What’s Gadget John talking about ? 🥴 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Assuming we're both using the same definition of an EBL - i.e. an Electrobloc that manages the van's electrics - then the one in my Pilote certainly includes a solar controller. Maybe not a very good one....
It's possible. But most Shaudt Elekroblocks just have an input port and fuse for a solar charger. They still need an external controller between the EBL and the solar panels.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's possible. But most Shaudt Elekroblocks just have an input port and fuse for a solar charger. They still need an external controller between the EBL and the solar panels.
Some of them have a solar panel input. But it just goes straight to a solar controller plug, out to an external solar controller. The output from the solar controller comes back on the other pin of the solar controller plug. So there is no solar controller built in to the EBL.

Jul 26, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Owned AutoTrail Navajo from March 2013 until replaced with current van in 2020
What is the model number of the EBL?
It's a Scheiber BLOC EMB* Ref 41.74000.01 V08.03.00
The wiring diagram in the manual shows a "box" labelled Solar Regulator. Actually I've replaced so many things that the Bloc used to do that the solar controller is about its only remaining function :)

* EMB = Energy Management Box

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's a Scheiber BLOC EMB* Ref 41.74000.01 V08.03.00
I'm sure the comment about no internal solar controller was concerning Schaudt Electroblocks, which have an EBL number such as EBL 101. But the words Electroblock and EBL seem to be increasingly used to refer to any brand of central distribution/fusebox for the 12V electrics, so that's where the confusion arises, I think.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I think it is better if the terms EBL and Elektrobloc are used only for the Schaudt (now Lippert) products that carry the name. The EBL set up is different from other 12V distribution systems such as the CBE DS. People who are looking for advice should be encouraged to give more detailed information about their systems not less. Misleading generalisations could lead to expensive mistakes. A solar panel connected directly to an EBL without a solar controller in the mistaken belief that it will control the voltage might end up cooking the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back