This is why the locals don’t like motorhomes… (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Saw this today on my travels, I can understand staying for the night as it’s a beautiful area but there’s lots of out the way places for that, looks like they’ve been there for a while….

IMG_0520.jpeg
IMG_0521.jpeg

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Saw this today on my travels
Curiously enough I was looking at an identical sign to that earlier today at Port William on the eastern side of Luce Bay.
Looking in the background of your second photo I would think you are on the western side towards New England Bay.

We'll give you a wave in the morning (y) ::bigsmile:

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yep, that sort of thing is exactly why lots of Lincolnshire coastal areas now don't allow any MH / large vehicle parking at all now, and also why some south coast areas now have barriers and restrictions. Because people can't obey signs, and treat it as some kind of badge of honour to park despite them, and then get all uptight when the restrictions are tightened up or increased.

I mean, this particular lot are carefully positioned to mean that absolutely NO ONE else gets any view, except of them. Sheesh.
This sort of stuff really pisses me off because ultimately it just makes life harder for all those of us who want to use and enjoy our vans without getting hostile reactions, caused by the totally selfish behaviour of a very large minority. (This is not 'a few vans', this is a problem which LOTS of vans/MH owners are making worse.) :madder:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Saw this today on my travels, I can understand staying for the night as it’s a beautiful area but there’s lots of out the way places for that, looks like they’ve been there for a while….

View attachment 927068
View attachment 927069

I cannot read the detail on the signs. Do any of them have reference to a TRO or ByLaw?

If not I assume they are unenforceable.

That may also answer the next poster Q as to why authorities do not send one of the 'wardens(who they have sitting around on pay + pension).

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
So much for arrive late, leave early with no trace when touring.
Its all Me, Me, Me! they don't even consider other peoples views, its all about them until they are forced to move, then they feel hard done by! You can almost hear them say "What harm were we doing?":swear::banghead:
Awnings & chairs out is bad enough but Tents Oh Please!!
I wish I was local, cos I would definitely be having a word, followed by a police call, trouble is there will probably be others to follow on from them, until heavy fines are imposed, spoiling it for everyone one of us.
LES

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I wonder, just wonder if it’s a drop down to the beach and if that is actually safe parking such a weight by the edge. May well get woken up when it’s laying on the beach 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Just smiffy That looks like Ardwell. 😥 😥 😥

Which used to be the most gorgeous parking spot where you could quietly sit all day, have a walk, have a swim, have time to just "be" and relax, and then leave at the end of the day.

Last time I went past there it had turned into an encampment: despite multiple signs saying "No overnight" almost every inch of the place was taken up with vans, awnings, windbreaks, fires. Quite horrible, impossible for anyone to stop just for an hour or more, felt quite threatening for a single traveller.

I drove away with sadness, suspecting I would never be able to return.
Bloody selfish bar-stewards ruining a place where I had previously found much peace and solace.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's the same between Whitby and sandsend. There's an access to the beach half way along the road last week there were 10 or so campers that had gone down it I'll get a picture of the signs. There's already a lot of locals getting upset about motorhomes taking all the parking along the road in sandsend and locals not being able to park to walk their dogs on the beach ( quite a bit at Whitby is dog free in the summer). Motorhomes do have just as much right to park there all day as everyone else quite rightly but very few cars stay as long as the motorhomes I suspect it's heading for a maximum of a few hours for everyone.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Playing devils advocate and zooming in on that map I think the sign has been put up there purely because there's a campsite or aire of some description just next to it. So the sign isn't to protect anything other than the site/aire wallet 😉.

The tents fair enough are a bit much. But I do get fed up of no motorhomes signs put up for no other reason.

After all I've parked in many places next to beaches , rivers, lochs etc , the view is all around .... move a foot in front of the vans and the view is unhindered🤷‍♂️

If there was no sign there would people be so offended?
Screenshot_20240724_081722_Chrome.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Weegies on holiday, it’s the Glasgow fair.
That's exactly my thought. And they've done that for over 25 years... every layby in the trossachs etc always had caravans, tents with guys fishing etc.

Not a popular opinion but personally I don't see a problem as long as there's no mess left.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
There are many places and car parks which expressly forbid overnight parking of caravans, Motorhomes etc., yet lack of enforcement means they do what they want..

A good example is Walpole Bay at Margate… Multiple moho’s and caravans staying nights on end taking up lots of space and a number blaring out music at all hours..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So much for arrive late, leave early with no trace when touring.
Its all Me, Me, Me! they don't even consider other peoples views, its all about them until they are forced to move, then they feel hard done by! You can almost hear them say "What harm were we doing?":swear::banghead:
Awnings & chairs out is bad enough but Tents Oh Please!!
I wish I was local, cos I would definitely be having a word, followed by a police call, trouble is there will probably be others to follow on from them, until heavy fines are imposed, spoiling it for everyone one of us.
LES
In the grand scheme of things though what HARM are they actually doing?

If they leave no mess behind them , whilst I don't do it myself but a bit of scorched grass from a fire ,or a yellowed bit grass from a tent is not the end of the world. It will grow back. Blocking someone's view isn't really a national crime either.

I know I have a different outlook from many on this but this modern day society really bugs me .

I'm not religious either but it seems to me there were originally 10 serious laws lol.

There was nowt about though shall not park a van blocking a view
Or thou shall not pitch a
Tent.

I just think nowadays people need to just mind their own business, leave folk alone. And stop making everything about money.

I think the only harm these folk are doing is devoiding a local campsite of a few quid.
And I'm OK with that.

If they leave a mess behind them then my opinion will change but otherwise they'll be there a few days , maybe a week and then they'll be gone .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There are many places and car parks which expressly forbid overnight parking of caravans, Motorhomes etc., yet lack of enforcement means they do what they want..

A good example is Walpole Bay at Margate… Multiple moho’s and caravans staying nights on end taking up lots of space and a number blaring out music at all hours..
And what is the genuine reason for the bans ?

Other than financial etc?

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Playing devils advocate and zooming in on that map I think the sign has been put up there purely because there's a campsite or aire of some description just next to it. So the sign isn't to protect anything other than the site/aire wallet 😉.

The tents fair enough are a bit much. But I do get fed up of no motorhomes signs put up for no other reason.

After all I've parked in many places next to beaches , rivers, lochs etc , the view is all around .... move a foot in front of the vans and the view is unhindered🤷‍♂️

If there was no sign there would people be so offended?View attachment 927215

I would have stayed there overnight Tam as there is plenty of room and easy to tuck yourself away at the back of the parking, there in the evening and gone by mid morning… not blatant in your face taking the piss for weeks… I know you would have done the same but it’ll eventually get a height barrier on it then we’ll all be fecked…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back