water the hedges I would have asked to be shown that rule

I wasn't there. I'm not the OP :)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Don't have goldfish!! 🐡🐡🐡🐡
Is that because you put them in the gray water? :rolleyes:
More than 99% of the time dumping gray water in a hedge or whatever makes no impact and at times of drought could well be a benefit.
Doing it on a site without prior permission is still not on.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Is that because you put them in the gray water? :rolleyes:
More than 99% of the time dumping gray water in a hedge or whatever makes no impact and at times of drought could well be a benefit.
Doing it on a site without prior permission
Is that because you put them in the gray water?
Nope it's because.... maybe you missed it first time.... I don't have any.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back