Using the toilet.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
As you are probably aware, I am a complete newbie to the motorhome life. So I have a question - how do you use the toilet? This may seem strange to the experts, but having never used a chemical toilet I really do not know how it works. Do you just do what you need to do and flush? Taking into account the limited amount of water you have and the limited capacity of the cassette, I can imagine this is not the case. So please enlighten me.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Yes, bio liquid sold for washing clothes. But we have a SOG system. I'm not sure I would use bio liquid if we had a "normally aspirated" toilet. :)
So ours isn't aspirated at all, does that mean I should ignore this & stick with chemicals?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So ours isn't aspirated at all, does that mean I should ignore this & stick with chemicals?
Give it go, some folk seem to be happy with it. I only know when I disconnect the SOG pipe to drive the van with a full cassette there is bit of a whiff if I open the flap. It isn't as bad as it would be without the addition of the liquid but I couldn't live with it like that. :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
If Im about to do a number 2 I actually line the bowl with single pieces of toilet roll, it tends to stop the bowl being stained and reduces the amount of cleaning of the bowl after, when I feel it's coming to an end, I open the latch and let it all slide down accompanied by a quick flush of water. Don't leave it too long though before opening the latch .....it has become a fine art getting it just right ..
Buy those Happy Bowl liners!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

No. Bio washing powder is fine, we get no smells other than what the Bio contains. NB In europe it is not labelled Bio - one has to look on ingredients for 'Enzyme' but most are.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
14 years with an RV
This has been an eye opener for me! I have never had, or used, a cassette toilet. I've always had US RV's with large capacity holding tanks, gravity dump through a 3 inch pipe, or macerator pump.

Craig

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
This has been an eye opener for me! I have never had, or used, a cassette toilet. I've always had US RV's with large capacity holding tanks, gravity dump through a 3 inch pipe, or macerator pump.

Craig
You've not lived until you've emptied a poo box :rofl:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Please put your 2 penny worth in. It will help some of us to understand the issues you face. And encourage others that may need advice and support
I won't be too graphic but a heck of a lot more convenient 😁
Please put your 2 penny worth in. It will help some of us to understand the issues you face. And encourage others that may need advice and support

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Interested to know why some don't put loo roll in cassette..
We do and never have had any issues.. paper always breaks down into a liquid and emptys out very easy....!
However understand this may be more to do with personal preferance !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
All this talk of products to line toilet bowls?

Do the same people do the same lining at home?

We have a brush handy at home and in the MH. Are we strange?
Our current 'van is the first we've had with a built-in toilet so I bought it a plastic brush & holder as a lightweight version of what we have at home.
That was two+ yrs ago. Last week, still in it's factory-fresh shrink-wrap, I donated it to charity shop as it was just wasting space... 😇

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
When I was little it was only 1p per pee. Inflation obviously.. ☹️

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I don't get this pressure build up in the cassette. When I slide ours in, a little "bump", for want of a better word, pushes on and opens the pressure relief valve. Am I missing something? (And no, we don't get any pong).

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I don't get this pressure build up in the cassette. When I slide ours in, a little "bump", for want of a better word, pushes on and opens the pressure relief valve. Am I missing something? (And no, we don't get any pong).

Me neither but as I have a Sog system, I wondered if the other type differ?

Even then, I think there must be something wrong if it leads to an explosion! 😱

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
From what I have seen that "little bump" is part of Thetford's toilet fitted with their version of a SOG with a filter and fan under the floor. If you have not got that the floor on the cassette is fitted flush so it remains sealed.

Both of our motorhomes had the Thetford under floor fan fitted and in both cases I did not realise it was there until I started using the toilet.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Johnen
One important point thats being missed is to open the blade first before lifting lid, in case there is any pressure buildup in the cassette. Don’t ask me how I found this out!!

All Thetford cassettes have a pressure relief valve ..

if your cassette builds up pressure it's either blocked.. or faulty

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
with a bit of practice you can get a bullseye .. ..no mess on the bowl ..

Bullseye GIF by Keith Urban

I still have the scene from the Dambusters film where the two lights come together in my head ...

1718046807866.png

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Another important thing to note (although we may be moving on to advanced toileting here), and not, I must stress, from personal experience.

When you are taking the cassette out to be emptied, make absolutely sure that everyone else in your motorhome knows that you are doing so.

Not only will you get the kudos for doing it, but there won't be any 'presents' waiting for you in the vacant cassette space when you return!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
When you are taking the cassette out to be emptied, make absolutely sure that everyone else in your motorhome knows that you are doing so.
Excellent point! After years of PortaPottis where I used to separate the parts outside 'van so offending not possible I hadn't thought of this issue but it is real.

Think I'll stash a long stick in the cassette cupboard & poke it up through the hole when out doing the business. With a red flag on it of course..

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Is it just us who keep bio washing liquid in van for washing clothes, but for a backup too if we run out of Green fluid (we prefer the smell of the real stuff).

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Excellent point! After years of PortaPottis where I used to separate the parts outside 'van so offending not possible I hadn't thought of this issue but it is real.

Think I'll stash a long stick in the cassette cupboard & poke it up through the hole when out doing the business. With a red flag on it of course..
Can you not just lock the door? 🤔

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Can you not just lock the door? 🤔
Not the way ours works. You go in the toilet compartment (aka bathroom!) to use it and outside the 'van to empty it. The only way to lock the door is from inside, but then you can't empty.

Not seen a vehicle where you lock the door any other way but always interested to learn...

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Not the way ours works. You go in the toilet compartment (aka bathroom!) to use it and outside the 'van to empty it. The only way to lock the door is from inside, but then you can't empty.

Not seen a vehicle where you lock the door any other way but always interested to learn...
Out motorhome can be locked/unlucked from outside with a scredriver ... most have this as a backup ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The one matter that has not been covered in this discussion: Some people use the facilities at campsites for solid waste using the MoHo loo solely for urine. The toilet block after all is part of what you will have paid for.

P.S. Thanks for the mention of silicone spray. I will go and get some!!

Chris
Silicone spray is a motorhome essential. Not just for the loo but lubricating practically everything. Don't use wd40 or any mineral oil on plastics.
To give a nice slippy surface to your loo bowl, periodically give it a shine with car wax.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back