Ventilation fan behind fridge? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CHD

Jan 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Morning Funsters
Has anyone fitted a fan behind the fridge for extra ventilation in hot weather? Are they successful?
Just out of curiosity and any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looked at it so little room behind the fridge with the 10 series fridge not practical to get the cables down will have to use the less efficient method of fans blowing in at the bottom.
The fridge does work a lot better than previous models may see how it goes.
Have you tried pulling off the panel above the fridge? Ours is only held on with Velcro.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you tried pulling off the panel above the fridge? Ours is only held on with Velcro.
Yes that is where the pre wired solar & Sat cables are, no good rolling a hole through the back as no access to the back of the fridge with a roof vent. Also running cables through a Carthago is a nightmare, they are too well built.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
These are mine, I fitted them inside so the louvres can be taken off for extra ventilation. Got a compressor fridge now but left them on and fitted the sensor on the liquid pipe 😎

Screenshot_20240703_105906_Photos.jpg

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes that is where the pre wired solar & Sat cables are, no good rolling a hole through the back as no access to the back of the fridge with a roof vent. Also running cables through a Carthago is a nightmare, they are too well built.
I looked at the dometic kit, bit expensive but it just connects to the existing wiring loom and it's fitted at the bottom blowing air up. Some models you need 2 fans so more expensive.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Where do you fix the temp sensor?
I fitted mine between the fans on a strip of aluminium. It's not that important as long as its above the heating pipes.
Best to set the cut in temperature so the fans cut in at an ambient of 25°, so your setting will be in the 30's on the congroller a bit of trial & error.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Just endorsing what everyone with a fan kit has said. CBE brand twin fan kit with both manual and auto controller with temp sensor on fan mounting panel. Fitted towards the top of the vent cavity 200mm below the roof vent. Result - Transformed my fridge freezer performance for £50.00 (priced at 3-4 years ago!) plus a bit of manual labour to fit myself whilst I had the fridge out for maintenance! https://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=129657

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Are you sure? A fridge of any kind is still trying to exchange heat from one area to another. If the outside is hot surely that’s going to hinder it?
I’ve got a new large fridge freezer compressor and Thetford told me to block my vents best I can my mate has a new van with compressor large fridge freezer no outside vents. So how would you put fans on . Someone is talking rubbish and it ain’t me

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
This is where they should be fitted for maximum effect according to Dometic, not in the vent grilles. Make your own kit for a fraction of the cost.

View attachment 918502
As the manufacturer I suppose they've got to show them fitted to their product rather than various motorhome top outlets, which will all be different.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
As the manufacturer I suppose they've got to show them fitted to their product rather than various motorhome top outlets, which will all be different.
It's more about which specific components should be cooled and which shouldn't, so as to provide some control to the (convection) flow of the coolant solution . Fan/s positioned in vent opening disrupt the normal airflow , but probably better than nothing in very warm weather. see installation instruction warning below

fridge fan instruction.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is where they should be fitted for maximum effect according to Dometic, not in the vent grilles. Make your own kit for a fraction of the cost.

View attachment 918502
Now that doesn't surprise me with Dometic. That type of fan is more efficient sucking air rather than blowing. Much better to fit them in the top grill suckining air out.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Now that doesn't surprise me with Dometic. That type of fan is more efficient sucking air rather than blowing. Much better to fit them in the top grill suckining air out.
Agree , which would also create a negative pressure behind the fridge which would be desirable from the combustion gas point of view but the actual reason is given by Dometic below.

fridge fan instruction.JPG

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Well I guess Dometic have done their research on this , but the other thing to consider , especially when installing two beefy fans in the lower grill , is that when operating on gas, the positive pressure created by the fans would affect the duration that the heated air lingers in the heat tube or chimney , as you will no doubt know, there is a baffle fitted to the tube internally to carefully regulate this for maximum efficiency .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looked at it so little room behind the fridge with the 10 series fridge not practical to get the cables down will have to use the less efficient method of fans blowing in at the bottom.
The fridge does work a lot better than previous models may see how it goes.
If its got a roof vent you may not need fans.

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Haven't done it on our van yet, but have done it on our boat in Greece on our fridge and freezer, because the increasingly hot summers are making the fridges work extremely hard. Made a positive difference but a remodel with better insulation is our next project.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
Unbeliveable !! I have just found this controler under the dometic fridge, didn't have a clue what it was and was just about to ask about it and this thread popped up, so now I know what it is but how do I use it ? and should I just leave it on auto all the time. By the way it does work because if I listen closely at the vent I can hear it running very quietly.

IMG_0816.JPG

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I also have a similar setup as above, also it's worth checking the thermal paste on the cooling plate as replacing that makes a difference if defective.
I have also the same setup on my fridge, but I have to say the changing of the thermal paste has made a fantastic benefit and now have not even turned the fans on since.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I discovered on our last trip that the top fridge outlet is not 'sealed' from the interior of our MH! :eek: There's been a bit of a draught over the rear bed, roughly just below the base of the upper cupboard, so just nicely at head height when reading etc, I've never been able to trace it and suspected the rear roof vent over the bed but even putting an insulation pad in it never stopped it so just assumed it was coming from the surrounding frame somehow (permanent ventilation?).

I finally found out the real 'culprit' a few days before we came back we were on a parking area overnight which was well lit and when I turned over I could see light hitting the side of the smoke and CO detectors above the fridge, it was very bright so not just coming through the 'plastic' itself. At first I thought it was a reflection as the central roof vent blind wasn't fully closed but that didn't make sense as the light was hitting the wrong side of them. Giving it more thought once I'd woken up a bit more the only place the light could be coming in was via the fridge roof outlet.

It's now on my list of 'jobs' to sort before we go away again - apart from the draught it's a safety issue as there should be NO way that the fumes from the fridge should be able to enter the interior.

If its got a roof vent you may not need fans.
It does appear to work well for the few days we have used it but England is bleeding freezing at the moment.
I agree Lenny, I'm looking to do something myself as the fridge works okay most of the time but on some days we had defrosting stuff in the freezer and the fridge didn't feel that cold which is not good. One thing we did notice though is that the evaporation 'tub' at the rear just behind the external grill can fill up fairly quickly when it's hot and if too full it can affect the cooling so I have small version of a turkey baster which I use to remove the fluid, once done this certainly improves it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back