Water boiling, when you have an inverter (18 Viewers)

How do you boil water ?

• Electric kettle (<2kw)

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Whistling kettle on induction hob (<2kw)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Gas

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We use a 700-890 w camping kettle when our batteries are full . We boil up a kettle full and save it in a flask for a brew later or even washing up
Similarly when we make a drink using the gas hob any surplus water is saved in a flask ( the type with a pourer). It's just something we do by habbit now.
You can get low wattage thermos kettles, I use one at home. 1L capacity and I think it's about 1200w. When you've finished with it you close the lid and it stays hot.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We use a 700-890 w camping kettle when our batteries are full . We boil up a kettle full and save it in a flask for a brew later or even washing up
Similarly when we make a drink using the gas hob any surplus water is saved in a flask ( the type with a pourer). It's just something we do by habbit now.
We are with you Jim. We boil kettles and store hot water in flasks when solar permits. Why waste all that electric when the batteries are full. 👍

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Question from a non electrical person, if you use a 900w kettle to boil water for 2 cups of tea. Will this use less overall energy than a 1800watt kettle, my thinking is the 900 will probably take twice as long so assuming your inverter is big enough why go for a low wattage one?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Question from a non electrical person, if you use a 900w kettle to boil water for 2 cups of tea. Will this use less overall energy than a 1800watt kettle, my thinking is the 900 will probably take twice as long so assuming your inverter is big enough why go for a low wattage one?
I think your inverter assumption is probably wrong for some (definately us). But if you could use the bigger one and its minimum allowed volume is low enough, I think it could probably use a little bit less because it will only be losing heat through the sides for half the time.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I'm guessing it's the same or maybe even a bit less. If your inverter can cope, go for the more powerful kettle. I'm always in a hurry for tea. Those 900W ones take forever.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
They will both, to all intents and purposes, use the same amount of energy to boil the same volume of water.

Lower wattage kettles have advantages IF you need to limit the current draw (e.g. on a 4A EHU supply, to stay below the inverter max power, or to stay below the BMS maximum discharge current on a LiFePO4 battery (a 2kW kettle will pull close to 200A from a battery/bank)).

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In theory it would use the same amount of power but in practice the 1800watt kettle will be larger so more metal to absorb the heat so it will use slightly more energy .

We use a small 800 watt mainly for size a 2kw one would be too large in a Motorhome for us.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have induction hob in our Apartment and a proper induction suited kettle...it's mega fast....
In the van when I've finished my upgrade I will continue to use gas hob for kettle and stainless steel coffee maker... although I will have a portable Induction hob..for other needs...

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We use a 3kw electric kettle now with this van but, we are looking around now for and induction capable kettle to use in our next van.

What size inverter do you have and does it slightly frighten you when you see how much current is being drawn?

Ian

May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I'm guessing it's the same or maybe even a bit less. If your inverter can cope, go for the more powerful kettle. I'm always in a hurry for tea. Those 900W ones take forever.
When I had my last Camper I fitted a Multiplus 12/3000/120, so could run anything upto 2400W.
I used to use the 2kW Induction Hob with my "very low quality" ( ;) ) Kettle and found that the perfect setting for making a single cup of tea was actually 400W!
I'd put the kettle on and then by the time got the Mug out, teabag out and in the mug, milk out the fridge and sugar ready, the kettle had just boiled. Perfect :)

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too

The overall amperage draw will be almost the same for BOTH from "cold to boil" ..... BUT the "Instant Inrush & Intermediate Battery Load" to the vehicle's systems from the Lower-Wattage Unit WHILST each kettle is operating will be less of a "short term shock" to whatever battery (and possibly charging) system you're using.

For example, IF the 1800w kettle draws 200Amp for 5 minutes, the 900w will only draw about 100Amp for 10 minutes, which is less taxing on both the inverter-feed cables AND on the battery bank(s) (especially lead-acid batts).

It also means the batteries potentially can get more "recharge and run support" from the vehicle's Solar whilst the kettle's operating (depending on sun-level), and/or the alternator/B2B if the engine's running.

My apologies if this explanation is not quite as clear as I would have liked to say, but I'm somewhat rough & braindead at the moment.

We use a small 750w kettle as we're never in that much of a rush, and we get exactly 3-Cups or 2-Perfect-Mugs out of it .... which suits both of us mugs "Perfectly" :LOL:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The overall amperage draw will be almost the same for BOTH from "cold to boil" ..... BUT the "Instant Inrush & Intermediate Battery Load" to the vehicle's systems from the Lower-Wattage Unit WHILST each kettle is operating will be less of a "short term shock" to whatever battery (and possibly charging) system you're using.

For example, IF the 1800w kettle draws 200Amp for 5 minutes, the 900w will only draw about 100Amp for 10 minutes, which is less taxing on both the inverter-feed cables AND on the battery bank(s) (especially lead-acid batts).

It also means the batteries potentially can get more "recharge and run support" from the vehicle's Solar whilst the kettle's operating (depending on sun-level), and/or the alternator/B2B if the engine's running.

My apologies if this explanation is not quite as clear as I would have liked to say, but I'm somewhat rough & braindead at the moment.

We use a small 750w kettle as we're never in that much of a rush, and we get exactly 3-Cups or 2-Perfect-Mugs out of it .... which suits both of us mugs "Perfectly" :LOL:

This explains it great thanks, I did think the smaller one would be less strain on the batteries.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
What size inverter do you have and does it slightly frighten you when you see how much current is being drawn?

Ian
We have a 3kw inverter and not bothered in the slightest about current draw. We do have 840ah of lithium at our disposal so that obviously helps 🤭 Is it not all relevant though as the 3kw boils really quickly as opposed to a 1kw one thats a fair bit slower ?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We have a 3kw inverter and not bothered in the slightest about current draw. We do have 840ah of lithium at our disposal so that obviously helps 🤭 Is it not all relevant though as the 3kw boils really quickly as opposed to a 1kw one thats a fair bit slower ?

I don’t doubt the capability of the inverter, or the rest of your system, but a 300A current (which your 3kW kettle will draw) is a LOT of current. It always impresses me when I see currents above 100A!

Ian

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t doubt the capability of the inverter, or the rest of your system, but a 300A current (which your 3kW kettle will draw) is a LOT of current. It always impresses me when I see currents above 100A!

Ian
TBH, I dont take any notice, I just plug in hit the switch and forget about until it boils. Not very scientific I know, but I don’t scrutinise it all. I will however have a peek next time we have a brew. 😆👍

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
But that depends upon the size of your bank. Our batteries hardly notice the kettle is on. :D

But it's not JUST about the size/capacity of your battery bank, Jim

It can aid and prolong the life of ANY battery bank of ANY size to spread a "specific heavy load" over a longer time at a lower draw-rate, especially when that load can be often repeated throughout the day (for example 100Amp for 10minutes rather that 200Amp for 5 minutes).

As I said in my OP (which your response didn't answer), spreading the load also has the advantage of (a) minimising the Voltage Drop AND Heat Creation in the Inverter Feed Cables. and (b) gives more chance for any Solar and/or B2B system to help the battery bank recover in a smoother & more life-prolonging way, and (c) potentially means you might be able to use smaller-gauge / less-expensive cables (depending on your other electrical devices & usage thereof).

IIRC, it takes about 7 minutes to boil 2-mugs worth in my 750w kettle (even at your 70mph on the motorway example ;) ) ..... We're obviously not as desperate as you to get our next caffeine fix. ;) :LOL:

The same logic also applies to low-power air-fryers / slow-cook crock pots / etc .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
....It can aid and prolong the life of ANY battery bank of ANY size.......IIRC, it takes about 7 minutes to boil 2-mugs worth in my 750w kettle (even at your 70mph on the motorway example ;) ) ...

Why use a whopping 750w This is only 135w takes just 25 minutes and must be so much better for your batteries. :LOL:
IMG_0069.jpeg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But it's not JUST about the size/capacity of your battery bank, Jim

It can aid and prolong the life of ANY battery bank of ANY size to spread a "specific heavy load" over a longer time at a lower draw-rate, especially when that load can be often repeated throughout the day (for example 100Amp for 10minutes rather that 200Amp for 5 minutes).

As I said in my OP (which your response didn't answer), spreading the load also has the advantage of (a) minimising the Voltage Drop AND Heat Creation in the Inverter Feed Cables. and (b) gives more chance for any Solar and/or B2B system to help the battery bank recover in a smoother & more life-prolonging way, and (c) potentially means you might be able to use smaller-gauge / less-expensive cables (depending on your other electrical devices & usage thereof).

IIRC, it takes about 7 minutes to boil 2-mugs worth in my 750w kettle (even at your 70mph on the motorway example ;) ) ..... We're obviously not as desperate as you to get our next caffeine fix. ;) :LOL:

The same logic also applies to low-power air-fryers / slow-cook crock pots / etc .
A: Use correctly spec’d cables of decent quality, voltage drop and heat creation is irrelevant
B: My 220amp Alternator charge’s my Lithium bank via a 120 amp Buck Boost DC -DC charger, an when it’s Sunny 550watts of solar chip in
C: Never “skimp” or cut corners with electrical installations.

My kettle

Again as with Jim’s, a nice wide base for stability for motorway brews, essential for a caffeine fix on fourteen hour dashes to the ferry

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Our small camping kettle is 700 -800w
On my battery app it draws 85 amps peak and the microwave which is 800w also draws a similar amperage ( not both on togther).from a 100ah lithium battery
I have additional lithium batteries to fit which will provide 300ah but I would not want to draw more than the 85 amps so will keep any additional appliances at less than 1000w.
I have enough proper heat sources in the van without adding more through the cables. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back