Treading Carefully (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
I dont own one yet
Hello to everyone out there on your adventures ! I am a single retired lady 66 and contemplating buying a Motor Home and going on an adventure while I am still fit and able .Always loved the idea but never been brave enough to do it but im doing a lot of firsts at the moment so with some Manifestation and Meditation lol this might materialise .I would consider being a travel buddy to see if its right for me first ? Any advice is gladly accepted :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Unfortunately you are not likely to be able to buddy up with someone using their MH. However, I would say be brave and just go for it yourself then join in rallies and Caravan and Camping club temporary holiday sites where you can meet people and start to make friendships for travelling.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
Good idea to dip your toe in the water before investing in your own m/home.
It might be useful to give a clue where you are based - at least the county.
Quite a few solos on Fun and there's a section here:

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
:hiya:
Unfortunately you are not likely to be able to buddy up with someone using their MH. However, I would say be brave and just go for it yourself then join in rallies and Caravan and Camping club temporary holiday sites where you can meet people and start to make friendships for travelling.
Hi Annie why not if someone offers

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Annie why not if someone offers
Well, we have had people come on before looking for someone to share a MH with - I don’t think it is likely amongst our regular readers and posters. Travelling with own MH for mutual support is different. I certainly would not offer to share with a stranger or really anyone that I don’t have to share with 🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Welcome to Fun, you may be lucky and find a travelling companion to travel with but why not hire a Camper or Motorhome, depending on how confident you are driving a big vehicle. That will give you a chance to see if you will like the lifestyle. It is not for everyone. I have been camping since I was 3 months old , tents, caravans, trailer tent, beaten up old transits with a mattress, Fiat 850 pop top and various Motorhomes I am now 75. I luckily found a wife who likes it as much as me 51 years ago.
As others have said it is well worth subscribing so you can ask as many questions as you like. Most times you get great answers very quickly. There are a few jokers on here so sometimes you get silly answers but that is all the fun, don’t take them to heart.
There is a great YouTube channel called Camper Vibe, that is two ladies who built their own camper. They are really funny and it is worth watching their earlier ones to see how they have learned so much. And how they travel around.
Once again WELCOME we hope to “see” a lot more of you.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Tom And Jerry Hello GIF by Max

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Hello, Good Evening, and Welcome, as Mr Frost used to say.
You are now on THE best Motorhome site on the planet.
Keep us informed of your progress.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and a warm welcome to the world of Fun 🤩

Make sure you read through Jim’s buyers guide and it should help you choose wisely.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Oooo very exciting for you, i would definately hire before you buy, so you understand what you like and dont like
Good luck

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I would recommend renting vans to give you a feel for it, if you are unsure if it is your thing, possibly even try out different types and sizes, to ensure you are happy with the vehicle size and style.

For instance our first van had a cab over bed, a great idea for saving space, but both of us found it a bit too much for our creeky bones, especially if you neen to visit the loo in the middle of the night.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There is a great YouTube channel called Camper Vibe, that is two ladies who built their own camper. They are really funny and it is worth watching their earlier ones to see how they have learned so much. And how they travel around.

Welcome to the Fun House

I used to watch the 'girls' but their constant 'smuttiness' got very childish, somewhat tedious and off putting, which is a shame as they did some useful (but very much click bait) videos

However, back to the OP .. my first suggestion would be too visit as many dealers as you can and get a general feel for what you would be comfortable in, do you really want to start making a bed every night and putting it away again every morning? Will a bed made of cushions be as comfortable as a permanent bed with decent mattress? What toilet/shower facilities do you need, do you want a toilet that's enclosed in a permanent washroom/shower room or one that stows away in a cupboard?

My point being, that if you don't sleep well and don't enjoy the additional steps in getting in and out of 'sleeping mode', then it will dampen your enthusiasm to travel far and wide.

I also think that as suggested, renting should be your first steps in sampling motorhomes/ campers - take a look on the Goboony website - and try a few different ones over a few days at reasonable prices.

When (not if!) you decide to buy, make sure you read the motorhome fun guide to buying a previously loved motorhome/camper.

Best wishes for your new adventures

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back