Tips for Motorhome Trip on NC500 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 9, 2023
Selby, UK
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
New to this
I am doing NC500 in July, any tips please and recommended campsites for a motor home

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
LWB Sprinter
Watch out for the idiot racers. There apparently is a group who compete for the fastest time with a cash prize.
I've met them a few times.
Slow down in the villages, that is the locals biggest complaint after people doing the toilet here there and everywhere.
Most locals hate the hype of the NN500 and the reduced facilities.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Done it several times and it is worth the effort. For me anti clockwise works best as you’re saving the west and the best till last but that’s just my opinion. There’s lots of You Tube videos and I bought a book by Charles Tait which was very helpful as it covers it comprehensively.
Even the single track roads are easy to drive at a leisurely pace. Keep focused front and rear and pull over to let anyone oncoming or in a hurry or faster than you pass.
Lots of places to just park up for a night and plenty of campsites to spend a couple of days, empty, fill, chill etc.
For me September is the best time, fewer people, fewer midges, days are still relatively long and whilst no guarantees the weather can be good.
It’s your trip. You decide how to do it, how long to take and what to stop and see and what time of year to go.
However you do it I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There is an ’advisory’ one-way system, anti-clockwise I think
Since when?

NO the adviced rotation is CLOCKWISE
and travelling anti clockwise infuriates the locals
Advised by whom?

probably the "impatient white van man"
was agitated because you were travelling in the opposite direction
to the Clockwise direction recommended for Motorhomes
Eh!

Go on then, post a link to this fictitious "recommendation".

Indeed. What a strange notion.

Ian

Upvote 0

Dougall

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 14, 2022
Kilmarnock, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
1 year
I am doing NC500 in July, any tips please and recommended campsites for a motor home
I don’t recommend you do it in July the dreaded midge😡 we went in September last year Sandgomore site Big Sands Oasis
we live in Scotland and wouldn’t recommend July better in May or September we went in April this year Ardtower in Invernessfirst night then Dunnet Bay then Sangosands Oasis then Clachtoll Beach my favourite Sands Caravan & Camping Reraig caravan and camping near Sky bridge all amazing enjoy

Upvote 0

Dougall

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 14, 2022
Kilmarnock, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
1 year
we live in Scotland and wouldn’t recommend July better in May or September we went in April this year Ardtower in Invernessfirst night then Dunnet Bay then Sangosands Oasis then Clachtoll Beach my favourite Sands Caravan & Camping Reraig caravan and camping near Sky bridge all amazing enjoy

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Few thoughts -
As above, gen-up on single track road etiquette
Allow loads of time, it might look a short distance on a map,,
Be flexible and allow for unscheduled stops
Respect the locals, it must feel like an invasion to them
Enjoy

The roads aren't anything out of the ordinary in terms of size (apart from one section which larger motorhomes are advised not to do). There are lots of passing places where is becomes less wide. Devon/Cornwall much worse.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you all for your advice, bit worried about going in July now but already booked, will just have to cope with midges
Many people visit without being midged. It's a bit luck-of-the-draw with regards to weather, and also depends on your EXACT location re things like long grass, standing water, shade, direction of breeze etc. If they turn up, move; if you can't move, your only option is to go indoors. Standard fly-screens won't keep them out. Make sure you have long sleeves, long trousers, Smidge, and anti-histamine.
Check out this webpage, it tells you all you need to know:
I think we were only driven indoors a couple of times during the whole of last year (but I did go south for a couple of months...)

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you all for your advice, bit worried about going in July now but already booked, will just have to cope with midges
What exactly have you booked? If it's campsites then surely you have plenty of time to cancel. If it's just the motorhome hire, then surely you are free to travel elsewhere?

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What exactly have you booked? If it's campsites then surely you have plenty of time to cancel. If it's just the motorhome hire, then surely you are free to travel elsewhere?
Why, though? Midgie activity is restricted to specific conditions and specific times of day (or locations that mimic the effects of dawn & dusk), and thousands of people travel here - even during the 'high season' - without ever meeting a midgie and have a fantastic holiday. And thousands of us live and work in the area. Research, and act on the information.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Why, though? Midgie activity is restricted to specific conditions and specific times of day (or locations that mimic the effects of dawn & dusk), and thousands of people travel here - even during the 'high season' - without ever meeting a midgie and have a fantastic holiday. And thousands of us live and work in the area. Research, and act on the information.
What, you mean the whole of Scotland isn't really covered in one huge cloud of midges ? :LOL:

Upvote 0

Gyro

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleep KemertonXL
Exp
since 2003
We did what is now called the NC500 long before it was so named. It was unspoilt, quiet and beautiful but now it is busy and polluted by so many Motorhomes, spoiling many of the stop off points with some of our friends from the continent parking overnight in inappropriate places, owning the roads and driving as though they’re on autobahns. (They’re not all like that but there are general traits) We still visit Scotland but don’t do the NC500. However, Scotland is a beautiful place best enjoyed out of season, albeit colder.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2023
Poolewe, Achnasheen, UK
Funster No
MH
B704 SL
Exp
Hymer
Few thoughts -
As above, gen-up on single track road etiquette
Allow loads of time, it might look a short distance on a map,,
Be flexible and allow for unscheduled stops
Respect the locals, it must feel like an invasion to them
Enjoy
We live on the NC500, moved from Somerset to IV22 2JU during the pandemic, lots of motorhomes and camper vans on the NC500 (as well as ours too of course 😃), be mindful and prepared for midges but don’t let them put you off, they won’t come into your m/home, and a slight breeze blows them away, sun deters them to, there is no one way system round the NC500 but save the best (West coast) for last! so come and enjoy the Highlands, you won’t regret it! Carol

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2010
As mentioned above July is not the best time but you might be taking someone on school holiday. I would go up the east coast and down the west as the scenery will get better and better.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2023
Poolewe, Achnasheen, UK
Funster No
MH
B704 SL
Exp
Hymer
Watch out for the idiot racers. There apparently is a group who compete for the fastest time with a cash prize.
I've met them a few times.
Slow down in the villages, that is the locals biggest complaint after people doing the toilet here there and everywhere.
Most locals hate the hype of the NN500 and the reduced facilities.
Without tourists how would the Highlands carry on…

Upvote 0

Geoff51

Free Member
Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
You've asked for 'tips' so here's a few. I'm NOT trying to put you off, just to help you prepare. The main tip of course is to take it as slowly as you can, relax, absorb the place, be prepared to only do a part of it and come back again and again...

LPG
If you're on a tank, be miserly with your use of lpg and top up whenever the opportunity arises, fill places are few and far between. Certainly start with a full tank - Tore service station and Evelix service stations usually have a supply but always phone ahead to check.
INSECTS
Folks go on about midgies (use Smidge), but ticks can be worse - you won't know you've picked one up until you have a good look in all your nooks and crannies (read up on how to remove them and get a Tick Card), and try to avoid cleggs which HURT (you'll need to cover up). You may not encounter ANY of these!
ROADS
Single track roads have passing places approx every half mile or within the distance you can see (obviously it can't always be achieved due to terrain). Leave at least one passing place between you and any vehicle in front. Be aware of traffic behind you - passing places are also there so that you can allow other vehicles to pass you from behind. Look well ahead and if you see a vehicle approaching, signal 'left' and either pull into a passing place if it's on your left, or stop (on the left) opposite a passing place if it's on your right. Don't try to be helpful by cutting across to the right - this is a recipe for grid-lock. If you (or an opposing vehicle) haven't stopped in time, you must be able to reverse for potentially long distances and round bends, often with no defined edge to your road. NEVER be tempted to use the verge to pass - there's a reason that roads are single track and it's usually because there's a ditch or a bog at the side. Recovery can be expensive! But single-track roads are easy really.
Two-way roads can be more of a challenge than single-track as they're often narrow and very wiggly yet carry wide vehicles. Be prepared to give way to timber lorries, tourist coaches, RVs, etc. AFAIK the only wing-mirror replacement place is Inverness.
Many tourists are from places where driving is on the right hand side of the road. This leads to lots of occasions of people ending up on the wrong side for the UK and a good few accidents each year.

Plus all the usual of course about not parking on verges; taking all rubbish away; not lighting fires; etc.
What a sensible and well written bunch of tips and advice. I think you’ve nailed it. 👍

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Learn how to drive on "Single track roads with passing places".
Learn what the passing places are there for, and how to use them correctly.
Learn how to use mirrors, and let faster traffic past - chances are it'll be locals and/or those working or going about their day.
Never pick a fight with a logging lorry ... you'll lose every time.

Midges. We're not a nation covered in a huge blanket of midges. The east coast doesn't tend to have midges, but do have mosquitoes - the poor mans midge.
Usually found between beginning of May till September, and is weather dependant. Only the female bites, the males are nice and cuddly. They normally come out to feed at breakfast and supper - the rest of the day they'll spend processing the blood of a tourist. They love warm moist areas (oi oi!) - so go wandering around a loch early evening, and .... the locals will be pointing and laughing.
Midges cannot fly in wind anything more than a few mph. Anything over that, and all sorties cancelled, and confined to barracks.
Buy a headnet. They look silly, and you'll look a berk wearing one, but better than waking up with a face looking like a dot to do.
If you're going to go walking up in the forests - over up. Long sleeves and trouser are order of the day.
Sprays: Some work for some people, none work for all people. Smidges works for me, but not for my wife - but that's her problem.
Most of the NC500 is a coastal road - therefore any midges have probably been blown several miles inland.

And lastly. There's far better drives to be had here in scotland. The NC500 is there to keep most of the tourists away from us ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We have done the NC500 every year since 2010 in March/April/May and September. We’ve done clockwise and anticlockwise without any problems whatsoever. The route is fantastic and the addition of various council overnight parking spots for £10 per night makes it even more enjoyable if unable to book a site. Our favourite site being Sango Sands at Durness, and a visit to the John Lennon Memorial Garden adjacent to the village hall.
All in all second only to walking the West Highland Way. 🚍🚍🚍

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Toby2018.... plenty mention of midgies in July but also kids.....
Remember Scottish school holidays start about 3 weeks before those in Englandshire...👍👍👍👍

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Few thoughts -
Can I please ask where you heard that????
So you are saying someone who lives on the NC500 and needs to go to the next village to the local CO'OP 5miles away are advised on a 500 miles round trip.???
Think you must have got that from Facetube🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Can I please ask where you heard that????
So you are saying someone who lives on the NC500 and needs to go to the next village to the local CO'OP 5miles away are advised on a 500 miles round trip.???
Think you must have got that from Facetube🤣🤣
No. It's that people doing the NC500 are recommended to go anticlockwise. If the majority of people are heading in the same direction, there's less congestion.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No. It's that people doing the NC500 are recommended to go anticlockwise. If the majority of people are heading in the same direction, there's less congestion.

Recommended by whom?

Most favour going in one direction but they’re sheeply in nature.

Ian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back