VanBitz Growler and Non-Starter Questions

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The non starter is very effective and definitely gives peace of mind, but it was incredibly frustrating to use on a journey.

Every time the ignition is turned off, we had to either dig out the hidden key fob, or go through the smart phone override process. So if we filled up with diesel, we had to go through the disabling process again. Stop for lunch, and yep, you’re disabling the non starter again.

It became so impractical on a journey that i put the non starter into service mode at the start of the journey and hoped I’d remember to disable service mode at the end of the day.

In contrast, our current system has a completely transparent immobiliser engagement/disabling process. It just works without us jumping through hoops every time the ignition is turned off. Also the 24 hour monitoring service can remotely disable the engine, if need be.
Sounds as though you were using it wrong, I lock my van with Citroen key fob, that central locks all the doors, I then press the Strikeback blue fob and fires the alarm up, reverse to switch off, I am not sure what hoops you needed to jump through?

CRD

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Sounds as though you were using it wrong, I lock my van with Citroen key fob, that central locks all the doors, I then press the Strikeback blue fob and fires the alarm up, reverse to switch off, I am not sure what hoops you needed to jump through?
I was talking about the non starter system, not the alarm 😀

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Hi Ash

It’s good to hear that the non starter has been updated. Ours was three years old.

It would be good if you could answer to help potential purchasers:

1) Was our non starter firmware upgradeable? We received updates for the Metatrak app but never received notifications from you about any firmware upgrades to bring our system up to the latest specs.

2) Did our non starter need hardware upgrades or to be replaced to bring it to the latest specs? If so, what is the replacement cost, including installation? Are there any discounts for hardware replacements if required? I never heard anything from VanBitz about upgrades.

3) Does non starter have the remote enabling (disabling the engine) of the system via Metatrak? This is very important if you allow users to disable non starter (like I often did via service mode).

I sometimes received emails from Metatrak reminding me that our non starter had been in service mode for five days. If the van had been nicked during that time with remote control room disable functionality they could remotely disable the engine.

4) Does the smartphone bluetooth disable feature work like a wireless tag, or do you have to go into the Metatrak app, and find the disable function within the app? It’s buried away in the Metatrak app version that I used and is cumbersome to use.

Thanks
Good morning CRD

The systems firmware has always been able to be automatically updated remotely. The original Non Starter however was a stand alone system so we were unable to integrate it with other security products. This systems hardware was unfortunately was not upgradable so a massive reason when we brought out the latest version. The new equipment has the feature to fully integrate itself with some of our other products (for example: the Shadow VTS S5 tracking system and the OBD (on-board diagnostic) port). This is the system that can be modified to work in the customer preferred method.

Firmware/software updates with all the Metatrak products are done automatically and remotely. They typically schedule this to happen when the majority of vehicles are not being used (in the middle of the night). 99% of the time you would not know that it has happened as it doesn't change the functionality of the system but simply improves the operation of the system in general.

Yes the system does have the feature to immobilise through the app regardless of how it is setup. If it is set up with "No tag, no start", you can still remotely immobilise the engine as a secondary feature which will then ignore the ID tags and prevent the vehicle from being started. If the thief already has you keys and has started the engine, you can then arm the immobilisation once the vehicle ignition has been turned off again. in the meantime you can also locate your vehicle and follow its every twist and turn to see where it is being driven.

The Bluetooth override feature is built into the app and it is a very procedure to complete. Once the app is open it take only three presses on the screen to complete the override procedure and you will then be on your way. I am also pleased to say that the new app can also be accessed even when there is absolutely no signal to your device (unlike the old app that required signal).

Kindest regards

Ash

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Hi Ash

I have to admit that when I read the above, I got to 'The new system also features a Bluetooth override..' and thought this is just too complicated for us. But, I guess once we've decided what we actually want, you've installed and set it up, it'll be easy to use on a daily basis? We're just not 'app' people and we don't live on our phones, or always have them with us. Is it a requirement to always have a phone with us, please?

Also, Flairy said above, "Mines 20 years old still perfect I bought a sim on a monthly account otherwise they network switch it off thinking it’s no longer in use." Do we need a separate sim to run the system, please?
Morning HKF

It honestly isn't complicated at all. The day to day usability is very simple. With the alarm there are no apps and it is controlled purely through radio key fobs. One press on and one press off. It isn't much simpler than that.

When it comes to the pagers/trackers that we offer, you shouldn't need to access the app on a daily basis but even when you do it is very simple. What we really need to do is have a proper conversation and create the right system for you to make sure it is as stress free as possible.

Flairy is taking about one of our older paging systems that used to use a pay-as-you-go sim card. I am please to say that this is now a thing of the past. The sim cards that is built into all our current units are done on yearly contracts and are all multi network. The systems can then can always latch on to the strongest signal in that particular area to provide you with better coverage.

Kindest regards

Ash

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
We had a Growler and non starter fitted to our previous MH and it did run down the battery when the MH was in storage.

I received a text at 4am that the alarm had been triggered so as soon as possible headed to the storage to see what happened. The van was fine, but the starter battery was flat. Every time I tried to start the engine, the alarm triggered again.
Mine sent me a text message when the starter battery was getting low in sufficient time to still start the engine.

Using the old app the immobiliser armed its self every time the ignition was turned off, however using the new app I can turn the immobiliser off and it stays off until it is turned back on again using the app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Morning HKF

It honestly isn't complicated at all. The day to day usability is very simple. With the alarm there are no apps and it is controlled purely through radio key fobs. One press on and one press off. It isn't much simpler than that.

When it comes to the pagers/trackers that we offer, you shouldn't need to access the app on a daily basis but even when you do it is very simple. What we really need to do is have a proper conversation and create the right system for you to make sure it is as stress free as possible.

Flairy is taking about one of our older paging systems that used to use a pay-as-you-go sim card. I am please to say that this is now a thing of the past. The sim cards that is built into all our current units are done on yearly contracts and are all multi network. The systems can then can always latch on to the strongest signal in that particular area to provide you with better coverage.

Kindest regards

Ash
I can testify that the new system is the simplest yet.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Kindest regards

Ash

So, do all your systems require a yearly subscription to work, then? I didn't think I'd read that anywhere :unsure:

CRD

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Good morning CRD

The systems firmware has always been able to be automatically updated remotely. The original Non Starter however was a stand alone system so we were unable to integrate it with other security products. This systems hardware was unfortunately was not upgradable so a massive reason when we brought out the latest version. The new equipment has the feature to fully integrate itself with some of our other products (for example: the Shadow VTS S5 tracking system and the OBD (on-board diagnostic) port). This is the system that can be modified to work in the customer preferred method.

Firmware/software updates with all the Metatrak products are done automatically and remotely. They typically schedule this to happen when the majority of vehicles are not being used (in the middle of the night). 99% of the time you would not know that it has happened as it doesn't change the functionality of the system but simply improves the operation of the system in general.

Yes the system does have the feature to immobilise through the app regardless of how it is setup. If it is set up with "No tag, no start", you can still remotely immobilise the engine as a secondary feature which will then ignore the ID tags and prevent the vehicle from being started. If the thief already has you keys and has started the engine, you can then arm the immobilisation once the vehicle ignition has been turned off again. in the meantime you can also locate your vehicle and follow its every twist and turn to see where it is being driven.

The Bluetooth override feature is built into the app and it is a very procedure to complete. Once the app is open it take only three presses on the screen to complete the override procedure and you will then be on your way. I am also pleased to say that the new app can also be accessed even when there is absolutely no signal to your device (unlike the old app that required signal).

Kindest regards

Ash
Thanks for the detailed reply.

It looks like we were unfortunate in having a version of your non starter that could not be brought up to the latest specs without being replaced.

As a suggestion, it would be far more user friendly to be able to use the smartphone app as a tag (as our current immobiliser does) rather than having to open the app and find the relevant section for the override feature, even if it is only three key presses.

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
So, do all your systems require a yearly subscription to work, then? I didn't think I'd read that anywhere :unsure:
Hello again,

Only if you are looking at having the Non Starter and/or the Shadow VTS tracking system installed. Our alarm systems do not require a sim card and do not have any ongoing charges.

Kindest regards

Ash

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Thanks for the detailed reply.

It looks like we were unfortunate in having a version of your non starter that could not be brought up to the latest specs without being replaced.

As a suggestion, it would be far more user friendly to be able to use the smartphone app as a tag (as our current immobiliser does) rather than having to open the app and find the relevant section for the override feature, even if it is only three key presses.
This was something that we have looked at previously but we decided against it. The amount of times that customers return to us from a day out in town and don't have any battery left in their phones is honestly astronomically high. I appreciate that this is not everyone but it is high enough that we made the decision to structure our system in its current format.

This may change in time you never know, but as it currently stands the new version works amazingly well and we only hear good feedback from it.

Kindest regards

Ash

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hello again,

Only if you are looking at having the Non Starter and/or the Shadow VTS tracking system installed. Our alarm systems do not require a sim card and do not have any ongoing charges.

Kindest regards

Ash

Thank you, Ash. What is the current yearly subsription for the Non Starter, please? We were looking at getting the Growler and Non Starter fitted at the same time but ongoing costs would need to be taken into account. I assume that if the subscription is ended then the Non Starter becomes unusable. Is that correct, please?

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
The 1st year is included in the initial cost. The annual subscription charge is the £75.95

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The 1st year is included in the initial cost. The annual subscription charge is the £75.95

Great, thank you so much :)

We're pretty much booked up for the next couple of months, so we'd be looking at September/October at the earliest. Do you know roughly how long you'd need the MH for, please?

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Great, thank you so much :)

We're pretty much booked up for the next couple of months, so we'd be looking at September/October at the earliest. Do you know roughly how long you'd need the MH for, please?
We will only need the vehicle for a day. When you book in with us we will invite you to come and have a complementary night stay on our campsite to make the trip to us that little bit easier. Work would commence at 8:30am and the vehicle would be handed back to you around 4:30pm.

When you have a date in mind, please give me a call and we can go through the diary to marry something up. At the same time we can go through all the options to find the best one for you.

Hope to hear from you again soon

Kindest regards

Ash

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Well proof, if proof were needed, what a totally efficient and customer orientation company that is VanBitz. Made a quick pm to AshVanBitz this morning regarding an upgrade to my Non-Starter. No sooner had I left my computer desk then Ash was on the phone asking how he could help. A brief description of what was available, and Ash was in contact with Meta Trak, upgrade completed, job done ! Think on, it is some three years since I had the system fitted. Now why can’t all companies be so efficient ?
Thank you Ash, your assistance was very much appreciated.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
When you do book, remember to ask for your Fun discount at the time of booking, it can't be retrospectively applied (y)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We will only need the vehicle for a day. When you book in with us we will invite you to come and have a complementary night stay on our campsite to make the trip to us that little bit easier. Work would commence at 8:30am and the vehicle would be handed back to you around 4:30pm.

When you have a date in mind, please give me a call and we can go through the diary to marry something up. At the same time we can go through all the options to find the best one for you.

Hope to hear from you again soon

Kindest regards

Ash

The stay would be most welcome, since we'll be travelling over from France.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. We'll be in touch with you again soon :)

Oh, one more question. How much notice would you need to fit us in, please?

AshVanBitz

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
The stay would be most welcome, since we'll be travelling over from France.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. We'll be in touch with you again soon :)

Oh, one more question. How much notice would you need to fit us in, please?
It varies depending on the time of the year but usually it falls around a month (sometimes a little less, sometimes more).

Ash

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: HKF
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Just left Cornish Farm this morning after having tracker added. Our non starter was an old model but the new MetaTrak app works perfectly with both. Unfortunately because NS was old version we have to have 2 subscriptions but even so very happy with our increased security and lower insurance premium. Thanks again Vanbitz for a friendly and professional experience.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Mines 20 years old still perfect I bought a sim on a monthly account otherwise they network switch it off thinking it’s no longer in use.👍
We had a PAYG sim from Tesco which they switched off for under use. I used to do a “Status” once a month but forgot. So I phoned them and explained that it was in an alarm and that I had to set the alarm off to generate a charge and she put a marker to say it was in an alarm so it wouldn’t be switched off. That was ten years or so ago and they haven’t switched it off since.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
HKF you asked about false alarms, we have had Strikeback alarms since 2000 so over 23 years and never had a false alarm, I have accidentally set it off a couple of times while working on the van with the fob in my pocket and twice (in 23 years) we have had a problem disarming the system because we had parked first next to a military base and their radio’s were swamping the system. A quick call to Vanbitz and they identified the problem and how to get round it. The second time we had inadvertently parked near a major police depot so same problem. But now we knew how to get round it.
I really defy anybody to have a problem with a device many years after fitting and get instant help from the suppliers free of charge. Even if you sell your van I think for a small registration fee they will still support the new owner.
I see above that you have decided to get a Vanbitz system, don’t forget to get a Fun discount code to give when you book.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+

It's loud, but no worse than say the mosh pit at a Deep Purple gig. ;)
The arm/disarm button on your keyring will switch it off in under a second if you are fast enough.
Mosh pit at a Deep Purple gig!

Have you been to one lately? It's all seated, even right at the front :LOL:

(still sounds great though! (y))

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I've had the full alarm, Growler and Non-Starter system for a little over 6 years and I support everything said about quality and service from VanBitz.

I've had one episode of false alarms due to a failed door sensor; VanBitz sent me a pair of new ones promptly and without argument, once we'd diagnosed the problem.

I've had one episode of apparent false alarms that were actually genuine. The cause was USB charging cables hanging down from the charging sockets in the dashboard, which interfered with the interior movement detectors. Tidying up resolved the issue!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On our previous van the only problem we had was the bike loop. We had a few false alarms over 2 or 3 days in France. Once when we were out on a long bike ride so took us ages to get back. We were suspicious it was the bike loop by then. We unscrewed it but still wound it round the bikes as though it was on. No further false alarms. AshVanBitz replaced it on our return. This was years ago now. He wasn’t quite sure what had happened. We hadn’t ever undone it but no doubt it was us, one of my old Partners didn’t even like me standing near his computer as he was convinced it would jinx it!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry eddie but whenever I see Growler in the title of a thread it cracks me up :D Were you aware of the slang usage of the word when you named the product. Sorry just curious :D

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
AshVanBitz just picking up on the above comments and latest upgrade paths etc and it's got me mulling. We have the circular grey fob with a single button on it. This lives in a hidey hole somewhere inside our van, and once a year I get reminded to change the battery. We never use it for anything, and now I'm wondering if we should actually be using it for arming/disarming the NonStarter module? At present we have to open the Metatrak app and sometimes the older blue version of the app too, in order to be able to either send an unblock command or toggle immobiliser off/on etc. What is the actual purpose of the grey fob please, and have we been missing out on a simpler ease of use? :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back