Using Electroblock EBL 30 for Lithium Charging Queries

G-A-R-Y

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
So, I've done a lot of research with regards to using this unit and changing leisure battery to Lithium.

As I understand (confirmed by apuljack) the unit can be used in Gel setting to charge Lithium batteries for short periods of time (whilst on hook up) but not for longer times like overwintering due to the high float voltage. On hookup EBL 30 would still trickle charge the engines AGM too but on the GEL setting?

Would this do harm to engines AGM? Can this be disabled with fuse removal?

I can/will add solar/controller with Lithium specific charge settings for when off hookup, I think that will work OK??

The only problem I see is when the engine is running, it's not possible to disable engine charging/linking of leisure battery, Apuljack tell me the unit will have to go back to them to have this disabled. A simple fuse removal is not possible.

If we buy a Hymer with the Electroblock battery booster the problem should be solved as this unit has a Lithium setting.

Help and advice please.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've avoided all of these issues - 3 yr old Hymer with standard factory set up and 3 X AGM 95ah by adding in a BOS LE300 lithium extension battery. Took me 30 mins to fit, no adjustments or alterations to anything else. Works very well - just enjoyed a 15 day tour of Scottish Highlands with on 4 nights spent on campsites with EHU. I don't think I saw my batteries drop below 13v the whole time.

View attachment 866499
13v is down to 30% so getting pretty low.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
13v is down to 30% so getting pretty low.
The 13v was the voltage of main battery bank of the AGMs - onboard computer showing SOC above 75%. Not sure where the 30% comes from?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
30% on lithium is 13v.
Accepted - on my set up, the Lithium extension battery takes the heavy lifting and the existing AGM bank acts as a reserve only kicking in when the LE is depleted. I don't even bother to monitor the LE SOC - I just begin to take account of what's going on once the AGM battery bank gets put to work. With some solar input (2x 160w panels) I've managed 4 full winter days off grid in the Alps without needing to drive or plug into mains.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Easy pull the 50 amp fuse by the starter batter or disconnect the starter battery cable from the EBL.
Lenny - does that mean I still have to physically leave the Schaudt Booster (DC to DC) in place with 50 amp fuse removed, to maintain the wiring connection between the EBL and the starter battery? I am replacing it with an alternative DC to DC as part of my new set up and was wondering whether the Schaudt could be removed.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
A problem with a generic question about usiing the EBL 30 is that different converters wire them up in their own way.

For example, many of the answers on here are wrong for the specific way Hymer have wired the EBL 30 on our 2022 Exsis-i

A particular point is that Exsis-i 580 fridge runs directly off the leisure battery (no connection to the EBL 30) whilst drving. (wiith an assumption made that the leisure battery will be on charge from the engine). Again Hymer Exsis-i 580 does not charge the leisure batttery via the EBL. whilst driving, but does use the EBL on hookup (and solar)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Lenny - does that mean I still have to physically leave the Schaudt Booster (DC to DC) in place with 50 amp fuse removed, to maintain the wiring connection between the EBL and the starter battery? I am replacing it with an alternative DC to DC as part of my new set up and was wondering whether the Schaudt could be removed.
Udo Lang at Schaudt told me I could leave the Schaudt 1212-25 Booster working normally and have my new B2B working in parallel but wired direct to the leisure battery. I now get 70A+ charging, 20A+ from the Schaudt through the EBL and 50A from the Victron direct into the leisure battery. Works a treat.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back