Toll free Alp passes for motorhomes

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Using chat gpt and our own experirnce I’ve compiled a short list of motorhome friendly , toll free pass routes across the Alps . Have I missed any ?

Fern Pass
simplon
Great st Bernard
San Bernardino
Ofen
Brenner (avoiding motorway sections )
Reschen
What are your criteria? Do you mean passes going from one country to another? For example, the Susten pass is listed above and it's a stunning road but it only takes you from one part of Switzerland to another bit of Switzerland.

It might be more useful to list the passes with tolls which folk might use to get from say France into Italy and of course the free alternative routes. :)

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
What are your criteria? Do you mean passes going from one country to another? For example, the Susten pass is listed above and it's a stunning road but it only takes you from one part of Switzerland to another bit of Switzerland.

It might be more useful to list the passes with tolls which folk might use to get from say France into Italy and of course the free alternative routes. :)
Yes you’re right , it’s passes that get us to or from Italy into the other countries . The criteria being ease of drive , views , toll free and possibly overnight stops

Reactions: DBK

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I came into Switzerland from Italy via mustair, then did the Fluela pass stopped at a lovely aire at fideris, then towards the oberalp pass to andermatt, then up onto the sustenpass towards Interlaken 👍👍 T’was a very nice Drive👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You managed to descend without using the brakes at all ? Doesn’t that put strain on the engine ? I used a combo but still had to cool the brakes
In an automatic even using the gears manually it's not possible to descend an Alpine pass without using the breaks at all.
But I was limiting break use to just the entry into the corners.
The straight decent between the corners you can mostly use manual engine braking.

What I noticed is a lot of automatic went down almost riding the breaks all the way (hence getting overheated), whereas my brakes would not have got more than little warm.

I've done descents of Alpine passes in a manual (Ford Transit base) van.
Totally possible to do without even touching the brakes,
to such an extent a English van behind me assumed both the bulbs had blown until I used the breaks to turn into the campsite at the bottom !

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Glad I have the advantage of a Telma retarder on my van😁having been up and down some savage roads in Switzerland and Austria the retarder has paid for itself.
Just click the lever and it slows down no need to touch a brake pedal I would think these should be standard on anything over say 5 ton🤔🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Glad I have the advantage of a Telma retarder on my van😁having been up and down some savage roads in Switzerland and Austria the retarder has paid for itself.
Just click the lever and it slows down no need to touch a brake pedal I would think these should be standard on anything over say 5 ton🤔🤔
Just read up on what they are - did u have it fitted aftermarket and may I ask what was the cost

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I came into Switzerland from Italy via mustair, then did the Fluela pass stopped at a lovely aire at fideris, then towards the oberalp pass to andermatt, then up onto the sustenpass towards Interlaken 👍👍 T’was a very nice Drive👍
I have book marked that thanks . Wish google maps would save routes as well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back