Water filler cap conundrum

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
2 lugs have broken on my water filler cap, I got a replacement off eBay without a locking barrel as I wanted to switch my existing one in. Now I’ve found the internals are different. The old one has 2 large recesses and the new one 4 smaller recesses. So the bit you press in on the lock barrel is too wide, so it doesn’t fit. The eBay supplier says this is all they have. I thought I had a Zadi barrel, but maybe not. Does anyone know what cap I need. I don’t want an extra key. Ta very much.

Old cap
IMG_7956.jpeg

New cap
IMG_7957.jpeg

OP
OP
Barryh
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks Janine but I can use the new non locking cap for the time being as it fits perfectly well in the hole, it’s just the lock bit that’s the problem.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Can you not swap the bit with the lugs on?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
There are different barrel fittings. I contacted Brownhills (they have a store on eBay) and they helped me get the right one.

Mine was this one eBay (not Zadi) but yours could be different depending on the year.

OP
OP
Barryh
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Can you not swap the bit with the lugs on?
Thanks. The lugs are broken on the original cap. I’m trying to get the old lock into the new cap with lugs.
Does it need to be locked, ours never is.
No it doesn’t have to be, it’s just a bit of security against someone nicking it or worse putting something unpleasant into the water.

OP
OP
Barryh
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
There are different barrel fittings. I contacted Brownhills (they have a store on eBay) and they helped me get the right one.

Mine was this one eBay (not Zadi) but yours could be different depending on the year.
Thanks very much for that. I maybe should have said it’s for a Hymer, I’ll see if this is the same. Of course it’s twice the price of the eBay one.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I changed mine to a different key locking one after pulling up at a garage and just as I was about to pull the diesel trigger noticed I’d put the nozzle in the water inlet!!! (One key unlocked all external locks !) I’ll hopefully never make that mistake again 🫣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
StillGoing I have ordered from Brownhills. Thanks to all for your help.
I found the barrel was quite tight to get in the cap but, once in, the cap has been great. It seems sturdier than the previous one we had.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
2 lugs have broken on my water filler cap, I got a replacement off eBay without a locking barrel as I wanted to switch my existing one in. Now I’ve found the internals are different. The old one has 2 large recesses and the new one 4 smaller recesses. So the bit you press in on the lock barrel is too wide, so it doesn’t fit. The eBay supplier says this is all they have. I thought I had a Zadi barrel, but maybe not. Does anyone know what cap I need. I don’t want an extra key. Ta very much.

Old cap
View attachment 959875

New capView attachment 959876
I have just repaired a broken lug on our diesel filler cap using the same method as I did for the water filter cap on our last MH. As follows.
Find a round piece of rigid plastic at 4mm or 5mm thick. Mine was a scrap off a valve. Drill a 2mm pilot hole through the cap from the outside rim to come out on the inside where the missing lug was. Widen it out with progressively larger drill bits, trying the rigid plastic each time until it will go in at a tight fit. Put a small amount of a plastic pipe type adhesive into the hole and push the rigid plastic through until it reaches the same length inside as the remaining lugs. Trim off the excess on the outside and you are done. I can send you a picture next time I am up at the storage. If you are struggling to fine some rigid plastic, PM me and I will post you the bit I have left.
Good luck.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I have just repaired a broken lug on our diesel filler cap using the same method as I did for the water filter cap on our last MH. As follows.
Find a round piece of rigid plastic at 4mm or 5mm thick. Mine was a scrap off a valve. Drill a 2mm pilot hole through the cap from the outside rim to come out on the inside where the missing lug was. Widen it out with progressively larger drill bits, trying the rigid plastic each time until it will go in at a tight fit. Put a small amount of a plastic pipe type adhesive into the hole and push the rigid plastic through until it reaches the same length inside as the remaining lugs. Trim off the excess on the outside and you are done. I can send you a picture next time I am up at the storage. If you are struggling to fine some rigid plastic, PM me and I will post you the bit I have left.
Good luck.
Photos definitely required please!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

Attachments

• 20241004_110601.jpg
    20241004_110601.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20241004_110556.jpg
    20241004_110556.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 22
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We have one key which unlocks all the habitation area locks.

Read my post no10 ,one mistake will cost you a small fortune! That’s why I changed to a different key for water.

Adria must be ahead of the game then - at least as far as the Compact models are concerned! Our ‘habitation’ key does that end of the moho - hab door, garage doors both sides, gas locker, cassette door, as well as the water filler cap. The Fiat ignition key unlocks the front end, including the fuel filler cap, so no chance of mistakes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Adria must be ahead of the game then - at least as far as the Compact models are concerned! Our ‘habitation’ key does that end of the moho - hab door, garage doors both sides, gas locker, cassette door, as well as the water filler cap. The Fiat ignition key unlocks the front end, including the fuel filler cap, so no chance of mistakes.
Same on my Hymer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504 2014
Exp
Too long
I had the same problem, the cap had been forced at some stage and wouldn’t lock. Hymer use the HSC barrel/key type locks. Having ordered one which was wrong I found this is the correct type for the HSC locks.

IMG_0332.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sadly not I had to try a couple before I found the right one.
Sorry I meant as in the post I was replying to that the vehicle key does the front half of the MH including the fuel filler and the hab key the back hab door toilet and water. I thought that would be the case on all coachbuilts with a vehicle manufacturers cab.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Sorry I meant as in the post I was replying to that the vehicle key does the front half of the MH including the fuel filler and the hab key the back hab door toilet and water. I thought that would be the case on all coachbuilts with a vehicle manufacturers cab.
Ah I see ,that was the case with my van and from my post above you can see why I was keen to replace the water inlet lock😵‍💫 I then had to change the diesel cap as I broke one of the lugs(stupid design) ,when I priced up an OM replacement it came to £££ which is why I installed the lock above ,much much better👍(about £25)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back