Water boiling, when you have an inverter (5 Viewers)

How do you boil water ?

• Electric kettle (<2kw)

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Whistling kettle on induction hob (<2kw)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Gas

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Ah ok. I don't drink tea, use an expresso machine for coffee and roast vegetables so no need to boil water.

Its pretty much the same - an espresso machine virtually boils water.

šŸ˜²
Really?
Good grief! What a faff. I really CBA'd with that.

No faff putting spare/extra water in a flask. only takes 10 seconds.

Life is too short for 900w kettles. We bought this one. Holds just 1L, (perfect) It's 2000w, boils fast, It has a wide base so is very stable for those brews made on the floor at 70mph on the motorway.

Is that while you have cruise control engaged? ;)

Storing Warm water is OK for washing up, but the water for my Yorkshire Gold needs to be freshly drawn and boiled just the once. :D

Just pour it into your 2000W kettle - the tea will arrive even quicker then.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I posted:
use of an infrared temperature gun can identify any developing issues.
You responded with a litany of fabricated statements, for example:

But as you seem to suggest that you "regularly scan all YOUR vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun"
No, nowhere have I suggested that that I regularly scan ALL of my vehicleā€™s wiring. I refer you to my original quote repeated above for you.

it is hardly expedient of you imply or suggest it's a commonplace event
Again, there is nothing in my quoted text that supports that assertion.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

It is & was @bigtwin that raised the idea and effectively implying that everybody should be doing it as a matter of course
What! Now youā€™re fabricating even more nonsense; where is there even the remotest suggestion of this? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I was the one arguing that it is extremely rare and NOT common practice for people to "regularly scan all their vehicle's wiring with an 'infrared temperature gun' in case of developing issues" as per @bigtwin 's posts.
Again, this is a complete fabrication. šŸ™„

I replied to the context & phrasing of your original post
You have taken what I said completely out of context and have fabricated statements to suit your desire to have an argument.

Read the posts properly,

As I said earlier, this ā¬†ļø is good advice. Please take it.

As I have outlined above, your accusations are completely baseless and since you seem to be determined to create an argument I will not engage further with you.

Ian

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed. šŸ‘

Which bit is the best thing that youā€™ve ever done: being an electrical fitter or being an EX (retired?) electrical fitter? šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤£

Ian
Doing the CEGB apprenticeship and then getting out after about 8 years on the tools, I still use the apprentice tools every week.

I took a complete career change and went into composite manufacturing.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Doing the CEGB apprenticeship
It provides a great foundation. šŸ‘
and then getting out after about 8 years on the tools
I did the same after only about three years.
I took a complete career change and went into composite manufacturing.
My change was really an extension of my Instrument Tech training whereby I went into System Failure Analysis in support of Nuclear Licensing.

Ian

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
We have one of these in the MH. It boils the right amount to make 2 mugs of tea or coffee. I hope ours lasts because it has been discontinued.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/13661/lakeland-05l-travel-kettle-and-accessories-set

If we have to use the gas hob instead of 230v electric, we also have a cheap whistling kettle on board.
Whistling kettle for us, not quite sure what the obsession with trying to run everything off of electricity is?

We are touring around Normandy for a week on various aires and laugh our selves to sleep off folk running to get plugged in as soon as they arrive.

We don't even need to plug into EHU and have just a small inverter and a solar panel on the roof charging a couple of dirty big AGM batteries.

Everyone to their own I guess.

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
It provides a great foundation. šŸ‘

I did the same after only about three years.

My change was really an extension of my Instrument Tech training whereby I went into System Failure Analysis in support of Nuclear Licensing.

Ian
I liked the EMD side of things with the combination of mechanical and electrical.

I cannot remember what that low resistance measuring equipment was called but it had a fairly large rechargeable battery and each probe had two spikes on them, one set of spikes ran a current through the joint being tested and the other spikes measured the voltage drop across the tested joint.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Whistling kettle for us, not quite sure what the obsession with trying to run everything off of electricity is?
Because we can, not much point in fitting thousands of pounds worth of electrics if you are not going to use it.
We are touring around Normandy for a week on various aires and laugh to sleep off folk running to get plugged in as soon as they arrive.
Did about 130 nights away last year don't think I plugged into EHU once.

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
( TO @bigtwin ) ..... But as you seem to suggest that you "regularly scan all YOUR vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues" ..... It would appear to me that you are perhaps the ONLY (or perhaps one of the very few) of the more than 100,000 Members of MotorhomeFun who MAY do so, so it is hardly expedient of you imply or suggest it's a commonplace event, and you appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

bigtwin 's most recent reply to THAT post (Above Post quoted in FULL as opposed to bigtwin 's modified/cut-down version)
Did I ; where?

Ian

HERE, in reply to my post >>>

PS ... In over 50 odd years, I have NEVER met another motorhome or campervan owner yet that regularly scans all their vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues as per your post.

YOUR reply ===
We havenā€™t met. šŸ˜Ž

Ian

That certainly puts the lie to your claims that you never said or implied any such thing amongst your (perhaps mis-typed) posts.

However, as a final point ... Both Jim and myself (and perhaps other members too) are STILL waiting with baited breath for your answers to Jim 's questions >>>

So, given that most of us are not electricians, or electrical hobbyists. Why should we temperature scan our wiring? Where should we scan? There is a lot of it, how do we get to it all? When should we scan. How often should we scan? What are we actually looking for? What heat is normal, what should we be worried about. Do we turn everything on, use it, and then take the temperature?

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
bigtwin 's most recent reply to THAT post (Above Post quoted in FULL as opposed to bigtwin 's modified/cut-down version)

HERE, in reply to my post >>>

YOUR reply ===

That certainly puts the lie to your claims that you never said or implied any such thing amongst your (perhaps mis-typed) posts.

However, as a final point ... Both Jim and myself (and perhaps other members too) are STILL waiting with baited breath for your answers to Jim 's questions >>>
If there's no smoke, there's no fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Both @Jim and myself (and perhaps other members too) are STILL waiting with baited breath for your answers to @Jim 's questions >>>

Iā€™m NOT waiting with bated breather at all. So itā€™s just you. Italics bold and underlined

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Iā€™m NOT waiting with bated breather at all. So itā€™s just you. Italics bold and underlined

My apologies then, Jim ..... As you were the person who was so keen to ask me those questions when you wrongly thought I had posted bigtwin 's misleading posts, I assumed you would be just as keen to get your below questions answered by bigtwin himself once you realised you should have directed them to bigtwin .

So, given that most of us are not electricians, or electrical hobbyists. Why should we temperature scan our wiring? Where should we scan? There is a lot of it, how do we get to it all? When should we scan. How often should we scan? What are we actually looking for? What heat is normal, what should we be worried about. Do we turn everything on, use it, and then take the temperature?

Last edited:

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Motorhomers are definitely gonna need a bigger "infrared temperature gun" when these start to hit the domestic market. ;) :LOL:

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
So why all the italics, bold, capitals then?

I assumed a dodgy keyboard, didnā€™t think you did it oN Purpose šŸ˜‰

The use of italics is normal and commonplace to indicate "directly quoted text or speech" and I believe that most reasonable English-language readers would understand that and hopefully accept it without resorting to trick or sarcastic post-responses.

My use (perhaps sometimes over-use) of bolding and/or underlining is sometimes considered to be wise or necessary to emphasize specific key words or phrases that sometimes appear to have either been missed, misread, or overlooked by readers or responders (often from earlier posts) ... It is not an overly rare technique, such as for example, to correct Jim 's confusion & conflation of bigtwin 's posts or statements with my own ..... Also for a further example, you will note that Jim used exactly the same technique in his post & questions here (= https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...when-you-have-an-inverter.309182/post-6296989) which should have been aimed at bigtwin instead of myself.

I openly accept and admit that my 'wordsmithing style' can be sometimes be considered over-emphatic or o.t.t. to others, and if that is so to some forum members here, I apologise .... But it is a somewhat unorthodox style that I've developed over the decades and which has served me well in getting my points across in debates and/or cases. :devil:

That's my excuse for my wordsmithing style ..... What's your excuse for your overly sarcastic "dodgy keyboard" BS and post-response here :banghead: >>>

See your keypad is still playing up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back