Using the toilet.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
As you are probably aware, I am a complete newbie to the motorhome life. So I have a question - how do you use the toilet? This may seem strange to the experts, but having never used a chemical toilet I really do not know how it works. Do you just do what you need to do and flush? Taking into account the limited amount of water you have and the limited capacity of the cassette, I can imagine this is not the case. So please enlighten me.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Excellent point! After years of PortaPottis where I used to separate the parts outside 'van so offending not possible I hadn't thought of this issue but it is real.

Think I'll stash a long stick in the cassette cupboard & poke it up through the hole when out doing the business. With a red flag on it of course..
Many years ago.. get together in the awning of my mates caravan.. alcohol flowing freely..
Mate decided his loo needed emptying.. came back to find a flow of pee coming through hole where cassette should be..
As all inebriated red blooded males would do, he stuck his hand thru hole for a "rummage about"..
Wife's scream could be heard across the camp site and once we managed to peel her off of the toilet ceiling, she fortunately saw the funny side as the rest of us did.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Happy times!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Barriesimpson
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Many years ago.. get together in the awning of my mates caravan.. alcohol flowing freely..
Mate decided his loo needed emptying.. came back to find a flow of pee coming through hole where cassette should be..
As all inebriated red blooded males would do, he stuck his hand thru hole for a "rummage about"..
Wife's scream could be heard across the camp site and once we managed to peel her off of the toilet ceiling, she fortunately saw the funny side as the rest of us did.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Happy times!!
Just as well it was her husband 'rummaging about' I would say :LOL:

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Give it go, some folk seem to be happy with it. I only know when I disconnect the SOG pipe to drive the van with a full cassette there is bit of a whiff if I open the flap. It isn't as bad as it would be without the addition of the liquid but I couldn't live with it like that. :)
Now I’m intrigued- why do you disconnect the SOG when driving ?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
If you want to make the period between emptying don’t put toilet paper into the cassette. I, and a few others I know put all paper into dog poo bags and dispose of them.
Some of us even put the whole thing in the dog poo bag .

Never have to empty the cassette then 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Some of us even put the whole thing in the dog poo bag .

Never have to empty the cassette then 😁

Yup, after years of wild camping those ‘bog in a bag’ arrangements can work just as well when Mohoing in remote (and not so remote) areas.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Yup, after years of wild camping those ‘bog in a bag’ arrangements can work just as well when Mohoing in remote (and not so remote) areas.
I had to adopt the method the first time in Greece during covid when no sites were open and there is nowhere to empty a cassette other than burying it. And to be honest I found it to be less stressful than worrying about a cassette. I use a bottle for liquids ... easy to dispose of and dog poo bags for solids. Disposed in the bin same as the dogs. Stessfree and hassle free . And a pristine cassette

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Now I’m intrigued- why do you disconnect the SOG when driving ?
If it's getting full and you need to drive anywhere, even to the dump point, I always disconnect the pipe, which plugs into the top of the cassette.

With our van the worst case of not doing this is "stuff" getting into the pipe (done that) and potentially into the fan although I haven't managed that yet. :) Designs vary and perhaps those with roof vents won't flood the fan but ours could. :) 💩

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Out motorhome can be locked/unlucked from outside with a scredriver ... most have this as a backup ?
I though we were talking about toilet compartments, the locking thereof to prevent use being attempted while the cassette is away being emptied.. Sorry but I'm not following what you mean...

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I though we were talking about toilet compartments, the locking thereof to prevent use being attempted while the cassette is away being emptied.. Sorry but I'm not following what you mean...
He's talking about the toilet door, not the MH. 😀

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Yes the toilet door, not the MH. Ours has a flathead slot on outside to allow external unlocking or locking. You can obviously lock it from inside too using a normal knob turn on the handle.

But it is also useful to prevent inadvertant use of the loo when the cassette is being walked on a larger site to the elsan point when you are several minutes walk to/from.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Yes the toilet door, not the MH. Ours has a flathead slot on outside to allow external unlocking or locking. You can obviously lock it from inside too using a normal knob turn on the handle.

But it is also useful to prevent inadvertant use of the loo when the cassette is being walked on a larger site to the elsan point when you are several minutes walk to/from.

What

You mean the actual door inside the van to the bathroom?

Your van must be posh .. mine only has a push button knob... no lock

But then the dogs don't use the bathroom anyway so no need to lock it.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Most hilarious image I can ever remember!! 🤣🥰🤣🥰🤣

No scripted farce could do this!! 😱

Well done that man! 🤩

Thank you.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Ah but wasn't the point to do with keeping people from using the toilet sans-cassette?

My toilet door locks from inside but not from outside, and it would need to be locked from outside to prevent anyone using it.

Although this does make me think it could be worth adding an external lock with a coin slot so users have to pay for use. I get the proceeds of course to compensate for the emptying job....
🤑🤑

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If it's getting full and you need to drive anywhere, even to the dump point, I always disconnect the pipe, which plugs into the top of the cassette.

With our van the worst case of not doing this is "stuff" getting into the pipe (done that) and potentially into the fan although I haven't managed that yet. :) Designs vary and perhaps those with roof vents won't flood the fan but ours could. :) 💩
Oh, OK, ours plugs between the cassette door and the base of the cassette compartment. To be honest, not sure how it physically ineracts with the cassette itself 🤣

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
Here we go, we were all newbies once uponce a time.

I use these, already shaped, easily break down and inexpensive.

Line the loo, do a poo, wipe and open the blade. Flush it all down the ole, no streaks and jobs a good un, with minimum water 💩
View attachment 906838

View attachment 906839
We use these too. Brilliant safety net, catch all, etc!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The problem of somebody using the toilet without the cassette in can be mitigated by keeping some kitty litter in the van to absorb such spillages and prevent smells

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back