Upgrading to lithium advice please. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
VSR really not a good idea with a lifepo4. Most will empty your lithium in to the starter battery to a significantly depleted level. he lithium sits above the activation level and link both batteries with amps flowing in the direction you do not want.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So, for seven years I had 2x 100ah basic lead acid batteries coupled with 120w solar via a PWM controller.
Worked perfectly, was adequate for my needs. No hair dryer, no bikes. Just lights, TV, WiFi and USB charging.
When I killed these aged batteries earlier this year. I considered lithium.
I was lead to believe my existing charging system would be adequate but not optimal.
But my fitters wouldn't risk it. The quote for 280ah lithium and associated bits was over £1500.
Discussion suggested I actually didn't need lithium and fitting 2x 100ah gels would actually give me extra capacity for a quarter of the cost (probably 40% after upgrading the solar controller)

So do you need lithium, or just want it?
Good points there...not everyone needs a Lithium set-up, for example those who are happy to hook up with an occasional night without..
On the other hand....those...like ourselves who do not hook up and are self contained...to add to this we are heavy users, being daily eBike riders...therefore Lithium has turned out to be a game changer for us....and we are upgrading just now to even more usable amps...😃🇪🇺

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We second the above. We are moving to Lithium and his advice so far has been carefully thought through based on what we will be using it for. We are putting in a new MPPT, B2B, Multiplus Inverter and Battery Monitor. I am relatively handy at this sort of thing but decided I just don’t know enough. I also got a second opinion before booking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Got an email from UPS advising that our second Roamer Lithium battery will be here this afternoon....I've prepared the van, the drivers seat is out...cables made up..let's see how long this final addition takes...I've got gus-lopez on standby...but I think I've managed the hardest parts...
I will disconnect the original Lithium for now and run with the new 230ah so it gets fully charged...as per the advice received...when both batteries are at 100% 1 shall connect them and see how they behave...each battery will have its own BMS and separate Roamer apps....the Victron smartshunt should give me an accumulative readout...

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Got an email from UPS advising that our second Roamer Lithium battery will be here this afternoon....I've prepared the van, the drivers seat is out...cables made up..let's see how long this final addition takes...I've got gus-lopez on standby...but I think I've managed the hardest parts...
I will disconnect the original Lithium for now and run with the new 230ah so it gets fully charged...as per the advice received...when both batteries are at 100% 1 shall connect them and see how they behave...each battery will have its own BMS and separate Roamer apps....the Victron smartshunt should give me an accumulative readout..
Sounds good, I assume the first battery is 230ah as well? From memory you didn’t find that to be enough on your travels? Was that because you used the inverter to charge the bike batteries quite a bit?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just a "non lithium" update:
Completed 4 nights off grid, batteries never went below 84% and were fully recharged by the 120w solar panel by mid morning.

So don't assume that the expense of going lithium is necessarily your only option.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Yes we did three days comfortably so
Just a "non lithium" update:
Completed 4 nights off grid, batteries never went below 84% and were fully recharged by the 120w solar panel by mid morning.

So don't assume that the expense of going lithium is necessarily your only option.
I take your point we have just done three days without EHU comfortably. So agree it is not automatically a better option given cost.

But we are now on a site so we can charge batteries on PC and bikes whereas with lithium we will soon have an inverter. Also the weather has been very good so the solar has been very efficient. Our lead acid battery is also four years old so will be starting to degrade. These are the things that swung it for us.

We’ll still use sites for a bit of R&R but when we want to rather than needing to because we want to recharge.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have the same make of controller and a KS lithium been in van for over 2y and been fine, just set the controller to Gel setting
But it is an appalling, inefficient regulator

There’s a post somewhere where I set up four identical panels so I could run simultaneous tests

The difference was eye opening

The range surprised me 4.9amps top Victron Blue Solar, and just under two amps, being the worst, the one the OP has

Many time my customers on a limited budget were advised to upgrade their regulator rather than adding extra panels

Cheap regulators may work, in the same way a bucket with a hole in ‘will work’

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi all,need a bit of help, thinking of fitting lithium battery, but have been told I need to fit a VSR (voltage sensitive relay), to replace what is in van at the moment. Is this correct, and where is it likely to be situated. We have a 2006 Mohican 2.8ltr.
VSR are a cheap bodge used by people who either don’t understand what they’re doing, or, are lazy (normally both!)

Install a VSR, install a dual output regulator or fit a Battery Master to keep the engine battery topped up, the VSR see’s charging voltage and energises, closing the circuit putting everything in parallel with the relay consumption often as great as the solar charge!

All so they don’t have to run a wire to alternator or fit a B2B

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sounds good, I assume the first battery is 230ah as well? From memory you didn’t find that to be enough on your travels? Was that because you used the inverter to charge the bike batteries quite a bit?
Hi...we are heavy users of the recharging of eBikes...out current lithium is adequate...but we want to travel with different options...
Therefore we are doubling our capacity to enable us to use various electric appliances...mainly cooking..for two main reasons going electric is what we need..
Generally speaking during our summers it's too hot to cook inside the van and secondly Fire restrictions prohibit the use of naked flames in the countryside..not only this but many Camperstops allow parking of MHs far too close to each other....it would be very inconsiderate and somewhat dangerous to use a gas appliance in this restricted situation..
For average Motorhomers 230ah is perfectly adequate....but we need to recharge eBikes daily, in cloudless sky's this is fine...but dull or rainy days this could be challenging..
I bet you wished you hadn't asked..🤔🇪🇺

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Hi...we are heavy users of the recharging of eBikes...out current lithium is adequate...but we want to travel with different options...
Therefore we are doubling our capacity to enable us to use various electric appliances...mainly cooking..for two main reasons going electric is what we need..
Generally speaking during our summers it's too hot to cook inside the van and secondly Fire restrictions prohibit the use of naked flames in the countryside..not only this but many Camperstops allow parking of MHs far too close to each other....it would be very inconsiderate and somewhat dangerous to use a gas appliance in this restricted situation..
For average Motorhomers 230ah is perfectly adequate....but we need to recharge eBikes daily, in cloudless sky's this is fine...but dull or rainy days this could be challenging..
I bet you wished you hadn't asked..🤔🇪🇺
No O am grateful for the detailed reply. I hadn’t thought about the vans close together and our Cadac. We don’t need to recharge bikes every day but certainly every two or three, the same with the PC. We are going for 290ah, which sounds like it will be enough from what you have said.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No O am grateful for the detailed reply. I hadn’t thought about the vans close together and our Cadac. We don’t need to recharge bikes every day but certainly every two or three, the same with the PC. We are going for 290ah, which sounds like it will be enough from what you have said.
We are 100% off grid....I imagine the 290ah would serve you well..
A important factor is getting power back into the battery....either by DC2DC or by Solar, for us being in Spain 365 days it's not challenging other than we choose to put the van out of the summer heat...then the larger capacity batteries and a portable solar panel provides well....😀🇪🇦

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We are 100% off grid....I imagine the 290ah would serve you well..
A important factor is getting power back into the battery....either by DC2DC or by Solar, for us being in Spain 365 days it's not challenging other than we choose to put the van out of the summer heat...then the larger capacity batteries and a portable solar panel provides well....😀🇪🇦
The plan is for us to have both. We already have solar and don’t want to as any more due to weight, so we took as a Victron DC2DC.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
if you ask nicely he might pay for it as well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Haha. We did in fact get the lithium package from Consort as we only had less than 4 weeks before collecting van and heading off on our 2 month trip to Romania, Bulgaria and back up the Danube to its source. We had our daughters wedding in the middle!

We have had hookup available but haven’t always used it to see how it worked. We have had 3 days with cloudy weather and one of heavy rain, the hookup was 3A so not good so didn’t use it. The first proper test. It dropped to 69% . The sun came out and it shot back up!

We’re in Bulgaria now but Romania was amazing.

Everything has proper names except the MPPT controller which is unbranded and Chinese.

Loving the van. Hope I haven’t jinxed it. Fingers crossed and touching wood.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back