We are wandering again in Spain and Portugal (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I m intrigued by the bird spotting app.

Could I ask you to elaborate a bit. I m useless with birds (so the wife thinks) but love a bit of geek time.
I use the Collins Bird Guide and we have the Europe version. It allows you to enter things like size, plumage, bill etc. in a search. It also gives the birdā€™s song and geographic distribution. There is a written description too with aspects to help with identification. Think it was quite expensive for an app.

The birds are grouped in to things likes waders, raptors, gulls and so on. I also like the ability to maintain multiple lists of the birds you have seen.

Wow that makes sound a real nerd, though to be honest it has always interested me. Not something I admitted very often in my punk rock days!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I use the Collins Bird Guide and we have the Europe version. It allows you to enter things like size, plumage, bill etc. in a search. It also gives the birdā€™s song and geographic distribution. There is a written description too with aspects to help with identification. Think it was quite expensive for an app.

The birds are grouped in to things likes waders, raptors, gulls and so on. I also like the ability to maintain multiple lists of the birds you have seen.

Wow that makes sound a real nerd, though to be honest it has always interested me. Not something I admitted very often in my punk rock days!
I think you, or someone else, has mentioned this before.

I need to get my geek into this bird identification thing.

If it flaps it's wings it's not a bird if prey is our knowledge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Sep 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
RV
We docked in Santander to light misty rain. A word of warning customs were randomly selecting and pulling over motorhomes. They had two large green wheelie bins and were throwing food into them, I assume after a fridge and cupboard search. Fortunately we were not selected, although all we had were two apples! I've never seen this happening before.

We decided to stop at a small Lupo supermarket we have used before near Santilana del Mar and were pleasantly surprised but both quality and price. Also for my lactose intolerance, lots of different milks 'sin lactosa'. We bought a couple assuming it might be harder to get in Portugal. Then we headed south up through the hills onto the plateau where the rain had stopped but there was still a lot of cloud with the odd burst of sunshine. The aire in Palencia we had planned on stopping at was full and did not really look our thing, so we decided to press on to another one not far away in Ampudia.

View attachment 948571

We were so glad we headed here the free aire is very good, with free services too. It is next to a small bullring and behind some trees is the most amazing castle from the C15th, no more than 200 yards away. The town is fabulous too and very old, with walkways covered by the first floor of all the buildings. It is a lovely town and not at all touristy. A great find and well worth visiting.

We decided not to eat out as we are both tired, instead we will get some bread and coffee tomorrow so that we put some money back into the town. Plus we need diesel .

View attachment 948572View attachment 948573View attachment 948574

The clouds are rolling away leaving a starry night. I stepped out of the van to get a night picture of the castle.

View attachment 948575
We visited Ampudia a few years ago, not really intentionally. Just right area for a stop over. We loved it. Had a great tour of the castle with Theresa, local guide, who went above and beyond to look after us and introduce us to villagers in the social centrešŸ˜Š

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Not much to report today. The day began with beautiful blue skies and ended the same, the bit in the middle was cloudy. We caught the ferry back to Ilha Tavira at lunch time and went for a sardines meal as we haven't had one yet this trip.

tempImageHleXly.jpg

Who remembers this wine, usually with a candle in the bottle, or sometimes a lampshade? I had forgotten how sweet it is, more like an alcopop.

tempImageQ2nutS.jpg

We had another swim in the sea and did a bit of lying in the sun, then caught the ferry back.

tempImagevKToEU.jpg
tempImageco6IjV.jpg

We will be moving on tomorrow, maybe a town to explore. Wherever we go it won't be far, so somewhere in the Algarve.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We visited Ampudia a few years ago, not really intentionally. Just right area for a stop over. We loved it. Had a great tour of the castle with Theresa, local guide, who went above and beyond to look after us and introduce us to villagers in the social centrešŸ˜Š
We would have liked a tour of the castle it looked fabulous, but it was only open for two hours a day, and we were on the road. Maybe next time, I'm sure we will go back.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Who remembers this wine, usually with a candle in the bottle, or sometimes a lampshade? I had forgotten how sweet it is, more like an alcopop.
A few years ago with my mate in Portugal in a restaurant he noticed it and had to get a bottle. Oh boy was it disgusting all four of us had a taste and instantly ordered a bottle of drinkable wine. šŸ¤£

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
A few years ago with my mate in Portugal in a restaurant he noticed it and had to get a bottle. Oh boy was it disgusting all four of us had a taste and instantly ordered a bottle of drinkable wine. šŸ¤£
Pretty much our reaction, except my financial supervisor would not allow it to be thrown away and replaced with another. Palpitations of the wallet and all that. šŸ˜‚

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back