• Total voters
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I do not believe the Pothole warning announcements are real, as in actually spotting a pot hole, but just randomly repeat on a timed basis to keep you aware of such potential hazards.
My announcement has gone off several times around our area in places where there are no potholes.
I don't think that's right. Last week I noticed a large pothole when I was driving. On my return journey, I opened Waze and got an alert about 100 metres before the pothole. Also, I've just opened Waze and looked at my local area and most of the large potholes I'm aware of are shown on the map.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Why doesn't it display speed , mine does.
No idea but it is not on my iPhone/iPad options. I only get speed limit not vehicle speed, perhaps the Andrex options are different (I meant Android but liked my original mistake 😀).

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
I only noticed the pothole warning on Waze yesterday driving to Nantwich.
Thought i would check the accuracy, 7 out of 10 it warned me about WERE there, the other 3 i hit the NOT THERE (or eqiv)
The pot holes are user reported i think. So rely on users to put thrn in the right place, others to confirm they're stikk there and/or clear the alert down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Can’t understand why there is a worry about tracking where you go, they don’t know who you are. Also most modern cars with the eCall emergency button track the car anyway. I can look back over every journey on the app and even see the economy data. Manufacturers can analyse how the car is driven if necessary. There was an ”issue” on a Toyota forum of a suggested fault but the data when analysed showed that the driver was trying to use the ”clutch” in an automatic and effectively trying an emergency stop while also pressing the accelerator. What was particularly interesting was the manufacturer data which showed an incredible amount of detail, not surprising was the drive mode but also showed the steering angle being applied amongst other things.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Call me naive, but i don't really see how that could be used to my detriment.

NAIVE
Firstly there is no such thing as a free lunch, big tech firms and websites track your behaviour. By all means give all your details away we are sleep walking in to a distopia and I don’t mean this from a conspiracy theory

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Firstly there is no such thing as a free lunch, big tech firms and websites track your behaviour. By all means give all your details away we are sleep walking in to a distopia and I don’t mean this from a conspiracy theory
No one would dispute that.. not me anyway, but not using Waze or Google Maps won't change that one iota ..

the privacy horse bolted years ago and we left the gate open.. 🎠

The reasons you can't be anonymous anymore

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Not my experience. It may depend on how good the satellite and mobile signals are and possibly where the device is positioned. It may also depend on the device being able to process the data quickly enough. Most of the time I find the speed warning sound is pretty much instant and do not have a time lag problem.

I'm guessing then I must always have my phone in the wrong spot and am always in a poor signal area with limited GPS...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

But that is just my experience and of course other people's may be very different. (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So why are you making it so easy for Google and Amazon for that matter and it doesn’t take a lot of effort
I didn't dispute what you said.. if you don't want to use Google products that's your prerogative ..

I've been using them for best part of two decades, so I think it's a bit late in the day to try and shut the gate..

we are now in the Brave New World of Aldous Huxley, written in 1931..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Can’t understand why there is a worry about tracking where you go, they don’t know who you are. Also most modern cars with the eCall emergency button track the car anyway. I can look back over every journey on the app and even see the economy data. Manufacturers can analyse how the car is driven if necessary. There was an ”issue” on a Toyota forum of a suggested fault but the data when analysed showed that the driver was trying to use the ”clutch” in an automatic and effectively trying an emergency stop while also pressing the accelerator. What was particularly interesting was the manufacturer data which showed an incredible amount of detail, not surprising was the drive mode but also showed the steering angle being applied amongst other things.
They know exactly who you are. Between your logins on the various services, your phone's identifiers and your phone number, there's plenty to track you and cross match with other data they hold about you.

There's large concerns about the amount of data car manufacturers are taking. Body temperature. Weight. How sleepy you're looking. The service agreements from some manufacturers are scary!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I didn't dispute what you said.. if you don't want to use Google products that's your prerogative ..

I've been using them for best part of two decades, so I think it's a bit late in the day to try and shut the gate..

we are now in the Brave New World of Aldous Huxley, written in 1931..
And your happy complete strangers have all this data and you are not taking any action to limit what that have. !

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And your happy complete strangers have all this data and you are not taking any action to limit what that have

didn't say I was happy.. but do you think you can limit it by not using Google Maps.. or indeed any Google product ?

have a butchers and tell me you don't use any ...>>

not going to happen ... horses have bolted .. and you nor I can stop the stampede..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
didn't say I was happy.. but do you think you can limit it by not using Google Maps.. or indeed any Google product ?

not going to happen ... horses have bolted .. and you nor I can stop the stampede..
The EU has forced Google to segregate their services so private data isn't shared between search, maps, Gmail, YouTube, etc. Not applied here unfortunately.

The amount of data being collected is increasing all the time. Data does go stale. So saying there's no point in starting limiting your exposure now, isn't correct.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

not going to happen ... horses have bolted .. and you nor I can stop the stampede.
What do they do with this information that is going to hurt you, ?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The EU has forced Google to segregate their services so private data isn't shared between search, maps, Gmail, YouTube, etc. Not applied here unfortunately.

The amount of data being collected is increasing all the time. Data does go stale. So saying there's no point in starting limiting your exposure now, isn't correct.

I'm not clued up on Internet security and tracking etc. to answer the questions except in a broad manner ..

however, important points have been made and noted.. but I have no more add ..

What do they do with this information that is going to hurt you, ?

target you with motorhome adds .. lol

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
They have to be reported by someone! That's how Waze works - community support.

If you complain a pothole is not on Waze, then report it !!! 🙄
If I reported every one round here in our village I would never get out as I would spend too much time updating the system!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If I reported every one round here in our village I would never get out as I would spend too much time updating the system!
Potholes are like buses, you go a long time without seeing any and then they all come together. I know two spots near us where a single Waze report of a pothole is at the start of a bad stretch.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
My Google maps shows speed cameras in navigation mode (except France where it's not allowed).
no warnings though and I find the icons where speed cameras are on waze much more accurate than googles

I only noticed the pothole warning on Waze yesterday driving to Nantwich.
Thought i would check the accuracy, 7 out of 10 it warned me about WERE there, the other 3 i hit the NOT THERE (or eqiv)

They have to be reported by someone! That's how Waze works - community support.

If you complain a pothole is not on Waze, then report it !!! 🙄

Yes, and if it's not there cause it's been repaired (highly unlikely) hit the not there button
Exactly.

And your happy complete strangers have all this data and you are not taking any action to limit what that have. !
I don't care about cookies and companies knowing every time evacuate my bowels etc, where I am what im doing. Im neither paranoid nor give an f :)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don't care about cookies and companies knowing every time evacuate my bowels etc, where I am what im doing. Im neither paranoid nor give an f :)
Could you send me your Name, Address, DOB, what school you went to bank sort code bank account password, any health issues etc etc

No, I thought not which is why we should all be a little careful of What When How and Who we share this stuff with and acknowledge it can all be collected. A little paranoia may not be a bad thing ;)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Could you send me your Name, Address, DOB, what school you went to bank sort code bank account password, any health issues etc etc

No, I thought not which is why we should all be a little careful of What When How and Who we share this stuff with and acknowledge it can all be collected. A little paranoia may not be a bad thing ;)
Sorry, you think that Waze has my dob, school history, bank details including password and my health records? Im fine with a little paranoia but not a bucketful :ROFLMAO:

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
I just don't see how anyone could use info that i drive to the office regularly 3 times a week to my detriment. I may get more targeted ads or something, but I think its a lot less than info than most put on their social media. I'm really not bothered, i have nothing to hide. And sharing data of a car journey is very different to sharing my bank account details with a stranger!!!!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sorry, you think that Waze has my dob, school history, bank details including password and my health records? Im fine with a little paranoia but not a bucketful :ROFLMAO:
it’s a Google product the data set will link to your other data sets Google hold on you.

“. It was noted that though initially the data the apps were sharing was all anonymous, more specific identifying details were possible, if people agreed to being monitored through their smartphones if they saw benefits for them.“

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I just don't see how anyone could use info that i drive to the office regularly 3 times a week to my detriment. I may get more targeted ads or something, but I think its a lot less than info than most put on their social media. I'm really not bothered, i have nothing to hide. And sharing data of a car journey is very different to sharing my bank account details with a stranger!!!!
Would you give me information about every journey you have along with all the data collected by Google. ‘Nothing to hide’ is not the same as privacy. So if you wouldn’t give me your data why would you be happy for Google to hold it?

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
it’s a Google product the data set will link to your other data sets Google hold on you.

“. It was noted that though initially the data the apps were sharing was all anonymous, more specific identifying details were possible, if people agreed to being monitored through their smartphones if they saw benefits for them.“

Google don't have my bank passwords, credit card security code, sort codes or health records though, so again, not an issue.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Would you give me information about every journey you have along with all the data collected by Google. ‘Nothing to hide’ is not the same as privacy. So if you wouldn’t give me your data why would you be happy for Google to hold it?

Set out in great detail what you intend to do with that information and what you will use it for (like Google do) and I might do.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Come on be realistic, suppose Google collect data from all their users, what 100 million?

Why would they single you out?.. and what would they do with the data collected that couldn't be found rummaging through your refuse?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back