• Total voters
Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Can you plot goole map routes on a PC and then download them?
Yes you can or on a tablet or another device. The easiest way is to use the same Google account on the devices. This makes sharing easier.
Google maps can create a unique link for the journeys you have planned. Way points can be added to force a specific route or add a stop on route. You can then share the planned route or save the link it creates.
I often plan our next day's route whilst away on my tablet as it has a 10 inch screen. I then 'share' the route to Google Keep Notes. I can then open Keep Notes on my phone (which I use to attach to the Uconnect head unit via Android Auto Auto) and click the link.

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
We always go with Waze, love the audible alert if you're speeding (moi? Non, non...) and further warning of a speed camera coming up. Must've saved me a fortune!!!

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Waze can be very dangerous if not used with plenty of common sense. It will always want to take you down very narrow lanes or through residential estates to save one or two minutes driving time. The app is very handy for warnings on traffic queues, potholes, broken down vehicles and police. I use a mix of Google and Waze in areas I am not familiar with.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I’ve been using Waze for a few years on bike, car and motorhome. I prefer it to Google maps as I can’t get the volume high enough to hear instructions when wearing my Bluetooth crash helmet. All devices are capable of occasionally giving you a bum steer, to theoretically save time. However with frequent use, you learn to ignore any turning that doesn’t feel right, Waze instantly re routes anyway.
Today I was delivering and collecting from hospitals in central and south London. The horrendous weather made for a very congested London. Waze re routed me out of the queues to the backstreets where progress could be made, just a brilliant and bang up to date navigation tool.

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Whilst I've answered in the survey, Google maps.
What I actually do is look for my destination on Google maps and look at the street view, to confirm its where I really need to be.
I then find the same point on the 'what three words app' and save it to my favourites.
When I'm ready to go, I send the coordinates from w3w to my Garmin sat.
Converluted I know but it works for me 😳

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Was using Waze in France on a sweeping right hand bend on a French motorway when it flagged up a broken down vehicle, spotted that it was a tanker and signalled then moved out - immediate French car behind me flashing its lights; passed the van and the car driver apologised. Only time a French driver has done anything like that. Tend to use Maps by punching through from CamperContact etc but have Waze running as well, on alerts only although will use if stuck in traffic jam.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It does but there is a very definite lag between you going over the limit and it alerting you. Certainly long enough for a camera van to snap you over the limit before you can react and slow down.
Not my experience. It may depend on how good the satellite and mobile signals are and possibly where the device is positioned. It may also depend on the device being able to process the data quickly enough. Most of the time I find the speed warning sound is pretty much instant and do not have a time lag problem.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I do not and won’t use Google or Waz maps they all store your data and use it for their purposes. If intelligence services were to place a tracking device in your vehicle you would be outraged and yet so many let these American companies do just that.

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
I do not and won’t use Google or Waz maps they all store your data and use it for their purposes. If intelligence services were to place a tracking device in your vehicle you would be outraged and yet so many let these American companies do just that.
Call me naive, but i don't really see how that could be used to my detriment.

NAIVE

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
fair enough.. but doesn't worry me, nothing to hide, nothing to fear, xxxmillions of people use Google Maps and or Waze

in any case, if you have a smart phone, even switched off, it's tracking you .. as are ANPR cameras and street CCTV

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing that seems to be evident in this thread is that a lot of people don't use Google maps to the best that they can, it does loads of things besides being a sat nav, if you go into settings or preferences there is all sorts of things you can make it do, a lot of which are what some are saying Waze does that Google doesn't but if you really delve into it you will find most of them are there.
The only important thing that Google lacks is the ability to put in your measurements.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Thoughts From an Expert​

Google Maps and Waze are among the most popular navigation apps in the world for a reason.

They both offer a great user experience and excellent features. But, which one is the better fit for you? Well, that depends on your priorities and needs.>>>>>

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There is a NPR camera on the A29 which I pass when I leave home. The Government knows where I am, Google knows where I am, EE mobile knows where I am, even I know where I am most of the time. The only one who cares where I am is me and perhaps my wife.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Have used Waze with Android Auto but found it too busy and it often sent me down roads that were inappropriate.

I now use Sygic all the time on Android Auto and find it great with much clearer mapping. I'm also waiting for Sygic Truck to be put on Android Auto, as it has the same great mapping but you will additionally be able to put vehicle dimensions in.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The only important thing that Google lacks is the ability to put in your measurements.
It also doesn’t display vehicle speed and give speed warnings. Waze doesn’t take vehicle measurements either. Those apps that do take vehicle measurements only avoid roads with official width and height limits, they can still send you down narrow and difficult roads. However I agree it would be helpful if both apps did this.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have put my vote on Waze but we use both. When using Waze my wife will keep an eye on Google to see if it has picked up delays the other app has missed. I also use Google for route planning. I think a “both” vote would be helpful.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It also doesn’t display vehicle speed and give speed warnings. Waze doesn’t take vehicle measurements either. Those apps that do take vehicle measurements only avoid roads with official width and height limits, they can still send you down narrow and difficult roads. However I agree it would be helpful if both apps did this.
Why doesn't it display speed , mine does.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
One thing that seems to be evident in this thread is that a lot of people don't use Google maps to the best that they can, it does loads of things besides being a sat nav, if you go into settings or preferences there is all sorts of things you can make it do, a lot of which are what some are saying Waze does that Google doesn't but if you really delve into it you will find most of them are there.
and speed camera warnings.
The only thing that Google maps is better at is the "search along route" option, I use this when looking for somewhere to eat on the way or petrol stations the odd time I need fuel on the way somewhere.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Call me naive, but i don't really see how that could be used to my detriment.

NAIVE
They know where you live. They know which shops you travel to. They know who your friends and family are. They know where you go on holiday. All of which are used to shove targeted advertising at you.

Or it leaks and the information is used to get you with a really convincing personalised phish... which will become increasingly easy as AI can trawl through the info far quicker than a human.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
like Google maps, but also have the Waze App which I occasionally use. I like the pothole warning feature.
I do not believe the Pothole warning announcements are real, as in actually spotting a pot hole, but just randomly repeat on a timed basis to keep you aware of such potential hazards.
My announcement has gone off several times around our area in places where there are no potholes.

Last edited:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I tried to use it this week as my satnav crashed on me and was told to try Waze but it wasnt helping and had no time to try in earnest as heavy traffic and needed it now situation , so went back to Google maps on my phone

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I do not believe the Pothole warning announcements are real, as in actually spotting a pot hole, but just randomly repeat on a timed basis to keep you aware of such potential hazards.
My announcement has gone off several times around our area in places where there are no potholes.
I only noticed the pothole warning on Waze yesterday driving to Nantwich.
Thought i would check the accuracy, 7 out of 10 it warned me about WERE there, the other 3 i hit the NOT THERE (or eqiv)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back