Troubleshooting KS Energy Lithium Leisure Battery Discharge (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
the KS energy app is very clunky at best I found, you have to keep opening and closing it
but if your engine is running on those screenshots above, you are not getting any input from the b2b at all.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
the KS energy app is very clunky at best I found, you have to keep opening and closing it
but if your engine is running on those screenshots above, you are not getting any input from the b2b at all.
You have to go into the cells part then press disconnect and it's fine.

OP
OP
helzie2020
Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
I have a Sterling B2B, similar to the OP's B2B, except that the input is 70A at about 12V but the output is suitable for charging a 48V battery bank. Some aspects of the setup are exactly the same, I think.

It is important when setting up the B2B that it is triggered by the D+ signal from the alternator. However this is not the default behaviour, and if you did a factory reset then the D+ triggering will need to be set up again (the default mode is a voltage trigger level, which is problematic with smart alternators). The green stripe across the front panel tells me that the firmware upgrade to enable D+ triggering has been implemented.

The procedure for setting it into the D+ triggering mode is detailed in the manual, and involves multiple presses of the flaky SETUP/ENTER and SELECT keys for the defined number of seconds. Very tedious and prone to error. Looking on the bright side, it only needs to be done once. Unless someone does a factory reset, of course.

The manual breezily suggests that the B2B will work fine straight out of the box, but that's not true if it's a smart alternator.

I can't see anything in the manual about triggering by the D+ signal.

There is a section about two operational modes: Default and Ignition Feed Mode. Is this what you mean?

I can see that we do have a line to the ignition feed on the B2B so presumably we should be using Ignition Feed Mode but I can't see how to change to that in the instruction manual.

We did another factory reset this morning and made sure that we selected the LiFePO4 charging profile. Everything seemed to be set up correctly as the various LEDs lit up as described in the manual. However, we didn't do anything about changing from Default to Ignition Feed Mode.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On Page 7 of my manual, 'Guide To Buttons' table, there is something they call 'Pure Ignition Mode'. The B2B turns on when the voltage on that 'Ignition' wire exceeds about 12V, and turns off when it is less than about 12V. It will ignore any voltage rise in the starter battery voltage, which in a in a complex system like a motorhome could be caused by solar charging the starter battery etc. Also a smart alternator dials back the voltage when the starter battery is partly charged, and this voltage drop would cause the B2B to turn off if the voltage sensitive mode was used. Pure Ignition Mode ensures the B2B is definitely on when the engine is running, and definitely off when the engine stops, as required.

It looks like you have to press the SETUP/ENTER button for 'more than 40 seconds'. And if you release it inadvertently after 30 to 40 seconds it goes into 'OEM Lock Mode', and you have to repeat the procedure to get it out of OEM Lock - so be careful.

Just to clear up the difference between the D+ and the Ignition: when you turn on the key, the dash lights come on - that's the Ignition. When the engine starts, the alternator light goes off - that's the D+. It's best to trigger the B2B from the D+ rather than the Ignition, to ensure that the alternator is definitely on and producing charge when the B2B gets turned on. That's probably how it's wired already, people often confuse the Ignition and D+.

It's easy to check that with a meter, if you have one starting the engine and one looking at the meter to see when the voltage rises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
helzie2020
Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
On Page 7 of my manual, 'Guide To Buttons' table, there is something they call 'Pure Ignition Mode'. The B2B turns on when the voltage on that 'Ignition' wire exceeds about 12V, and turns off when it is less than about 12V. It will ignore any voltage rise in the starter battery voltage, which in a in a complex system like a motorhome could be caused by solar charging the starter battery etc. Also a smart alternator dials back the voltage when the starter battery is partly charged, and this voltage drop would cause the B2B to turn off if the voltage sensitive mode was used. Pure Ignition Mode ensures the B2B is definitely on when the engine is running, and definitely off when the engine stops, as required.

It looks like you have to press the SETUP/ENTER button for 'more than 40 seconds'. And if you release it inadvertently after 30 to 40 seconds it goes into 'OEM Lock Mode', and you have to repeat the procedure to get it out of OEM Lock - so be careful.

Just to clear up the difference between the D+ and the Ignition: when you turn on the key, the dash lights come on - that's the Ignition. When the engine starts, the alternator light goes off - that's the D+. It's best to trigger the B2B from the D+ rather than the Ignition, to ensure that the alternator is definitely on and producing charge when the B2B gets turned on. That's probably how it's wired already, people often confuse the Ignition and D+.

It's easy to check that with a meter, if you have one starting the engine and one looking at the meter to see when the voltage rises.

Okay, I see that row in the table now.

Do I need the engine running to do those 40+ presses of the blue SETUP/ENTER button to enable pure ignition mode? Or is it enough to wake the BB from sleep mode by pressing either button?

Do I need to do another factory reset, then go into the initial set up mode to choose lithium again before I put the BB into pure ignition mode?

Thanks very much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do I need the engine running to do those 40+ presses of the blue SETUP/ENTER button to enable pure ignition mode? Or is it enough to wake the BB from sleep mode by pressing either button?
I don't think you need the engine running to do the setup. And it's not 40+ presses, it's one continuous press for 40+ seconds.

And if you let go accidentally after 30 seconds that will send it into OEM Lock mode, and you'll have to do another 30+ seconds to get it out of OEM Lock before you can alter any more settings. You'll notice that the button backlight comes on while you are pressing the button, so if you watch that, it helps you decide if it's been one continuous press or not. As I said, tedious and error-prone.

Do I need to do another factory reset, then go into the initial set up mode to choose lithium again before I put the BB into pure ignition mode?
I don't think another factory reset is necessary to set up the Pure Ignition Mode.

OP
OP
helzie2020
Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
I don't think you need the engine running to do the setup. And it's not 40+ presses, it's one continuous press for 40+ seconds.

And if you let go accidentally after 30 seconds that will send it into OEM Lock mode, and you'll have to do another 30+ seconds to get it out of OEM Lock before you can alter any more settings. You'll notice that the button backlight comes on while you are pressing the button, so if you watch that, it helps you decide if it's been one continuous press or not. As I said, tedious and error-prone.

I don't think another factory reset is necessary to set up the Pure Ignition Mode.
Great, thanks. We’ll give that a try in the morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back