Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
So am on a CAMC site.

Warden walking around and said that he’d seen I had a waste pipe from my tank to the hedges behind our pitch. He said that I needed to remove it and hold the waste in the tank. The reason given that the environment agency doesn’t allow it because the waste causes a problem with flies…..

Well who knew!!

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
So am on a CAMC site.

Warden walking around and said that he’d seen I had a waste pipe from my tank to the hedges behind our pitch. He said that I needed to remove it and hold the waste in the tank. The reason given that the environment agency doesn’t allow it because the waste causes a problem with flies…..

Well who knew!!

I'm glad I live in France and don't need to cross paths with these dictatorial numpties :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Is that the same Environment Agency that allows water companies to dump millions of gallons of waste into water courses / sea pretty much with immunity ?
;)
Yes.. and that is effectively black waste, not grey. I think every CL we have been on has told us to put it in the hedge or around a tree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So am on a CAMC site.

Well who knew!!
Actually the environment agency ban it in some areas due to "nutrient neutrality" and nitrates leaching into surrounding soil. Even hotter if near a water course or a site of special scientific interest SSSI

I have been given lecture after lecture about it as sites office for a local DA.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just because the warden has been told the reason, does not necessarily mean they pass on the correct message. Training is in a classroom environment and most people switch off pretty quickly and just skim read the manual. Sorry I can't supply a copy but have read it myself. When people joke about as boring as watching grass grow, there is actually a section on that too

Back in the real world councils water the flowers in the parks with grey water to be more environmentally friendly. Recycled water that also provide nutrients for the flowers to grow reducing the need for artificial fertilisers. In a drought conditions we are encouraged to water the garden with grey water. Left hand and right hand totally out of synchronisation

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I had to laugh as when we were walking our dogs out of the site, I saw 2 different vans emptying their waste into buckets and then they poured the contents into the hedges…. As I passed reception, I suggested to the warden that he might need to give a briefing to all customers about the danger of an infestation of flies…. He replied that whilst I might not be happy about not being allowed to discharge into the hedges, all other campers were following the rules….. however, as he was telling me this, another motorhome was emptying his bucket of waste water into the hedge opposite reception…. :giggle: Karma…

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I think one problem on this issue, not obviously in this case, is that some... maybe most uninitiated do not understand the differance between "grey waste" and "black waste".
They see us emptying liquid and assume it is yucky yuck..
BUT they would be happy to and do tip oil, fat, grease infused water down their kitchen sink at home and think nothing of it and don't care where it goes or the issues it causes in the sewer system...
BUT we are polluting the planet....

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I had to laugh as when we were walking our dogs out of the site, I saw 2 different vans emptying their waste into buckets and then they poured the contents into the hedges…. As I passed reception, I suggested to the warden that he might need to give a briefing to all customers about the danger of an infestation of flies…. He replied that whilst I might not be happy about not being allowed to discharge into the hedges, all other campers were following the rules….. however, as he was telling me this, another motorhome was emptying his bucket of waste water into the hedge opposite reception…. :giggle: Karma…
Now I am confused...
Are you saying that those emptying their van waste into a bucket and then tipping that into the hedges are following the rules... but because you were doing the same, but missing out the bucket and using a hose were breaking club rules.
Well IMO if true...
Yep Bully Warden who thinks he wears the stripes.🤣🤣

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Now I am confused...
Are you saying that those emptying their van waste into a bucket and then tipping that into the hedges are following the rules... but because you were doing the same, but missing out the bucket and using a hose were breaking club rules.
Well IMO if true...
Yep Bully Warden who thinks he wears the stripes.🤣🤣
No… all hedge dumping is not allowed. It was just that he said I was the only culprit..

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I remember in 1976 we were told to use our bathwater for the garden
We were encouraged to do the same a couple of years ago in that mad spell of really hot weather when hose pipe bans were in force. Cindy insisted we showered in family bathroom and I used a syphon hose out of the upstairs window, across the garage roof and down to the back garden to fill up water buckets/containers for her.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What you need for wardens visits is a small square moustache and a greasy side parting.
See what kind of response you get.

Adolf-Hitler-1933.jpg

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
Both sides are correct in this case.

If large sites allowed everyone to dump grey water into the hedges over the season the ground would be saturated and the "food residue" would go rancid, stink and attract flies. Not nice for late season users.

A few years back I ran the infrastructure side of a large (8000+) weekend camp on an agricultural showground. We were advised by both the showground staff and the local water company rep to dispose of grey water either by scattering in the hedgerows or into the "french drains". The Crows and Seagulls would take care of the food residue, water will pass back into the aquifers quicker and the soil will act as a filter. Difference between that and a large campsite was once we'd packed up a left it would be several weeks before anyone else was likely to do similar. Time for mother nature to clean up.

Finally, the way some people act when on site I'm not surprised wardens get grumpy. I certainly would at some of the behaviour I've witnessed.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Everything is ok in moderation. A small amount of grey waste in a hedge will not cause an issue. Constant running of grey waste into a hedge will eventually cause anaerobic conditions which will lead to smells and saturation of the ground.

It's a complex thing. Not excusing the warden for being rude and obviously none on us on here know the state of the hedge nor the balance of what has been poured there. Also grey waste can vary. A bit of shower water without soap is a different animal to washing up water with bits of uneaten food or clothes washing waste.

I think on balance if there is a grey waste disposal then use it.

Jun 3, 2022
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Avantgarde 200
Exp
30 years
It's really not a good thing to have grey water water emptied in hedges. It contains detergents and food waste. The detergent will have a negative effect on wildlife, soil living ones like worms in particular, and the food waste will attract flies, and possibly rats - as well as stinking in warm weather.
The fertilizing effect will also have a negative impact on wildflowers, as they do not grow well in too rich soil. Add to all these problems plus the constant soaking of the ground could lead to other issues.
What's the problem with either using the built in grey waste tank and emptying down a proper facility, or just use a wheeled container to collect under the van if staying a long time, and take it to the right disposal facility, or even use the chemical waste disposal point.
So I'm with the warden on this one, it's their job to look after these places for us to enjoy, and we'd be the first to complain about flies, rats, and stink next to our pitch.

Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
Because of the cost of water in Cornwall my mother always used the washing up water for her garden plants in Summer.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I’m just at a bit of a loss as to why, if they have the appropriate grey waste disposal points, you or anybody for that matter needs to put it in the hedge? Waste water can be pretty smelly and if everyone did it at or about the same points those pitches won’t be pleasant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back