Truma dis-appreciation society (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
I had a Truma D6E Next Generation fitted to my van for 6 months - it was very temperamental- you had to be careful how to power it down, I got several strange error messages about “unexpected values”, it sooted up for no reason, the fuel pump was very loud and it dribbled condensate down the outside of van. I was reduced to carrying the expensive diagnostic unit arround with me just in case it locked me out after 20 errors. However it did heat the van and water quickly!

Then I replaced it with the original older model - super quiet, no error messages, no dribbles down the side of van - good old Truma just works well. Not as fast at heating the water and uses a bit more power on electric hook up.

Best up (down) grade I have done! Apparently the guts of the old model was made by Eberspacher but during Covid Truma went ahead and designed there own next generation one.
I'm having similar major problem with my Truma DE, now in full lock out, and looking options, can I ask where did you buy your original older model from and how did you make sure it was the older model and not the next generation model ?

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I think I paid more than £50 for my AVS30, and bought from a reputable supplier, and I'm happy with mine. I did a quick Google to give an idea of price but wasn't aware there is a problem with inferior counterfeit versions, so would encourage people to only buy from reputable suppliers.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I havent read other posts so it may have been mentioned
If you recently paid £50 for an AVS30 it is very likely to be a chinese counterfit/copy and not genuine even a fire hazard
I have had the unfortunate pleasure of having bought one and they are quite different internally
I just checked and I bought my AVS30 from Sollatek UK via Amazon for £79.99.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Unfortunately I doubt the designers at Truma will ever see this thread. I doubt they have ever even been in a Motorhome. They would never believe that you could plug into a Moroccan socket and only receive 190 volts let alone Spain or France electrics!
We took the decision after the Birmingham Motorhome show two years ago, that everything was bling and electronics and nothing was quality build.
My 2012 Hymer is, I think, the last of the good Hymers so have decided to keep it and spend money modernising it with Lithiam, full air, New alloys etc. Unfortunately now we are back in Blighty I am a bit worried about the dreaded English metal rot. I need to keep ahead of that but the thought of lying underneath with a WaxOil gun at 75 disturbs me a bit.

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Not entirely sure if this will fall foul of the 'review section only' rule but is anyone else really starting to hate Truma?

My boiler packed in a few months back, it was built when they made them good so lasted many many years. I thought for a long time on what to replace it with and despite numerous threads on here stating various fault codes being received I still decided to go with them and had their 4E fitted.

The thing is constantly throwing up fault codes. The fitters have been great and have me back round for anything they can do to help but these new boilers just seem to be over sensitive. Air lock?... fault code... connect to hook up? ... fault code.... disconnect from hook up? .... fault code.

To add balance I should add that after the initial errors, it has worked perfectly on gas only. But now I am plugged in for some reason it is throwing a hissy fit.

Discontinue spare parts and force the customer to buy new. Issue is their new units seem absolute garbage.

Anyone else had bother with them?
Totally agree, I should never have had the gas/electric version fitted. The electric elements fail every time. Been there before and should have known better. ☹️☹️

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Having recently had an Eberspacher diesel heater fitted should I ever invest in another vehicle it will be diesel for the hot water and the cooking as well. No more Truma for me.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Yes locking you out is the most annoying aspect! If it sees multiple errors with the fuel heater (even if they seem spurious) it locks you out completely so no heating at all not even on electric. Then you need a £600 diagnostic unit to reset count and get it going again!

I don’t have any recommendations on where to get the original version - a quick internet search seems to bring up several options. The old unit is a similar size so was easy to fit in the space it took a few hours to switch over units.

Good luck.

Jun 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Yes locking you out is the most annoying aspect! If it sees multiple errors with the fuel heater (even if they seem spurious) it locks you out completely so no heating at all not even on electric. Then you need a £600 diagnostic unit to reset count and get it going again!

I don’t have any recommendations on where to get the original version - a quick internet search seems to bring up several options. The old unit is a similar size so was easy to fit in the space it took a few hours to switch over units.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back