Water boiling, when you have an inverter (3 Viewers)

How do you boil water ?

• Electric kettle (<2kw)

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Whistling kettle on induction hob (<2kw)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Gas

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
View attachment 946570

And then you see cables like this Ian and think :unsure: OK
I know that it’s ok but my mind is always kind of, wow when you think of/see 300A being drawn.

Which are just crazy IMO, wait until there are some high resistance joints building up in some of these installations !!

It’s not crazy when the systems are designed/maintained properly; there are installations all over the world drawing way more than our vans will pull.

In terms of high resistance joints, as well as ensuring that recommended practices are followed (correct mating procedures and tightening torques), use of an infrared temperature gun can identify any developing issues.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our small camping kettle is 700 -800w
On my battery app it draws 85 amps peak
Your kettle must be bigger than 800 watts as 800 watts at 12.8v (used 12.8 as that is generally on load voltage of Lithium) + 10% for inverter efficency comes to 68 amps.
Our 800 watt kettle in practice draws 67 amps.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lithium is the game changer

I have dumped the Webber Q200 gas BBQ, for the Ninja Woodfire grill, as it cooks steak better, is smokey , and has a load of other functions, including air frying

A whole chicken in an hour, tasty, smokey, crispy, even better with a Tex Mex rub

We use so little gas now 👍🏻

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
Lithium is the game changer

I have dumped the Webber Q200 gas BBQ, for the Ninja Woodfire grill, as it cooks steak better, is smokey , and has a load of other functions, including air frying

A whole chicken in an hour, tasty, smokey, crispy, even better with a Tex Mex rub

We use so little gas now 👍🏻
It is off topic, but how good are those woodfire grills, they seem to cook everything perfectly and to be able to smoke cuts of meat is a bonus. We absolutely love ours. 😎👌

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
It’s not crazy when the systems are designed/maintained properly; there are installations all over the world drawing way more than our vans will pull.

In terms of high resistance joints, as well as ensuring that recommended practices are followed (correct mating procedures and tightening torques), use of an infrared temperature gun can identify any developing issues.
That is a very optimistic view, this kind of equipment will not get ongoing maintenance or inspections and there are quite a few bodgers fitting kit into motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
I know that it’s ok but my mind is always kind of, wow when you think of/see 300A being drawn.

In terms of high resistance joints
, as well as ensuring that recommended practices are followed (correct mating procedures and tightening torques), use of an infrared temperature gun can identify any developing issues.

Ian

..... AND most of those systems are professionally installed at (usually exhorbitant) professional prices & are (usually) maintained irrespective of the operational costs !

As compared to most camper-van and motorhome installations which are often designed, installed, and (supposedly) maintained by enthusiastic amateurs or non-expert semi-professionals at the lowest acceptable cost to the vehicle-owner.

Comparing Professional-Cost "Apples" with Self-Build/Self-Install "Oranges" IS a misleading & meaningless waste of time, and I prefer to deal with the world and give my views or advice based on reality and practical experience ..... NOT on an "idealised fantasy" basis.
People are perfectly free to take note of or consider my posts OR ignore them as they see fit ..... YMMV.

If "nuclear cold fusion" units (OR other "upgraded future technology") ever become available for the home market or for the better off self-installer with deep pockets, I would still tend to listen to my gut and avoid parking within easy fire or explosion range of those vehicles whenever possible.

PS .... In over 50 odd years, I have NEVER met another motorhome or campervan owner yet that regularly scans all their vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues as per your post.

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
..... AND most of those systems are professionally installed at (usually exhorbitant) professional prices & are (usually) maintained irrespective of the operational costs !

As compared to most camper-van and motorhome installations which are often designed, installed, and (supposedly) maintained by enthusiastic amateurs or non-expert semi-professionals at the lowest acceptable cost to the vehicle-owner.

Comparing Professional-Cost "Apples" with Self-Build/Self-Install "Oranges" IS a misleading & meaningless waste of time, and I prefer to deal with the world and give my views or advice based on reality and practical experience ..... NOT on an "idealised fantasy" basis.
People are perfectly free to take note of or consider my posts OR ignore them as they see fit ..... YMMV.

If "nuclear cold fusion" units (OR other "upgraded future technology") ever become available for the home market or for the better off self-installer with deep pockets, I would still tend to listen to my gut and avoid parking within easy fire or explosion range of those vehicles whenever possible.

PS .... In over 50 odd years, I have NEVER met another motorhome or campervan owner yet that regularly scans all their verhicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues as per your post.
Wise words.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
That is a very optimistic view, this kind of equipment will not get ongoing maintenance or inspections
I added that statement just to be complete and with the knowledge that, in reality, they don’t really require maintenance as such.

and there are quite a few bodgers fitting kit into motorhomes.
Undoubtedly there are (possibly more-so in the ‘van-life’ community) but my response to you was simply pointing out that having high current systems isn’t crazy if they are designed and installed properly. Any system that isn’t designed/installed properly is vulnerable to failure; you can’t legislate for those.

As compared to most camper-van and motorhome installations which are often designed, installed, and (supposedly) maintained by enthusiastic amateurs or non-expert semi-professionals
As above.

Comparing Professional-Cost "Apples" with Self-Build/Self-Install "Oranges" IS a misleading & meaningless waste of time,
I wasn’t endeavouring to compare standards between professional systems and self-builds, I was pointing out that high current installations are not ‘crazy’.

PS .... In over 50 odd years, I have NEVER met another motorhome or campervan owner yet that regularly scans all their vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun"

We haven’t met. 😎

Ian

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
PS .... In over 50 odd years, I have NEVER met another motorhome or campervan owner yet that regularly scans all their vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues as per your post.

We haven’t met. 😎

Ian

No, You & I haven't met ..... But as you seem to suggest that you "regularly scan all YOUR vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues" ..... It would appear to me that you are perhaps the ONLY (or perhaps one of the very few) of the more than 100,000 Members of MotorhomeFun who MAY do so, so it is hardly expedient of you imply or suggest it's a commonplace event, and you appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

Likewise, I've never come across a Motorhome/Camper Dealer that states & confirms that they carry out such a check whenever they do a "Habitation Check / Service"

I'm always keen to learn, so I'd be very interested to read posts from any other MotorhomeFun Members that regularly do such an " 'infrared temperature gun' in case of developing issues" with their vehicles.

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Is that before, during or after your 10 minute wait for a cuppa?
Something of a non-sensical reply, Jim, as the post of mine which you quoted has nothing to do with a "cuppa".
Read the posts properly, please Jim ..... I already said in my earlier post that I have to wait about 7 minutes for a DOUBLE mug, NOT 10 minutes as you now suggest.

Why use a whopping 750w This is only 135w takes just 25 minutes and must be so much better for your batteries. :LOL:
View attachment 946558
Also, I diplomatically declined to post & point out the "One or Two Small Flaws in your earlier cunning plan, Baldjim" as you said earlier, but seeing as you asked so politely & non-sarcastically >>>>

A) >>> Your Recommended device will only boil ONE cupful at a time, so you would need ONE of them for EACH person that wants a cuppa which would multiply your power consumption radically.

B) >>> Based upon your statement that you like to boil your water on the floor of your motorhome whilst travelling at 70mph on the Motorway, I hate to think of the carnage & mass pile-ups that might ensue when your boiling open cups of water topple over and scald you & your passengers (and also possibly short out your Ultra-High Amperage cables & system). ;) :LOL:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No, You & I haven't met ..... But as you seem to suggest that you "regularly scan all YOUR vehicle's wiring with an "infrared temperature gun" in case of developing issues" ..... It would appear to me that you are perhaps the ONLY (or perhaps one of the very few) of the more than 100,000 Members of MotorhomeFun who MAY do so, so it is hardly expedient of you imply or suggest it's a commonplace event, and you appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

Likewise, I've never come across a Motorhome/Camper Dealer that states & confirms that they carry out such a check whenever they do a "Habitation Check / Service"

I'm always keen to learn, so I'd be very interested to read posts from any other MotorhomeFun Members that regularly do such an " 'infrared temperature gun' in case of developing issues" with their vehicles.

So, given that most of us are not electricians, or electrical hobbyists. Why should we temperature scan our wiring? Where should we scan? There is a lot of it, how do we get to it all? When should we scan. How often should we scan? What are we actually looking for? What heat is normal, what should we be worried about. Do we turn everything on, use it, and then take the temperature?

I can get started right away as I do own an "Infrared temperature gun" but I ONLY use it to check trailer wheels for brake sticking, and sometimes my forehead if struck down with a bit of manflu. Thanks in anticipation.

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
So, given that most of us are not electricians, or electrical hobbyists. Why should we temperature scan our wiring? Where should we scan? There is a lot of it, how do we get to it all? When should we scan. How often should we scan? What are we actually looking for? What heat is normal, what should we be worried about. Do we turn everything on, use it, and then take the temperature?

I can get started right away as I do own an "Infrared temperature gun" but I ONLY use it to check trailer wheels for brake sticking, and sometimes my forehead if struck down with a bit of manflu. Thanks in anticipation.
You appear to be getting the wrong end of your stick, Jim .... and you are aiming at the WRONG target.

It is & was bigtwin that raised the idea and effectively implying that everybody should be doing it as a matter of course ..... So kindly redirect your Post AND Questions to bigtwin ....

I was the one arguing that it is extremely rare and NOT common practice for people to "regularly scan all their vehicle's wiring with an 'infrared temperature gun' in case of developing issues" as per bigtwin 's posts. .......... Like you, I would be fascinated to hear the answers to your queries from bigtwin.

Also, using an infrared temperature gun to check for "trailer wheel brake-heat" is totally irrelevant to my replies to bigtwin about vehicle WIRING, and likewise for checking your forehead (UNLESS you're a cyborg :LOL: )

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It is & was @bigtwin that raised the idea and effectively implying that everybody should be doing it as a matter of course ..... So kindly redirect your Post AND Questions to @bigtwin ....

I was the one arguing that it is extremely rare and NOT common practice for people to "regularly scan all their vehicle's wiring with an 'infrared temperature gun' in case of developing issues" as per @bigtwin 's posts. .......... Like you, I would be fascinated to hear the answers to your queries from @bigtwin.

Ah gotcha. I did misread it, I can see now that it's not your Infrared Temperature Gun, it's bigtwins. :blush:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
B) >>> Based upon your statement that you like to boil your water on the floor of your motorhome whilst travelling at 70mph on the Motorway, I hate to think of the carnage & mass pile-ups that might ensue when your boiling open cups of water topple over and scald you & your passengers (and also possibly short out your Ultra-High Amperage cables & system). ;) :LOL:
DOeSn’T EveRy BoDy MaKE tAe eN rOUtE?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
More than just the Water boiling on this thread.....let's get back on topic...it did start so well and very interesting..

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
But as you seem to suggest that you "regularly scan all YOUR vehicle's wiring
Did I; where?

it is hardly expedient of you imply or suggest it's a commonplace event,
I didn’t.

It is & was @bigtwin that raised the idea and effectively implying that everybody should be doing it as a matter of course

I did no such thing.🤷‍♂️

Read the posts properly,

That’s good advice; consider taking it.

Ian

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I am with Bobbejaan on this, high current installations will be fine if well installed and maintained.

However that condition will rarely exist in the motorhoming World.

I know about high currents, the only thing I have been trained to do is be an electrical fitter in Fawley power station, we had some rather special kit for checking for low resistance connections in cases of high current flows (at the bottom end of the ranges used in these high wattage inverter installations), I guarantee that no one uses such equipment in MH installations and the equipment was not a fancy DVM.

I hope that I am wrong but the potential is there for problems.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I am with Bobbejaan on this, high current installations will be fine if well installed and maintained.
Is that not exactly what I said in response to your assertion that it was crazy to have those currents in a MH. Quoted below for clarity:
It’s not crazy when the systems are designed/maintained properly

However that condition will rarely exist in the motorhoming World.
In self builds perhaps but a rather damning accusation against MH manufacturers as a whole.

I know about high currents, the only thing I have been trained to do is be an electrical fitter in Fawley power station,
Me too, I did my apprenticeship in a power station and subsequently worked on submarines where they have rather large battery banks.

I hope that I am wrong but the potential is there for problems.

There’s always scope for problems with electrical systems but this risk, as I asserted at the start of this little exchange, is minimal if they are designed and installed properly. 👍

Ian

Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Is that not exactly what I said in response to your assertion that it was crazy to have those currents in a MH. Quoted below for clarity:

In self builds perhaps but a rather damning accusation against MH manufacturers as a whole.

Me too, I did my apprenticeship in a power station and subsequently worked on submarines where they have rather large battery banks.

There’s always scope for problems with electrical systems but this risk, as I asserted at the start of this little exchange, is minimal if they are designed and installed properly. 👍

Ian
Ian

I think we are broadly in agreement, I just think that you have more faith in the manufacturers and installers than I do.

Best Regards

Barrie ex CEGB electrical fitter (best thing I ever done)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an infrared temperature gun but I don't use it, I prefer my home made one it's called my hand. I feel the cables & joint, slightly warm under high load is fine it's feel hot I investigate and find out why. 😊

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too

Ian
&

That is a very optimistic view, this kind of equipment will not get ongoing maintenance or inspections and there are quite a few bodgers fitting kit into motorhomes.
&

I replied to the context & phrasing of your original post above aimed at MotorhomeFun members ... Which directly compared "installations all over the world drawing way more than our vans will pull" to "use of an infrared temperature gun can identify any developing issues." and which implies that members should regularly check their vehicle wiring such a gun to "identify developing issues", and that is simply scaremongering towards newbies OR less experienced/knowledgeable members.

Finally, I am still awaiting in fascinated anticipation to your answers to Jim 's questions for you, namely >>>>>

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
&

&

I replied to the context & phrasing of your original post above aimed at MotorhomeFun members ... Which directly compared "installations all over the world drawing way more than our vans will pull" to "use of an infrared temperature gun can identify any developing issues." and which implies that members should regularly check their vehicle wiring such a gun to "identify developing issues", and that is simply scaremongering towards newbies OR less experienced/knowledgeable members.

Finally, I am still awaiting in fascinated anticipation to your answers to Jim 's questions for you, namely >>>>>
See your keypad is still playing up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back