VanBitz Growler and Non-Starter Questions

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
We got our first campervan in July 2024. This is our first so we’re new!
AshVanBitz just picking up on the above comments and latest upgrade paths etc and it's got me mulling. We have the circular grey fob with a single button on it. This lives in a hidey hole somewhere inside our van, and once a year I get reminded to change the battery. We never use it for anything, and now I'm wondering if we should actually be using it for arming/disarming the NonStarter module? At present we have to open the Metatrak app and sometimes the older blue version of the app too, in order to be able to either send an unblock command or toggle immobiliser off/on etc. What is the actual purpose of the grey fob please, and have we been missing out on a simpler ease of use? :unsure:
I’m sure Ash will correct if I’m wrong but for us, the small round fob activates/deactivates the actual alarm and we use the MetaTrak app to switch the non starter on/off.

If you haven’t been using the fob, I’m guessing you haven’t been setting the alarm 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
We have a separate Growler fob to activate/deactivate. The separate little Metatrac Disc as far as I was aware simply let's the Tracker know it's in the van and allows the non starter mode to operate when deactivated on the app.
I could learn something here so will keep dropping in.👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
I’m sure Ash will correct if I’m wrong but for us, the small round fob activates/deactivates the actual alarm and we use the MetaTrak app to switch the non starter on/off.

If you haven’t been using the fob, I’m guessing you haven’t been setting the alarm 🤔
Little two-button blue radio fob arms/disarms the Strikeback for us, the grey fob just lives in the van hidden from sight, but I am now wondering if we were supposed to be using it in conjunction with the app for an easier life ::bigsmile:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
The round Metatrac key fob with 1 central button is for the for the immobiliser. It should NOT be kept in the van!

The presence of this fob allows the van to start. You normally keep it with you - on the keys for example. The starting even with the fob present can be prevented at an extra primary level by permanently disabling starting via the app; when parked up at home, in storage, etc.

The oblong silicon fob with 2 buttons arms and disarms the alarm system.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
The round Metatrac key fob with 1 central button is for the for the immobiliser. It should NOT be kept in the van!

The presence of this fob allows the van to start. You normally keep it with you - on the keys for example. The starting even with the fob present can be prevented at an extra primary level by permanently disabling starting via the app; when parked up at home, in storage, etc.

The oblong silicon fob with 2 buttons arms and disarms the alarm system.
Oooh, shoot, so for the last three years we've been using it wrong :oops: But, if we take that disc out of the van, say, when we lock up and go shopping, should we then lose the keys with that disc fob attached to the key ring, then we'd be unable to start the van with the spare set of keys that Mrs Sunlover carries in her purse .... what would we do then in that instance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Oooh, shoot, so for the last three years we've been using it wrong :oops: But, if we take that disc out of the van, say, when we lock up and go shopping, should we then lose the keys with that disc fob attached to the key ring, then we'd be unable to start the van with the spare set of keys that Mrs Sunlover carries in her purse .... what would we do then in that instance?
You put the second disc you should have on the spare keys.
There is another override that an authorised app provides. (Not going to give all details here).
Suggest you contact VanBitz for a full overview.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
You put the second disc you should have on the spare keys.
There is another override that an authorised app provides. (Not going to give all details here).
Suggest you contact VanBitz for a full overview.
Hmmm, we were asked at the time of installation whether we wanted to buy the said disc fob as it was recommended by VB as being useful should there be a problem with signal availability (or so I thought that's what it was for). I can remember when we were shown the operation of the alarm and non-starter, the kitchen drawer was opened and the disc fob popped in there by the demonstrator, being told that it was a safe place and we wouldn't forget that that was where it was stored in the event of needing to use it ..... (we didn't keep in in the kitchen drawer mind, but somewhere else "safe"). I don't recall it being suggested that we ought to buy two of them though, and certainly not that we needed to keep it with the ignition key, otherwise why put it in the cutlery drawer in the first place? The emergency stick is also in the same safe place which I guess is what you are referring to, but not wanting to say too much about, understandably. So I suppose, if you lose the disc fob, then you have to make use of the last resort over-ride function until you can obtain a new coded disc fob from Metatrak. If AshVanBitz doesn't pick up in a timely manner, I'll put a call in and have a chat to get it straightened out. Thanks for the pointers though :-)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The only time we have used the gray disc was when I could not set the immobiliser to 'off'

I had parked up in deepest Cornwall for a couple of weeks, and switched the immobiliser 'on' using the Metatrack app.
When I came to switch it off, nothing happened.
I spoke to Metatrack who told me to use the gray disk in a certain location in the van, and the immobiliser then switched off.

The cause was the location was just past the edge of the mobile phone coverage area, which meant that sometimes it works, sometimes it did not.

Ever since, I always check that there is at least 2 bars of mobile phone signal before setting the immobiliser to 'On'.

It should also be noted over the last 5 years I have had a few occasions when the immobiliser has switched itself on automatically.
At least two or three times at fuel stations in Germany.
At least twice when trying to exit a ferry (apparently, according to the crew, this is fairly common problem. With the additional problem that your mobile phone does not work very well inside a big steel box!) So again the gray disc is the easiest way to resolve the problem.
It also happened when the van was being serviced. I think it figured that something was messing with the system and it just locked itself up.

I make a point of when I'm in the ferry queue or when I take it for it annual service and it's MoT of putting setting it to 'Service Mode'

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
The only time we have used the gray disc was when I could not set the immobiliser to 'off'

I had parked up in deepest Cornwall for a couple of weeks, and switched the immobiliser 'on' using the Metatrack app.
I spoke to Metatrack who told me to use the gray disk in a certain location in the van, and the immobiliser then switched off.

The cause was the location was just past the edge of the mobile phone coverage area, which meant that sometimes it works, sometimes it did not.

Ever since, I always check that there is at least 2 bars of mobile phone signal before setting the immobiliser to 'On'.

It should also be noted over the last 5 years I have had a few occasions when the immobiliser has switched itself on automatically.
At least twice when trying to exit a ferry (apparently, according to the crew, this is fairly common problem. With the additional problem that your mobile phone does not work inside a big steel box!. So again the gray disc is the easiest way to resolve the problem.
It also happened when the van was being serviced. I think it figured that something was messing with the system and it just locked itself up.

I make a point of when I'm in the ferry queue or when I take it for it annual service and it's MoT of putting setting it to 'Service Mode'
Our immobiliser is by default, enabled within 20 seconds of switching the engine off, so unless I have truly thought about it, it's almost a given that the engine is immobilised before I have even unclipped my seat belt. Recently I was taking to driving through France with it in Service Mode, but again, I need to remember to take it out of that mode when parking up, and if I'm honest, there's always something else distracting us/me when we are pitching up. I have had instances where the newer Red icon App won't allow me to get going, and in those cases we open up the older Blue icon App and that allows me to send a command to unblock the immobiliser. I spoke to Metatrack about this and they said that the newer app doesn't toggle the on/off state automatically, and seeing as the version on Non-Starter that we have automatically immobilises us, then the newer app button states never match the condition of the unit in the van. This is why I probably still revert to the older app as at least then I can get us moving again.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp

At least twice when trying to exit a ferry (apparently, according to the crew, this is fairly common problem. With the additional problem that your mobile phone does not work very well inside a big steel box!) So again the gray disc is the easiest way to resolve the problem.

But do you keep your Metatrak disc fob with your van keys? Or do you leave it in the van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hmmm, we were asked at the time of installation whether we wanted to buy the said disc fob as it was recommended by VB as being useful should there be a problem with signal availability (or so I thought that's what it was for). I can remember when we were shown the operation of the alarm and non-starter, the kitchen drawer was opened and the disc fob popped in there by the demonstrator, being told that it was a safe place and we wouldn't forget that that was where it was stored in the event of needing to use it ..... (we didn't keep in in the kitchen drawer mind, but somewhere else "safe"). I don't recall it being suggested that we ought to buy two of them though, and certainly not that we needed to keep it with the ignition key, otherwise why put it in the cutlery drawer in the first place? The emergency stick is also in the same safe place which I guess is what you are referring to, but not wanting to say too much about, understandably. So I suppose, if you lose the disc fob, then you have to make use of the last resort over-ride function until you can obtain a new coded disc fob from Metatrak. If AshVanBitz doesn't pick up in a timely manner, I'll put a call in and have a chat to get it straightened out. Thanks for the pointers though :-)
Vanbitz are out of the office and at the NEC for all week so only emergency calls will be dealt with.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
But do you keep your Metatrak disc fob with your van keys? Or do you leave it in the van?
My spare keys and the fob live in a safe place in the van.
They are in a location when they are not going to be found by accident.
And even then, you will need a code to get them.

We have a method of getting into the van if we have lost the keys, (which is not a spare hab door key) but it will set off the alarm, so you need to know how to get the spare set of keys and alarm fob very fast.

I don't see the point of carrying the gray fob around, especially if you do not have a second driver who then also carries around a full set of spare keys.
I believe the gray fob only has a range of a few inches, therefore as long as it's stored out of range, not a problem.

Keys are far more likely to be taken from a bag when out and about, than they are from a secure and hidden place inside the van.
Hence we have a passenger set of keys, which is just the hab door and the alarm fob.

The 'drivers set' of keys which includes the ignition and steering lock keys and lives on a lanyard which is either around my neck or attached to a belt loop, which would make it difficult steal or drop.

The insurance company may not like it, (hence I'd never tell them), but I'd argue its far more secure than two people taking two full sets of keys, including the disarming disk to the beach every day.

If I wanted to steal a motorhome, the easiest way would be to follow the owners on holiday and then do a simple snatch and grab on a handbag.
I could be in another country before they would know what happened.

Last edited:

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Hi all, sorry for the delayed reply. I know question has pretty much been covered but I wanted to confirm everything.
The fob in question is the emergency override for the Non Starter and it is advisable not to keep it with your keys and to hide it somewhere in the vehicle. On most vehicles this is never used but it is there for the “just in case” scenarios.
Depending on the age of the system you may find that this can now be discarded and the new app can feature the emergency override. If you speak with MetaTrak direct, they can advise if the new app with the built in override feature is available to you and what you need to do to get up and running.
I am currently at the NEC this week but Nick is in the office and can help you with any enquiries. Please be mindful that he is covering the office by himself so if he is unable to answer the call at that time, he will be available if you try again later.
If you want to speak with MetaTrak their contact number is 02088672340.
I will be back in the office on Monday 👍🏻
Ash

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi all, sorry for the delayed reply. I know question has pretty much been covered but I wanted to confirm everything.
The fob in question is the emergency override for the Non Starter and it is advisable not to keep it with your keys and to hide it somewhere in the vehicle. On most vehicles this is never used but it is there for the “just in case” scenarios.
Depending on the age of the system you may find that this can now be discarded and the new app can feature the emergency override. If you speak with MetaTrak direct, they can advise if the new app with the built in override feature is available to you and what you need to do to get up and running.
I am currently at the NEC this week but Nick is in the office and can help you with any enquiries. Please be mindful that he is covering the office by himself so if he is unable to answer the call at that time, he will be available if you try again later.
Ash
Hi Ash I did email you but got the “out of office “ nothing urgent

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Our immobiliser is by default, enabled within 20 seconds of switching the engine off, so unless I have truly thought about it, it's almost a given that the engine is immobilised before I have even unclipped my seat belt. Recently I was taking to driving through France with it in Service Mode, but again, I need to remember to take it out of that mode when parking up, and if I'm honest, there's always something else distracting us/me when we are pitching up. I have had instances where the newer Red icon App won't allow me to get going, and in those cases we open up the older Blue icon App and that allows me to send a command to unblock the immobiliser. I spoke to Metatrack about this and they said that the newer app doesn't toggle the on/off state automatically, and seeing as the version on Non-Starter that we have automatically immobilises us, then the newer app button states never match the condition of the unit in the van. This is why I probably still revert to the older app as at least then I can get us moving again.
I found that if the immobiliser is turned off in the old app then the new app will work fine however if the immobiliser is turned on in the old app then the new app can't turn it off so you have to go back to the old one. I don’t use the old app anymore and I should probably uninstall it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I found that if the immobiliser is turned off in the old app then the new app will work fine however if the immobiliser is turned on in the old app then the new app can't turn it off so you have to go back to the old one. I don’t use the old app anymore and I should probably uninstall it.
I will explore that line of thought ChrisL that might be a solution to what I am finding. I have been hesitant to deinstall the old app as I feared not being able to get started with just the new one. There have been a few comedy moments outside barriers and ticket machines where we've been sat for a few minutes whilst the queue behind us grows ever longer :rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Ash
Many thanks for the confirmation Ash, so glad I hadn't been using the system incorrectly for the past three years :giggle: I've looked on the new app and there's a button there available to me to generate the security key required to use the emergency unblock feature, it would appear that I can use the latest method of unblocking in the event of being stuck in a non-signal area, but I will still give Metatrack a phone call to confirm that is the case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back