Van security after theft (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Sorry about the theft - :mad:

I used Stoplock Pro and clutch/brake pedal lock…….. as well as immobiliser, tracker, alarm, etc….

(Just to make it more difficult to steal…..)

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
One of the common methods of entry by thieves is to puncture the door skin just under the driver's cab door handle with a thin screwdriver, which both opens the door and normally switches off the alarm.
Fitting a Pro Plate will protect you from this method of entry. Pro Plate can be fitted to your sliding and rear doors as well.

https://vanlockstore.co.uk/our-products/proplate-40.html

Deadlocks are also an easy and cheap protection.

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Glad you've got your van back....👍
Have a look at VANBITZ security products although not cheap ie Ebay type products but the products speak for themselves.Just search this forum.Whatever you do hope your van doesn't get stolen again.

Cheers🍻

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Vanbitz for a growler and non starter fitting, that should deter them staying around if they break in, the non starter will stop it being driven off, then you could add all the metal contraptions that will keep them busy whilst being deafened👍

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice
Vanbitz we have a strike back, I think when we had our break in they took the MoHo keys but not the MoHo, I think this was due to the blinking external LED’s one wrong button push and the alarm could go off. So Tracker, stop lock, clutch claw, OBD safe (stops thieves plugging in to the vehicle buss) wheel lock. You don’t have to do it all at once but it s worth doing.

Good to hear you have your MoHo back 👍

Oh and a fantasy product which is a bit dark…a 2 ft steel spike pinning the thief to the seat….bit messy but I’m sure they wouldn’t be attempting another theft

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
happy for you that you've got it back, thank goodness for a tracker..

may i ask how far away it was when you found it, as i understand that thieves tend to leave it not too far away just to check if its tracked, and then come back later and go off with it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Caravan Guard insist upon a steering lock like this one (one of three they permit):

It could be that on renewal your insurer imposes a similar requirement but more relevantly it is an extra layer of security you can fit by tomorrow to stop a 2nd theft.

Hope that helps!

As a matter of interest where was your vehicles stolen from? On the road outside your home? On your drive? At a supposedly secure lock up facility?

Chris

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I have got a disklok but rarely use it tbh

It has a Sentinal Moving Intelligence alarm tracker with a now lifetime subscription, which up to now they seem to be on the ball when it comes to calling me if anything untoward has happened

If I ever change motorhomes i’ll probably go down the Vanbitz route unless I hear of anything better

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The best 2 methods I've found .

A well hidden fuel cut off device only you and/or the fitter knows about.

And if you can get one change the steering wheel to an aftermarket removable one. Although on newer vans this is more difficult due to the crap the put on them.

If they can't start it they can't drive it away.

Unfortunately you'll never stop the damage they do trying no matter what alarms and security you fit to it.

Oh and there's a third method. Buy a van no one wants to steal 😁🤣 its worked for me so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Caravan Guard insist upon a steering lock like this one (one of three they permit):

It could be that on renewal your insurer imposes a similar requirement but more relevantly it is an extra layer of security you can fit by tomorrow to stop a 2nd theft.

Hope that helps!

As a matter of interest where was your vehicles stolen from? On the road outside your home? On your drive? At a supposedly secure lock up facility?

Chris
Caravanguard only insist on the steering lock on vans above a certain insurance amount. I think it’s £50k.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Caravanguard only insist on the steering lock on vans above a certain insurance amount. I think it’s £50k.
My MoHo is a recent purchase (April, 24) for much less than that sum. But my point was with incidents of theft becoming rife lots of insurers are going to up their minimum security requirements on renewal. The OP asks for affordable ways of increasing his security. Hence my suggestion.

Chris

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My MoHo is a recent purchase (April, 24) for much less than that sum. But my point was with incidents of theft becoming rife lots of insurers are going to up their minimum security requirements on renewal. The OP asks for affordable ways of increasing his security. Hence my suggestion.

Chris
Yours is ford based

I believe it makes a difference.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Bear lock. I don't know if they do them for Sevel vans but you can get them installed in a VW. Locks the gear lever.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a relay hidden in the depths of the van that diverts the wire that energises the starter to a very loud air horn, which once activated stays on until the ignition key is turned on and disconnects the latching relay. The normally closed contacts go to the horn the normally open has to be made to complete the starter circuit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Hi

Many thanks for the advice and prompt replies

Firstly regards the crime it was a theft from outside the House on street parking in London the first we knew about it was when the tracking company phoned us at about 4.30 am to say they had had a battery disconnect and wanted to check all was ok - I looked outside and my heart sank. They were pretty good I must say and advised to call the police and the tracking company could see the van was parked up about 4 miles away. I went to the van the police were there and had I am sorry to say little interest in solving the crime probably I guess because they know they won't get very far. although they suggested I could stake out the van and record anyone dodgy going near it and alert them... they didn't offer to make me PCSO or pay me to do my own stakeout.

The vehicle ignition had been barrelled and some cab trim unscrewed and others ripped up presumably looking for a tracker - we can see they moved it twice. The tracking company were awesome the chap I spoke to there gave me some very practical advice and helped get the van started by talking me through using a screwdriver into the ignition. He reckons the they leave it for a couple of days and recover the vehicle later if its still there.

I have no idea if they will target our van again but obviously that's why I am looking at countermeasures. Have driven it home locked it up and started the painful process of getting a new ignition sorted and will need replacements for the trim as I am pretty fastidious with my vehicles that will really irk me. What is particularly saddening is my daughters had made some little decorations for the van which the thieves trashed - for some reason that's particularly upsetting

Very depressing I must say I work for the NHS and am changing roles so we elected to take an extended break with the children over the summer holiday and the van is quite new to us and a huge expense so adding these other elements is quite unwanted expense but clearly necessary.

In case anyone else ends up looking at this thread am collating suggestions below

1. steering wheel suggestions
  • Disklok - very visible on steering wheel
  • stoplok
  • removable steering wheel

2. Pedal lock - ATE Fabrications
3. OBD lock
4. Alarms /immobiliser Vanbitz seems to be getting the votes
5. alternative kill switches --> any suggestions for who/where to fit these
6. Bear lock

I am London based so vanbitz might be tricky for me

thanks all any further suggestions /for devices or auto locksmiths appreciated

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

Firstly regards the crime it was a theft from outside the House on street parking in London the first we knew about it was when the tracking company phoned us at about 4.30 am to say they had had a battery disconnect and wanted to check all was ok - I looked outside and my heart sank. They were pretty good I must say and advised to call the police and the tracking company could see the van was parked up about 4 miles away. I went to the van the police were there and had I am sorry to say little interest in solving the crime probably I guess because they know they won't get very far. although they suggested I could stake out the van and record anyone dodgy going near it and alert them... they didn't offer to make me PCSO or pay me to do my own stakeout.

The vehicle ignition had been barrelled and some cab trim unscrewed and others ripped up presumably looking for a tracker - we can see they moved it twice. The tracking company were awesome the chap I spoke to there gave me some very practical advice and helped get the van started by talking me through using a screwdriver into the ignition. He reckons the they leave it for a couple of days and recover the vehicle later if its still there.

I have no idea if they will target our van again but obviously that's why I am looking at countermeasures. Have driven it home locked it up and started the painful process of getting a new ignition sorted and will need replacements for the trim as I am pretty fastidious with my vehicles that will really irk me. What is particularly saddening is my daughters had made some little decorations for the van which the thieves trashed - for some reason that's particularly upsetting

Very depressing I must say I work for the NHS and am changing roles so we elected to take an extended break with the children over the summer holiday and the van is quite new to us and a huge expense so adding these other elements is quite unwanted expense but clearly necessary.

In case anyone else ends up looking at this thread am collating suggestions below

• stoplok

3. OBD lock
6. Bear lock

So how did they actually get into your van in the first place, as you have not said that a window was smashed.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi

• stoplok

3. OBD lock
6. Bear lock

You stay the night before on their campsite next door. That night is included in the price at Vanbitz. There might be availability to pay for the next night but if not you’re not far from some lovely places. It’s easy to get to from London. M4 /M5 or if you really want some fun then M3 and the lovely A303 past Stonehenge. I hate Stonehenge and the sooner someone discovers it’s a fake the better :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
So how did they actually get into your van in the first place, as you have not said that a window was smashed.
I actually don't know this I couldn't see any external damage and had to get to work - the tracking company guy said the thieves would have had a bit of kit to open it fairly easily - I'll examine the van more closely when I get home to see if I have missed something as I needed to dash to work once the van was back home

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi

this one was one suggested by the tracker company - any suggestions for someone to fit ?
I don’t know anyone on hand, but, if you look for a wiring diagram for your base vehicle, locate the fuel pump fuse: pull it out and take it with you, when you want the van not to start. Mine I located it, and if I leave the van, I take the fuse with me.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My daughter had her car stolen she used a visible steering lock and had a ghost immobiliser fitted. We are changing our car and will have a ghost as well £500 but well worth it if it stops it getting stolen.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My daughter had her car stolen she used a visible steering lock and had a ghost immobiliser fitted. We are changing our car and will have a ghost as well £500 but well worth it if it stops it getting stolen.
But you just said they stole your daughters despite it having one fitted.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion it's best to remove things from the vehicle to prevent theft than to add things. The thieves are often tooled up to remove gadgets ... but I've yet to see them come carrying spare parts for a vehicle. If they can't start it they can't drive it. But any electronic alarm ,immobiliser etc can all be bypassed by the right theif.

That's why a lot of folk remove wheels or the seat from their push bike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back