Travel with water in tanks. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Hi all,
Can anyone confirm as to wether it is safe to travel with tank full of half full? I'm wondering if the tank is constructed to withstand the forces and the weight of all that swishing water. Or should I be travelling empty and filling up at sites? It's an Elddis 194 btw.
I have looked at the Elddis website and there is a recommendation not to travel with water, but no reason given as to why. It just seems a bit daft if we're traveling for a few days without using designated sites.
Many thanks.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Today we head to Cleveland for a couple of nights. I’ve 75% filled (about 75L) as we are not using sites and I have no idea where I might get water. Will it be dangerous? I don’t think so. Will I use more fuel? Perhaps. Next trip we are heading to Northumbria starting on a CCC site at Beadnell. We’ll leave home empty, it’s about a 3 hour drive so I don’t think we’ll die of water shortage and if we need a loo well there’s plenty up the A1. Might save a few pennies on fuel and certainly save on the water as we are on a meter. It has to be down to individual circumstances.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Today we head to Cleveland for a couple of nights. I’ve 75% filled (about 75L) as we are not using sites and I have no idea where I might get water. Will it be dangerous? I don’t think so. Will I use more fuel? Perhaps. Next trip we are heading to Northumbria starting on a CCC site at Beadnell. We’ll leave home empty, it’s about a 3 hour drive so I don’t think we’ll die of water shortage and if we need a loo well there’s plenty up the A1. Might save a few pennies on fuel and certainly save on the water as we are on a meter. It has to be down to individual circumstances.
That sounds like the sort of plan that I would have, like more than a plan than those that have a plan that says "I never go anywhere without being 100% full"

Fill the tank according to your trip.

With respect to the OPs comments and comments re Hymer - I only have a lowly Carado (made by Hymer). However there is a good chance the operating instructions for Hymers/Sunlights/Detheffs are similar. No mention of not being suitable for travelling full, just advice on gross weight considerations and the function of the drain to 20% knob

1721139245052.png

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That sounds like the sort of plan that I would have, like more than a plan than those that have a plan that says "I never go anywhere without being 100% full"

Fill the tank according to your trip.
But I never have a plan, only a loose agenda So I always fill and empty everything appropriately

I guess if we were the type of people that left home and drove to the safety of a caravan site we would probably not bother filling up, but, then at that point I'd probably consider a caravan as the spirit of freedom is lost and gone! Dignitas follows shortly after that direction in my opinion

We have a vague idea which direction we travel and if something interesting along the way piques our interest, we stop and investigate

So it goes without saying that there is no way on God's earth that we would by from a converter that either couldn't use suitable fixings to make it safe to travel with the water tank that they fitted, nor would I buy any conversion (remember your all driving converted vans designed as delivery vans,) that the pay load was so poor I couldn't actually use the van without making for us, massive compromises

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
But I never have a plan, only a loose agenda So I always fill and empty everything appropriately

I guess if we were the type of people that left home and drove to the safety of a caravan site we would probably not bother filling up, but, then at that point I'd probably consider a caravan as the spirit of freedom is lost and gone! Dignitas follows shortly after that direction in my opinion

We have a vague idea which direction we travel and if something interesting along the way piques our interest, we stop and investigate

So it goes without saying that there is no way on God's earth that we would by from a converter that either couldn't use suitable fixings to make it safe to travel with the water tank that they fitted, nor would I buy any conversion (remember your all driving converted vans designed as delivery vans,) that the pay load was so poor I couldn't actually use the van without making for us, massive compromises
Beauty of life, we are all wired different. Love to camp offsite as I get the feeling I’m getting the full use of the van and there are some fantastic locations. Like to use sites as well, as generally they make me feel more chilled. Sometimes a site makes more sense such as when we go to Northumbria. I’m meeting up with an old school friend. They don’t have a Motorhome so are staying in a hotel at Seahouses. The campsite is the nearest we can get to them. They’re only there for the weekend, we’ll stay out longer. Each to their own but I find a loose/ flexible plan has always worked for us.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Oh we love sites too, I actually prefer them, but over the years the number of sites we arrived at and looked at each other, you know the type full of riff raff, full of Morello's ;) Actually not Morello's they are normally parked on the big dusty car park down the road as they either can't get onto the site, too big. or can't afford it after selling the house and cashing in the endowment to buy one to "live in" But I digress, you arrive at a site and it doesn't look "quite right" if fully serviced you can move on with no worries

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

There is nothing to suggest that our tank is not safe to carry 100litres. I think it's all about the calculation of the MIRO. They use 20l in their calculation giving a higher theoretical payload figure. In order to justify this they have invented a 'travel' setting and provided a way to achieve that with taps and drains accordingly.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I keep saying that there is a difference

Of course there is a difference, it's physics. If you have a haircut before you leave, there will be a difference. I'm just saying it's an inconsequential difference.

As for the travelling miles and miles with a full tank, robbing you of all that energy and fuel.:rolleyes: In my experience, it's those longer journeys where plans can go awry, that we are glad we didn't set off with just enough for two loo flushes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Empty and fill whenever can. Just always want the flexibility, especially when we travel abroad without a campsite booking.
We leave the uk with full diesel as well even when it's usually cheaper on the continent, just want to get cracked on with the journey or holiday.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Of course there is a difference, it's physics. If you have a haircut before you leave, there will be a difference. I'm just saying it's an inconsequential difference.

As for the travelling miles and miles with a full tank, robbing you of all that energy and fuel.:rolleyes: In my experience, it's those longer journeys where plans can go awry, that we are glad we didn't set off with just enough for two loo flushes.
You would have to either very heavy hair or a big Barnet to be 3.5% of the weight of your van. 😃😃

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Empty and fill whenever can. Just always want the flexibility, especially when we travel abroad without a campsite booking.
We leave the uk with full diesel as well even when it's usually cheaper on the continent, just want to get cracked on with the journey or holiday.
I have 550kg payload. If I had a full fuel tank and a full water tank that would be at least a third of it gone.

This subject seems to come round every year.....or is it monthly. 😂😂

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I always remember our first trip to Turkey in the Moho. Needed to go to Bruges on route to get the EU passport for the dog. Set off early March.
Anyway night before departure it was freezing, so I didn’t fill up with water.
The plan was to get it on route when since we were using the Moho with the heating on, day and night there would be no problem worrying that the frost control would empty the water.
Guess what? No where to get water, all turned off in Northern Europe because of the cold.
I then have two problems:

1) No water for personal use, we had bottled water for drinking.

2) The worst problem? had to listen to my wife moaning “ you’ve ( obviously not us) have wasted all this money on a motorhome and we have to live like peasants with no running water, I didn’t sign up for this”
Well lesson learnt from Motorhome fun, I’ve purchased a hot water bottle so I can make sure the water is not dumped if I fill up the night before.

Second lesson? Always fill the tank up to ensure I never have to go through that again.
A basic requirement to have water.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My son 10 days ago heading for a campsite, had an issue that meant they had to spend a night broken down, towed to a French trading estate to see a mechanic the next day. After spending all day in 30 degree heat, I'm sure they appreciated being able to get a shower before getting into bed, and didn't regret the 0.002p that it cost them to carry that lovely cool shower water in their full tank.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just a thought, you guys who have the payload but would rather not carry any water, maybe we could commission Grommet to write a program that allows us to get away with the minimum amount of diesel in our tanks at any one time.

Imagine an app that will tell you to just put two litres in here, because there is another fuel station on our route 29.2 miles away and that two litres will get us there as light as possible. Just think of the money we could save running without all that diesel weighing us down and affecting our handling and braking. :D

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
There are a few golden rules now we are a little older.
1 never miss an opportunity to use a loo
2 never trust a fart
3 never waste a standing member
4 never waste an opportunity to empty your waste water tank
5 never miss a chance to top up your fresh water tank.

If you break these rules it can lead to disappointment, embarrassment or regret
And sometimes all three.
D

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am 100kg I think. 210lb.
Swmbo weight a state secret but must be of the same order. 2 dogs total 50kg.
I never notice any difference whether fresh is full or empty, but Always try to travel with grey empty as it is behind the rear axle. We have two other passenger seats but have never used them.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is nothing to suggest that our tank is not safe to carry 100litres. I think it's all about the calculation of the MIRO. They use 20l in their calculation giving a higher theoretical payload figure. In order to justify this they have invented a 'travel' setting and provided a way to achieve that with taps and drains accordingly.
So a fiddle!

Or a bodge

Or flaky engineering

Your choice

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
There are a few golden rules now we are a little older.
1 never miss an opportunity to use a loo
2 never trust a fart
3 never waste a standing member
4 never waste an opportunity to empty your waste water tank
5 never miss a chance to top up your fresh water tank.

If you break these rules it can lead to disappointment, embarrassment or regret
And sometimes all three.
D
..... I suspect your REAL Identity is either Boris Johnson OR Nicola Sturgeon. :whistle2:

OR possibly the illegitimate love-child of BOTH ! :LOL:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is a compromise if dodgy converters are pulling the payload “wool” or aren’t fixing tanks safely enough to do the job intended

They could advise customers to save payload and improve fuel consumption to only every put 10 litres of diesel in when travelling!

Obviously it’s OK to use the full 70 litres capacity when stationary though 👍🏻

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Second lesson? Always fill the tank up to ensure I never have to go through that again.
Go through what though? Not having water for a shower etc or the subsequent earache because you didn't have the water? :giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back