TV Licence if out of UK for 10 weeks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
How do those without a licence know if they don't want to watch, listen or surf the content requiring a licence. There's some fantastic stuff they are missing out on 🤷

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How do those without a licence know if they don't want to watch, listen or surf the content requiring a licence. There's some fantastic stuff they are missing out on 🤷
Depends on your/their definition of fantastic! 😄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have a friend who has lived in a house he bought about 25 years ago
He does not have a TV.
He has never had a TV.
(Nor did he have a computer, a smart phone or WiFi until his company paid to have it all installed and delivered during the pandemic)
To be frank, I think the only reason he has electricity is because it came with the house.

He gets yearly letters from the TV Licencing authority chasing the TV licence.
He makes a point of replying that he does not have a TV.
Over the years he must have had a dozen visits from the TV licencing authorities looking for the TV.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sounds a little like a burglars charter tell the BBC your house is empty for 10 week's just asking for a friend 🤔
similar years ago to one of my banks stating that you had to tell them if "your cc was going to be used outside the uk & what dates" ???????? Really? They weren't too happy when I pointed out that all it took was one of there employee's to be forwarding empty house info.:LOL:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
It used to be travel agents who knew you was going away but couldn't garentee the property would be empty, but tell someone that the property would be empty for 10 weeks first the activate the alarm leave a week return do it again until the neighbours get fed up with it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
You may find this interesting; you can even write to them and tell em they are not allowed on your property!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I do entertain myself with a bit of channel hopping when staying in hotels for work, but these days with subscription services and YouTube etc I really don't miss it.

In fact, the odd occasion when I do get the 'pleasure' of watching live TV it normally reinforces my choice not to pay for it at home :D

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
He makes a point of replying that he does not have a TV.
I did that once, then realised it was a futile exercise and haven't bothered since

Over the years he must have had a dozen visits from the TV licencing authorities looking for the TV.
Probably because he engages with them to say he doesn't have one!

That, or there's a good chip shop next door but one!

Fifteen years, not one visit for me (no decent chip shops locally either)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I did that once, then realised it was a futile exercise and haven't bothered since

Probably because he engages with them to say he doesn't have one!

That, or there's a good chip shop next door but one!

Fifteen years, not one visit for me (no decent chip shops locally either)
I suspect he likes wasting their time!

Every time he returns the letter to say he does not have a TV someone has to deal with the record
And each biannual visit is a waste of somebodies time.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
There was a time when they sent prepaid envelopes for you to send a cheque (yes, that long ago!) for your licence back to them.

I confess to having removed any personally identifiable information from the threatening letter they'd sent and posting back the torn remnants to them at their expense in the past!

I've mellowed since then and these days I simply pop their regular missives straight into the recycling.

However, I am surprised that they are allowed to send such menacing correspondence. Any other organisation would be taken to task for intimidation or something. I also object in the strongest terms as no other organisation that requires a licence for something I don't have, own or use has the right to pester me relentlessly about it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wrong.
The 'enforcement' officer is just a civilian with a badge in everyday clothes.
They have no authority to issue anything, let alone a court summons.
Just tell them to go away

Over the video doorbell.....

"You want to come in and check? You'll have the paperwork to allow that then as I'm not inviting you in and if you force the issue I will let the police know I am a vulnerable person who has an intruder in the house."

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
You don't even need to do that.

You can simply tell them that their implied right of access onto the property has been removed (this covers things like allowing the postie to deliver letters etc). They can't set a single foot on the property without explicit legal paperwork without the implied right of access.

I think the less you engage with them and the less you tell them or confirm to them, the better. They know their rights and from what I've seen of other people's experiences they'll simply move on to the next person.

That's my plan should they ever bother to come and check. Confirm nothing (not even your name Pike!) and send them packing.

The amount of hateful mail they've sent me over fifteen years I'm going to make them work hard and spend lots of time and money before they can come into my house only to find they've wasted that time and money....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back