Toll free Alp passes for motorhomes

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Using chat gpt and our own experirnce I’ve compiled a short list of motorhome friendly , toll free pass routes across the Alps . Have I missed any ?

Fern Pass
simplon
Great st Bernard
San Bernardino
Ofen
Brenner (avoiding motorway sections )
Reschen

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Furka Pass, Col du Lauteret

(Isn't the Bielsa Tunnel in the Pyrenees, not the Alps)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Fluela pass
Vrsic pass
Wurzenpass
Loiblpass
Simplon pass
Sustenpass
Grimselpass

I’ll think of some more👍👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Forgot to add one of the really sensible/routes passes to traverse the alps that is easy on the mechanics of your motorhome, is the Felbertauerntunnel BUT it is €11
So if you don’t want to cook your brakes on the grossglockner, that’s your alternative👍👍👍

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Julien pass but its very twisty turny ....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
I've done the grosslockner pass, it's beautiful, but did stop half way down to cool brakes, it makes sense. Lovely campsite at the end of it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Itineo CM660
Exp
Campervan/MH Since 2019, caravan from 1990
That’s good advice on the Grossglockner, we hope to be travelling over next weekend. We went that way many years ago with our children when they were toddlers. The views were spectacular. So this will be our first time in our Motorhome.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Forgot to add one of the really sensible/routes passes to traverse the alps that is easy on the mechanics of your motorhome, is the Felbertauerntunnel BUT it is €11
So if you don’t want to cook your brakes on the grossglockner, that’s your alternative👍👍👍
And we all know how much brake you can buy for 11 of anything but remind me, what's the view like out your windows in that tunnel???

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
And we all know how much brake you can buy for 11 of anything but remind me, what's the view like out your windows in that tunnel???
What’s that supposed to mean?? I’ve done both routes over 20-30 times and always used the tunnel when the weathers closed in, I’ve been stopped in the rain at the bottom of the grossglockner booths only to be told it’s snowing like hell up the top, so yes the view out the windows in the darkness was a lot safer than sliding down the road or even looking into the fog on top🤷‍♂️🙄
The only other alternative south is the A10 which is go box territory for us and even that’s got a toll between the two tunnels on there🤷‍♂️

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I think the stelvio is still free, but I haven’t been over that for a few years👍

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Thanks to all I’ve now got a great list and lots of options on my next trip (assuming weather is good )

IMG_2182.png

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
What’s that supposed to mean?? I’ve done both routes over 20-30 times and always used the tunnel when the weathers closed in, I’ve been stopped in the rain at the bottom of the grossglockner booths only to be told it’s snowing like hell up the top, so yes the view out the windows in the darkness was a lot safer than sliding down the road or even looking into the fog on top🤷‍♂️🙄
The only other alternative south is the A10 which is go box territory for us and even that’s got a toll between the two tunnels on there🤷‍♂️
It wasn't meant to upset anybody, just a reference to the concept that sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.

And I speak as one who was riding in his father's car when he discovered the Grossglockner's effect on brake shoes (it was shoes, not pads) - mother wasn't happy but it's ok, the view was lovely. And it still is.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I do find that any road we travel can be a bit ( the same/similar view the more you travel it)

Hence change it around, don’t travel the same type of road/coast until you hate it!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Thanks to all I’ve now got a great list and lots of options on my next trip (assuming weather is good )

View attachment 920268
If you stay at the campsite at kotchatch mauthern, at the top of the Plockenpaß, (which is lovely btw) don’t turn left out of the gate and head towards Sillian (Italy) it’s a bit, shall we say, interesting! I won’t make that mistake again🤭🤭

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
We used that tunnel when we came back from Croatia when we wanted to have a easy route, very impressed with it. We have done Grossglocker and yes its amazing but not for every quick journey.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
Of these passes which are >3.5 tonne. friendly i.e. no digital toll boxes required ? entry and exit accross alps ? We use a train this last year gong and never agin far too restricted on width.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That’s good advice on the Grossglockner, we hope to be travelling over next weekend. We went that way many years ago with our children when they were toddlers. The views were spectacular. So this will be our first time in our Motorhome.
There is a €33 toll on the Grossglockner (if your motorhome 'looks' like its under 3500kg).
But it's well worth the cost on a fine day
There are loads of places to pull over for photos
(If there is heavy cloud I'd not bother to go over.)

You need to know how the manual override in your automatic box works.
I managed to do the decent with only slight use of the brakes.

In a manual vehicle you should not need breaks at all, watch to locals, they never touch them on the passes.
To be fair I learnt to drive in old Land Rovers where it was essential to use engine braking (as breaks were 'optional')

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
There is a toll at the top, so if you want to descend on the other side
(as opposed to going back the way you came up)
Then the cost is €7 from memory
It’s so long ago I can’t remember. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
There is a €33 toll on the Grossglockner (if your motorhome 'looks' like its under 3500kg).
But it's well worth the cost on a fine day
There are loads of places to pull over for photos
(If there is heavy cloud I'd not bother to go over.)

You need to know how the manual override in your automatic box works.
I managed to do the decent with only slight use of the brakes.

In a manual vehicle you should not need breaks at all, watch to locals, they never touch them on the passes.
To be fair I learnt to drive in old Land Rovers where it was essential to use engine braking (as breaks were 'optional')
You managed to descend without using the brakes at all ? Doesn’t that put strain on the engine ? I used a combo but still had to cool the brakes

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Overall most mountain passes are free, and there’s hundreds of them. Then there are a few that are chargeable, often tunnels.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Using chat gpt and our own experirnce I’ve compiled a short list of motorhome friendly , toll free pass routes across the Alps . Have I missed any ?

Fern Pass
simplon
Great st Bernard
San Bernardino
Ofen
Brenner (avoiding motorway sections )
Reschen
Arlberg pass? Missing out the toll tunnel ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back