Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
May not be news was was to me.Saw this issue from Adblue overspill on another forum and thought
FB_IMG_1727471320989.jpg
worth sharing.Apparently a 3 year old van

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Not much help...but have been warned to wash off paintwork straight away if you spill.
Is it that corrosive I don't know.

Cheers🍻

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Probably a naive question, most of mine are, but why would this have anything to do with adblue?
Have you sprayed it over the battery?
Is there a leak from where you put the Adblue in?
Are you sure it’s adblue or could it just be water?
Difficult to say from the photos.
I can’t see why it has anything to do with adblue, but I will concede I am thick!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Probably a naive question, most of mine are, but why would this have anything to do with adblue?
Have you sprayed it over the battery?
Is there a leak from where you put the Adblue in?
Are you sure it’s adblue or could it just be water?
Difficult to say from the photos.
I can’t see why it has anything to do with adblue, but I will concede I am thick!

'Be aware that although AdBlue is non-toxic, it is corrosive and can cause irritation to the skin, eyes and lungs. Wear gloves and wash your hands and arms after filling. If AdBlue comes into contact with the vehicle's paintwork, rinse the area with water.'

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its incredibly corrosive, thats why the tanks are plastic and the senders inside or non ferrous. Earlier versions suffered with the senders rotting out. I used to work for a firm where they had an IBC and where the filler had been dripping it had eaten away the concrete base.

I'm really not convinced about adblue, I wouldn't entertain buying a vehicle with it. Spraying such a noxious chemical into the air seems crazy to me, and it does cause engine issues, try googling adblue problems for your make.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I'm really not convinced about adblue, I wouldn't entertain buying a vehicle with it. Spraying such a noxious chemical into the air seems crazy to me
AdBlue is far less noxious than the NOx it removes from exhaust fumes. It is classified as non-hazardous. Yes it is corrosive to some metals and a mild irritant as are many household liquids. You just need to take a little care when filling and rinse down if you spill it. People seem to single out AdBlue as dangerous but we all handle far more dangerous substances as part of our daily lives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Some of the fillers are very poorly positioned, my daughter's Range Rover has the filling point at the back of the engine almost impossible to fill from a 10lt container. My VW had it at the front of the engine, better, but still not easy. My Nissan Navara has a full point on the side of the vehicle, easy to fill without spilling. So far I have not found a local garage with a pump.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It looks to me like a combination of different reasons for the corrosion it looks like someone has drilled in that area and not vacuumed up the metal swarf together with a spill of adblue.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I'm really not convinced about adblue, I wouldn't entertain buying a vehicle with it. Spraying such a noxious chemical into the air seems crazy to me, and it does cause engine issues, try googling adblue problems for your make.
When I had a VW adblu was not a problem, now I have a Nissan the owners groups are full of bad stories, with many suggesting an adblu delete. So far I've had no problems and it's still under warranty, but down the line when it's out of warranty, if I have problems I may consider having it deleted.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Some of the fillers are very poorly positioned, my daughter's Range Rover has the filling point at the back of the engine almost impossible to fill from a 10lt container. My VW had it at the front of the engine, better, but still not easy. My Nissan Navara has a full point on the side of the vehicle, easy to fill without spilling. So far I have not found a local garage with a pump.
On my Mercedes Hymer the AdBlue under bonnet filler was a pain to reach and avoiding a spill needed great care. On my Fiat Van the filler is under the fuel flap and dead easy to use.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
On my Mercedes Hymer the AdBlue under bonnet filler was a pain to reach and avoiding a spill needed great care. On my Fiat Van the filler is under the fuel flap and dead easy to use.
I got a Syphon pump and stand the 10lt container on my Wheely bin, it's not quick but no spills. Now I no longer have the VW I will only need it for when my daughter visits and steals my adblu 🙂

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
AdBlue is far less noxious than the NOx it removes from exhaust fumes. It is classified as non-hazardous. Yes it is corrosive to some metals and a mild irritant as are many household liquids. You just need to take a little care when filling and rinse down if you spill it. People seem to single out AdBlue as dangerous but we all handle far more dangerous substances as part of our daily lives.
But we're not spraying vast quantities of household bleach around the streets.

Reactions: DT
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
What amuses me about dangerous chemicals around the home or lesuire space is people have 2 of the most dangerous and reactive chemicals (Sodium and Chlorine) sat on their dinner table (salt). The difficult aspects of handling Adblue could easily be rectified by legislation and unified handling design. The handling of a difficult chemical (very dangerous to humans) like DiChloromethane, Methelyne Chloride (2 names one chemical) was legislated to automatic bunded systems with a minimum package size of 1000litres. (No posibble human contact. could even be legislated out of existance by now).

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had to give my neighbour a hand filling the AdBlu on her Citroen (Picasso ?) The tank is accessed by lifting up the rear seat squab !

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
What amuses me about dangerous chemicals around the home or lesuire space is people have 2 of the most dangerous and reactive chemicals (Sodium and Chlorine) sat on their dinner table (salt). The difficult aspects of handling Adblue could easily be rectified by legislation and unified handling design. The handling of a difficult chemical (very dangerous to humans) like DiChloromethane, Methelyne Chloride (2 names one chemical) was legislated to automatic bunded systems with a minimum package size of 1000litres. (No posibble human contact. could even be legislated out of existance by now).
AdBlue is simply not dangerous enough to warrant more warning than is already given on the bottle. Filling with petrol and LPG is more dangerous and diesel is far harder to clean off if spilt.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
except Adblue is not classified as a hazardous substance. so why discuss it in relation to something that is considerably harmful to humans such as meth chloride (used to be used in paint stripper). It gives the wrong impression to those who have no or very little knowledge of chemicals, COSHH, CLP, REACH etc

I would suggest people look at the safety data sheet to educate themselves.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What do you think when about 78% of the air we breath is nitrogen. !!!!

Granted but this is releasing more nitrogen. We used to put lead in petrol without a care. I'm just a long way from convinced that this is a good thing to do.

Inhaling air containing mostly nitrogen will lead to various signs of physical and mental impairment

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Multiplied by how many diesel engined vehicles?
It doesn’t matter how many AdBlue systems there are because it is not polluting anything. In contrast diesel engines are polluting the air with NOx and AdBlue reduces this pollution. That means AdBlue is good for the environment not bad for it. It converts the dangerous NOx into harmless Nitrogen and steam.
Inhaling air containing mostly nitrogen will lead to various signs of physical and mental impairment
That is caused by lack of Oxygen not by the Nitrogen. The key part of the explanation is that they are talking about enclosed spaces.

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I don't have problems I have never spilled adblue but I can also pee in this without missing đźš˝

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Granted but this is releasing more nitrogen. We used to put lead in petrol without a care. I'm just a long way from convinced that this is a good thing to do.

Another example of a little knowledge…….

It can be an asphyxiant when depleting oxygen levels. In factories where there are nitrogen generators present we do indeed install gas detection. Oxygen detectors to let us know when the level drops too low.

As an aside, how many people spray lawn and plant feed without a thought. The food is nitrogen predominantly from urea.

Overall Adblue is not considered hazardous. Many of the operational issues that vehicles have would be significantly reduced if the concentration of urea was reduced from 32.5%. 10% would be ideal.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Odd how some people are happy to continue using fossil fuels and producing diesel particulates known to be harmful to health but not to release a perfectly harmless gas into the atmosphere!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back