Water boiling, when you have an inverter (7 Viewers)

How do you boil water ?

• Electric kettle (<2kw)

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Whistling kettle on induction hob (<2kw)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Gas

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I've read that boiling water on a 1700w induction hob is faster and/or more efficient than an equivalent wattage kettle.
A whistling kettle useable on either gas or induction would seem to be a more effective use of our limited storage space.
Conversely it's possible to gauge the level in an electric kettle, so you don't heat more than you need ....
Choices, choices, what do you do?

Last edited:
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I've read that boiling water on a 1700w induction hob is faster and/or more efficient than an equivalent wattage kettle.
A whistling kettle useable on either gas or induction would seem to be a more effective use of our limited storage space.
I have a 'stove top' kettle that will work on both Gas and Electric Induction.

Conversely it's possible to gauge the level in an electric kettle, so you don't heat more than you need ....
You can of course do exactly the same thing with any kettle. Curious why you limit this idea to an electric kettle only?
(if it is to do with the level indicator, fill the kettle via cups - 1 cup full for one cup, 2 cup fulls for two, etc.)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We use 900w kettle. To guage how much water we just tipped 3 mugs of water into the kettle which gave us the level to fill to.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use an 800 watt kettle, smaller, lighter and doesn't take too long to boil. Has to how much to put in, I just pour water in and normally get it right to within a couple teaspoons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
The electric ring on a two way hob is very inefficient. All that metal to heat up and its wasted.

Low wattage kettle or induction hob is the way to go. If its just one cup, microwave?

Tony

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
When using an (pure sine) inverter, mine says 1600w, is that the actual output ? is there a maximium you can draw from it ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When using an (pure sine) inverter, mine says 1600w, is that the actual output ? is there a maximium you can draw from it ?
If that is the inverter rating that will be the max but they normally quote a peak rating as well, normally twice the continuous rating, that is meant to handle start up currents of the load for a few seconds.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We use a 700-890 w camping kettle when our batteries are full . We boil up a kettle full and save it in a flask for a brew later or even washing up
Similarly when we make a drink using the gas hob any surplus water is saved in a flask ( the type with a pourer). It's just something we do by habbit now.

May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
And not stainless steel, so kettles are out on an induction hob.
mine works fine on the Induction Hob.
In fact, I have two - one Whistling type with the fold-down handle and one collapsing one. Both work on Induction

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We use a 700-890 w camping kettle when our batteries are full . We boil up a kettle full and save it in a flask for a brew later or even washing up
Similarly when we make a drink using the gas hob any surplus water is saved in a flask ( the type with a pourer). It's just something we do by habbit now.
Same amount of energy use as if you just boiled what you needed each time.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
😲
Really?
Good grief! What a faff. I really CBA'd with that.

May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Either have a thermal base like saucepans or very poor quality stainless the later I suspect.
it works, that is what matters to me :) who cares if poor quality if the water makes a nice cuppa :D
Had them both for around 6 and 3 years respectively and works same as when new, so quality is good enough.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Life is too short for 900w kettles. We bought this one. Holds just 1L, (perfect) It's 2000w, boils fast, It has a wide base so is very stable for those brews made on the floor at 70mph on the motorway.

Your inverter is bigger than mine as the saying might go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back