This is why the locals don’t like motorhomes…

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I was walking the dog when I first replied to this so I couldn't answer each point individually... but I'll do so now .

The car park maybe free BUT the campsites, b&b etc near it aren't and it's often down to those businesses complaining that someone is getting something free that cause an issue.

Some leave no trace = then they should be free and able to park there.

Some don't = then that's the ones that should be fined , or confronted by those who do leave no trace.
We don't imprison everyone because someone commits murder. So why ban everyone because of a few bad apples?

Having something free? ...that's a rare thing these days but it shouldn't be. The world is how old ? It was once free , man decided they were more entitled to it so bred like rabbits and slowly those who could fight better took land from those who couldn't, eventually the lie of "civilised " and "society" came about , we got police to deal with murder and theft ...but created more and more acquirement of property , often by force or by using others .

So now we have a world where everything is owned by someone, you're born a slave. Forced to go to school where you're trained to be a better slave , a few might escape but the masses are there to provide and enrich those at the top. You're appeased with a wage that if you're lucky will provide more than just basic food and shelter and you're imprisoned by rule upon rule that you must obey.

Yes you will think I'm mad ...many do

I don't care

I would rather just live my life in my own way , I don't kill , I don't steal , I don't leave rubbish or waste lying around...but in truth I would much rather be able to have somewhere I can live , support myself and say bugger off to the rest of the world lol ...but I can't because of property and rules .

I'm one of the few people who really can't wait for a massive natural disaster to just wipe us all out so the earth can start again.

Greed and selfishness annoys me , and I don't mean selfish as someone parking a van by a Loch for a few weeks to so some free fishing

I.mean selfish as in the thousands of people who tell them they can't . Because it spoils their view or takes money from a campsite or simply because they're living life different from the trained drones of the world.

And deep down I believe those in power globally know this , they know the world is over populated and life can't continue as it is .

Greed will kill everyone in the end
In a nutshell basically. If I don't like it, you can't do it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Motorhomers don't use shops , pubs , cafes etc ?
Not as frequently as the tourists in cars, if tourists are such a benefit then why in areas with Airbnb and Holliday homes have local post offices and shops shut?

The whole point of a Motorhome is to be pretty self sufficient so I don’t understand the argument that MoHo owners keep shops and business going. Are you really dinning out 3 times a day most are not maybe an odd meal here and there.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don't think i know , if you read the post you replied to I already said why business suffers. Most of the motorhomes and some caravans that parked there used the chip shop , the restaurant, the tea rooms and the half dozen arbroath smokie shops that the town is famous for . If there was 20/30 vans before and now only 6 at a time that's a potential loss of 24 customers every day/weekend
how many times do you realistically go out in a day and purchase locally ? Probably less than a tourist in a car.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
how many times do you realistically go out in a day and purchase locally ? Probably less than a tourist in a car.
We always purchase locally when away in the van. We occasionally have breakfast out, we have every lunch out and some dinners. Food for the van is purchased locally and we spend time in the local shops.

Likes collected
Funster No
Being polite, considerate, unobtrusive and passionate about leaving things well cared for, for others....

Seems to be laughed at these days, I mean, whats the consequence of acting like a lowlife Fu%3pig, its a giggle isn't it??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Not as frequently as the tourists in cars, if tourists are such a benefit then why in areas with Airbnb and Holliday homes have local post offices and shops shut?

The whole point of a Motorhome is to be pretty self sufficient so I don’t understand the argument that MoHo owners keep shops and business going. Are you really dinning out 3 times a day most are not maybe an odd meal here and there.
I eat out , drink out and shop every day . Of course not all motorhomes do .
Tourists in cars with their picnics and flasks ?
Staying overnight , probably do more shopping etc
Would add , to me , the point of having a motorhome is to wander everywhere enjoying the local food , drink and attractions .
Odd you mention shops shutting in areas with holiday homes , Airbnb etc . I assume , if that is the case , these car driving tourists don't shop locally

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I think there is a balance there. We do not eat out every day but we do buy provisions in the local stores. Unfortunately, here in the Canaries, that means Mercadona, Hiperdino, Lidl or your favorite hypermarket which means adding to the bottom line of multinationals not locals. But the staff are local and they have jobs. So being objective here, I would suggest that motor homers DO contribute to local economy but not as much as we/they would like.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95

As tesco says

Every little helps.

If I spend £5 in a bakers , or £50 in a supermarket or petrol station it's money they wouldn't have had if I didn't. Multiply that by however many they get a year and its still profit for that business.

The locals don't eat out 3 times a day either

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Most car visitors are there for a day , I'd say a small percentage spend money in every place they visit. I watched a minibus of 9 people today walk to see vialden Castle in Luxembourg, didn't pay to go in and had a lunch of sandwiches and bansnas back at the minibus throwing the banana skins in the bushes and having a pee in them before they left 🤷‍♂️

It's all speculation.

I was only In Luxembourg 4 hours but spent €8 😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Most car visitors are there for a day , I'd say a small percentage spend money in every place they visit. I watched a minibus of 9 people today walk to see vialden Castle in Luxembourg, didn't pay to go in and had a lunch of sandwiches and bansnas back at the minibus throwing the banana skins in the bushes and having a pee in them before they left 🤷‍♂️

It's all speculation.

I was only In Luxembourg 4 hours but spent €8 😁
Can you just clarify , did they pee in the banana skins or the bushes ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Serious question why do you think business will suffer? MoHo tend to be self contained and it’s unlikely that passing through in a moho is going to make any difference to most business’s
I strongly disagree on a personal basis ... We tend to make & have breakfast in the van in the mornings BECAUSE it takes us both an hour or two to get our arthritic joints unseized AND I like to enjoy the views out of the windows with a lubricating cup of coffee or three.

However, although we often don't bother having lunch, when we do, we like to find a local cafe and enjoy paying them to do the cooking & cleaning.

When it comes to dinners, we probably eat out 50% of the time for the same reason, but even when we decide to eat in the van because we're knackered or worn out, we will often buy a takeaway from a local shop IF we aren't out in the middle of nowhere.

And even when we ARE in the middle of nowhere (as we don't like formal camp sites) ... We DO buy much of our onboard food from local shops.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
The bushes. One was also doing that snorting snot from his throat and spitting it everywhere disgusting sods
This is a national pastime in Laos or Cambodia, I can’t remember which. Blokes hawking and spitting constantly. Near made me throw up. Disgusting but obviously culturally acceptable.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
This is a national pastime in Laos or Cambodia, I can’t remember which. Blokes hawking and spitting constantly. Near made me throw up. Disgusting but obviously culturally acceptable.
It's minging as we say in Scotland. He was also doing that thing where they put a finger against one side of the nose then blow the contents of the other side everywhere. I was having lunch in the van at the time and he was right outside my window. 🤮

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan
It's minging as we say in Scotland. He was also doing that thing where they put a finger against one side of the nose then blow the contents of the other side everywhere. I was having lunch in the van at the time and he was right outside my window. 🤮
Footballers do it all the time .
Apparently it's the most efficient way to clear your nose .
No not very attractive

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Don’t worry, that will be in the papers. Motorhomers leaving snot everywhere.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
In Belgium now and another car driver pissin in front of my camper although the time he's taken I'm not sure it's just a pee he's having
20240725_202939.jpg

It's been a daily occurrence all through Germany, Luxembourg earlier today and now Belgium

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019

We rarely have any meals out. Our choice. We will have a coffee and cake, though. Obviously fuel has to be bought, sometimes that is at a supermarket, sometimes at an independent fuel station. Some food, at local shops usually, although that might be a local coop. We certainly dont go looking for big supermarkets. We will buy other things, however. Just thinking of June's trip to Scotland we bought books (Wigtown, where else) clothing, souvenirs.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
In Belgium now and another car driver pissin in front of my camper although the time he's taken I'm not sure it's just a pee he's having View attachment 928050

It's been a daily occurrence all through Germany, Luxembourg earlier today and now Belgium
Blimey Tam , that's the third time you've posted that, did it annoy you that much :ROFLMAO:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It’s a lovely drive along the coast on the A77

View attachment 927111
Right in my backyard, my bedroom windows in Ayr looked onto Goat Fell on Arran & I loved it.
Moved to the edge of The Galloway Forest park 25yrs ago & never looked back, 5mins from the door I'm out is a beautiful deserted land.

Now to wade into the debate about wild camping/parking for the night.
I've been used to wild camping in a motorhome in the Galloway area since the early 60s when campsites were a bit thin on the ground.
However, I don't mind paying for a site at any time, but my true love is wild camping. I always go to area's where houses are minimal or better still non-existent. I have many little nooks n crannies which are deserted where my presence isn't harming anyone, I just adore the peace & quiet.
If someone had a legitimate reason to ask me to move along, I would do so without quibble.
I have a favourite spot where the road is tarmac to camp, no-through road, perfect phone signal with 5g internet & in all my years of going there, I have yet to see a living soul, plenty of deer etc but that's it. I doubt if I could be spotted by someone searching for me visually by helicopter.
Now since lock down, my local loch, Loch Doon which has a lovely campsite, but lots still cram in with camper vans/motorhome's in the passing places, the place looks terrible at times, all that & "camp fires", cutting branches from trees & rubbish left behind cause a lot of ill feeling locally. My point here is that its the selfish behavior of the few that spoil it for the many.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I strongly disagree on a personal basis ... We tend to make & have breakfast in the van in the mornings BECAUSE it takes us both an hour or two to get our arthritic joints unseized AND I like to enjoy the views out of the windows with a lubricating cup of coffee or three.

However, although we often don't bother having lunch, when we do, we like to find a local cafe and enjoy paying them to do the cooking & cleaning.

When it comes to dinners, we probably eat out 50% of the time for the same reason, but even when we decide to eat in the van because we're knackered or worn out, we will often buy a takeaway from a local shop IF we aren't out in the middle of nowhere.

And even when we ARE in the middle of nowhere (as we don't like formal camp sites) ... We DO buy much of our onboard food from local shops.
That’s fine but with respect you are not the norm most use their motorhomes occasionally and load them up before traveling.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We rarely have any meals out. Our choice. We will have a coffee and cake, though. Obviously fuel has to be bought, sometimes that is at a supermarket, sometimes at an independent fuel station. Some food, at local shops usually, although that might be a local coop. We certainly dont go looking for big supermarkets. We will buy other things, however. Just thinking of June's trip to Scotland we bought books (Wigtown, where else) clothing, souvenirs.
This is probably closer to the normal for most.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think there is a balance there. We do not eat out every day but we do buy provisions in the local stores. Unfortunately, here in the Canaries, that means Mercadona, Hiperdino, Lidl or your favorite hypermarket which means adding to the bottom line of multinationals not locals. But the staff are local and they have jobs. So being objective here, I would suggest that motor homers DO contribute to local economy but not as much as we/they would like.
This is probably near the normal, once supplies have been run down it’s off to the supermarket to top up. Humans are animals of habit so people tend to gravitate to the supermarkets they are familiar with and tend to buy similar food stuff each week.

We are in Yorkshire for a short brake we won’t be buying anything as we have it all onboard

But here is the thing we may top up our cupboards when away and that means we are not spending locally. The good thing is a visitor may spend in our neck of the woods so it probably ballences out so does tourism in motorhomes help the local economies in any significant way…probably not

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
In Belgium now and another car driver pissin in front of my camper although the time he's taken I'm not sure it's just a pee he's having View attachment 928050

Are you sure you're not in France where this is 'de riguer'?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
This is probably near the normal, once supplies have been run down it’s off to the supermarket to top up. Humans are animals of habit so people tend to gravitate to the supermarkets they are familiar with and tend to buy similar food stuff each week.

We are in Yorkshire for a short brake we won’t be buying anything as we have it all onboard

But here is the thing we may top up our cupboards when away and that means we are not spending locally. The good thing is a visitor may spend in our neck of the woods so it probably ballences out so does tourism in motorhomes help the local economies in any significant way…probably not
Don't know about anyone else but I'm not that fussed about helping the local economy. If I need something I buy it if I don't i dont. I very rarely eat out but then I also very rarely ate out at home. Mostly because I often feel I can cook something just as nice for a 5th of the price. And I don't have to worry if I spill food on my shirt 😉.

That's half the problem as councils, restaurants, campsite owners etc are all under the great big delusion that all motorhome owners are wealthy where in truth I'd say possibly 25% to maybe a third are , the rest probably spent the greatest part of their wealth buying the motorhome and now live on a modest pension or they're young families etc who chose motorhoming as a cheaper alternative to going abroad etc. .. and then there's others like myself for whom it's not a holiday its a lifestyle ,I live in mine fulltime and I live on a budget, I prefer to travel distance and time over spending a lot of money on a short term break . I've just done 9 months , 10 countries on approximately £7k

I've no doubt I put money in to many local economies that wouldn't have had it had I not visited but I'm also aware I didn't spend lavishly.

But I don't see why I should have to. But then I don't actually consider myself a tourist... more a traveller. I travel to explore places , not to eat out etc.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back